Author Topic: Deer are moving around  (Read 1339 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Deer are moving around
« on: October 12, 2016, 01:26:30 AM »
This month and next seem to be THE big times for deer to be moving from their normal cover around here.
This means seeing deer in new and unexpected places.
Passed a large deer, struck on the road, this dark morning in an area where I have never seen deer before.
Fortunately, possibly, I was on the Burgman with its twin bright head lights, and picked it up well ahead with time and space to avoid the carcass.

I have logged this area into my recall and will be extra vigilant as I pass through. I have a half dozen such areas all over the this county and the next. I will be glad when we do the time change so I can get a bit more light in early mornings. However....my cruising speed on dark rural roads is always around 30mph. If vehicles come from behind, I signal them to pass and then fall in to their wakes.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

blue

• View Profile
Re: Deer are moving around
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 04:49:54 PM »
Nice to know ill going hunting for a week this year.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 05:56:25 PM »
This past weekend my wife and I had planned to take a ride from South Jersey to West Chester, PA. All in all about a 1 hour ride. The rain generated from Hurricane Matthew changed our plans. May have been for the best. Saw some dear out in both roads and in people’s yards. Plus, as an area I’ve never ridden in before I had no idea what would be around the corner -- road, open space, forest, deer, or more.

It’s darker earlier and longer this time of year -- least in my side of the coast. Ride safe everyone.

- Wolf

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 06:02:16 PM »
Tis the season. While riding through the mountains last week I came upon a deer on the side of the road. It turned to look at me and I was able to pat it on its head as I rode by. I'm not too concerned about deer as I am about wild turkeys. They get down right aggressive. lol

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 06:41:50 PM »
Wow! Amazing picture, Stig, those two at roadside slightly blurry because they boogie-ing away from YOU!

Deer go nuts in Tennessee when "huntin' season" starts. Two deer carcass on the TN 76 south of Brownsville, TN, one in the middle of the road after dark. Nearly impossible to see.....

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 10:44:36 PM »
Wish I could ride with my shot gun on my scoot.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 02:12:17 AM »
Wish I could ride with my shot gun on my scoot.

Not sure why you couldn't.
Using it would be a different matter, particularly if you were still moving.  :o
(Don't try this at home kids.  The rider is a trained professional wearing full armor, & someone else's body for safety)
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 03:29:08 AM »
As Crossbolt said the deer are really on the move here in west Tennessee. I live in Oakland and see does every time I drive or ride something. Have any of you ever put the "Deer Alerts" on your bikes? I've used them for years on scoots and motorcycles and all our cages have them. I believe they do work They are about $7. at Wallyworld and on the scoots you can hide them up over the front fender.
I've approached deer at night 4 to  5 hundred feet ahead in my headlights and seen their ears go up just before they dash off.  They also let the dogs know you're coming so they can get ready to chase you..

Mac aka ole two wheels
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()