Author Topic: New tyre, but which one?!  (Read 4207 times)

nushipwright

• View Profile
New tyre, but which one?!
« on: July 26, 2014, 03:02:03 PM »
I spent the last 4+ hours with reading. Mainly this forum about what tyres to buy for my ride, but I still can't feel the lightbulb above my head so to speak :)
I also did some preliminary research on what types of tyres I can get around here and for what price. Sunny UK.

Some thoughts on my current tyres:

The front tyre: I'm a bit worried about the state my front maxxis tyre (probably the factory original right?). Too many tiny-miny holes like cuts from erosion (road dirt) I guess and some cupping as well. And I would say the depth of the grooves is at it's limit. I'll add some photos later.

The rear: is a Viper Stryke (Avon?!) which is visually (for my layman eyes) in better condition than the front tyre. However on wet asphalt (understand heavy reain) I noticed loss of grip in cornering at speeds I would not consider too high. But maybe I'm wrong. I felt the rear wanting to get loose in round-abouts a few times. I also felt loosing grip at hard acceleration as well.

When I run onto thicker road paint sometimes the scoot becomes squirrely. No idea whether front or rear tyre causes this or perhaps the combination of the two tyres?!

Potential new tyres: (MAIN CITERIA: MUST HAVE GOOD GRIP in RAIN, and colder weather as well, snow not important)
I can buy the following around here:
The order in this list is random:
Heidenau K66 - I like these most but don't really know the reason... :)
Michelin City Grip
Michelin City Grip Winter
Michelin Power Pure SC
Metzeler Feelfree
Metzeler Feelfree Wintec
Pirelli Diablo
Dunlop Scootsmart - haven't got any RAIN info on these...

I would LOVE to know what others who regularly ride in rain are using on their DT300i?! And please comment on the tyres listed above.
Thank you in advance!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:53:05 AM by nushipwright »
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: New tyre, but which one?!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 06:41:50 PM »
I replaced the worn-out Maxxis rear on my DT300i with a Pirelli Diablo because that is what was available and the cheapest: less than $100 US. You have listed several others that appear to be approved by members of this forum and their opinions are the only ones that count, in my opinion. I used an Avon Viper Stryke on the rear of my Yager to replace the worn out Maxxis and was happy with it. I am happy with the Pirelli on the DT.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 07:17:48 PM »
The vipers are awesome in the dry, HORRIBLE in the rain. If you want a you're that is really good dry and good in the rain to, pilot pure is what I rock. The Pirelli Diablo looks like a really good tire, I've installed them but not tried personally.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 02:54:52 AM »
   I have used pirelli diablo, very good all around tire ,.  3rd. set of tires was pilot power pures,again very good all around tire 4 th. set of tires is power pures ,  I think I will try city grips next , but I HAVE NOT SEEN TIRES FOR THE FRONT END 120/80  14 all they have is 120/70  14,s,. for the rear they have 150/ 70  13 which is OK,.  heideneaus I hear they are very good but wear out fast be cause of the soft rubber and they are about $100. each  compared to city grips $ 53. 00  which is closes to the tread pattern of heideneau,s  they are all good tires so take your pick!

RubenC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 03:28:59 AM »
You will have to decide for yourself what tires are good for you and your scooter.  I have over 25k miles on my 2012 Downtown.  I tried 2 sets of Pirelli Diablo but I switched to Metzeler Feelfree last Fall.   I am now on my 2nd set of Metzeler's.  I was never really comfortable with the Pirelli's.  But when I switched to the Metzeler's, I could feel the difference between the Pirelli's and Metzeler's.  I am very comfortable with the Metzeler's and the way my scooter handles.

I thought about trying the Michelin's before I ordered my 2nd set of Metzelers. But I said to myself why?  I am very happy with my Metzeler's.   

Good luck in deciding.  There are several other tire inquiries in this section.
From the Great Nation called Texas. Oops I mean the Great State called Texas

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 03:52:45 AM »
I agree with Ruben, it's really a personal thing. And also where you ride, and how often it rains.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 07:44:06 AM »
Thank you all for the replies. I understand this will have to be a personal choice I just want to hear others' opinions first. Tyre prices around here aren't so far away from each other. All the tyres I mentioned above are between 45 and 55 pounds. No big difference. The Heidenaus aren't the most expensive either.

I took some photos of the front tyre and attached them to the first post so you can check them out. Should I be worried about the profile and/or wear it shows?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:55:06 AM by nushipwright »
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 10:45:33 AM »
   while I was waiting for my tires to arrive, ( mail order )   I wore the tires down to the thread,  so I did not ride in the rain, for the last few days,.  they went from tread 1/16 " to thread in 100 km.s 

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 10:48:25 AM »
   while I was waiting for my tires to arrive, ( mail order )   I wore the tires down to the thread,  so I did not ride in the rain, for the last few days,.  they went from tread 1/16 " to thread in 100 km.s

What tyres were you using and what new ones have you ordered?
. mostly 2up city

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 11:45:53 PM »
   I have used pirelli diablo, very good all around tire ,.  3rd. set of tires was pilot power pures,again very good all around tire       ( 4 th. set of tires is power pures )    ,  I think I will try city grips next , but I HAVE NOT SEEN TIRES FOR THE FRONT END 120/80  14 all they have is 120/70  14,s,. for the rear they have 150/ 70  13 which is OK,.  heideneaus I hear they are very good but wear out fast be cause of the soft rubber and they are about $100. each  compared to city grips $ 53. 00  which is closes to the tread pattern of heideneau,s  they are all good tires so take your pick!

this is the list of tires I have used and the last one is on the scooter now,.

kfc.android

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 12:26:49 AM »
Based on my knowledge, I will go for Metzeler Feelfree if riding in rainy days is one of my concern.
Lots of my friends in Taiwan are using Metzeler Feelfree for rear tire because it provides excellent wet surface grip.
(I haven't tried that yet, but that's what they believe.)

For me, since I don't ride in rainy days (and it hardly rains in SoCal)
I use Diablo for rear and love the grip and confidence it provides!!

I ride very aggressively on twisty roads and the diablo just never let me down.
Hope this helps :)

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 10:05:44 AM »
thank you all for your replies. the metzeller is a good tyre I'm sure.
on the other hand I've read good things about the Dunlop scootsmart. a Croatian forum test says it's good in rain as well.... interesting that no one said anything about it here yet...

EDIT:
found a video about the Dunlop roadsmart predecessor of scootsmart. take a look.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:21:16 PM by nushipwright »
. mostly 2up city

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()