Author Topic: DTX360 Review  (Read 539 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
DTX360 Review
« on: April 19, 2023, 12:59:53 PM »
Posted here as the engine & transmission DNA of the DTX360 comes so clearly down from the Downtown 300 (and latterly the 350).

Right out of the traps we will all concede that no bike / scooter is perfect?  For my purposes I think the DTX will come pretty close, but let’s get my personal cons out of the  way before I tackle the much longer list of pros.

Mirrors: not great. They look good and give a clear view … of my elbows!  I really have to twist my body to see what is going on behind me!  I've bought a set of the mirror extenders (£30 from Oxford), but have yet to fit them.

Ambient temperature reading: there isn’t one.  Boo. I liked that on my X-Town.

At around 500 miles I noticed a "surging" developed in the power deliver at 2,000 RPM or just above walking pace which makes manoeuvring at walking pace a real pain.  Could well be FI mapping?  Whatever, when it's in for its first 600 mile service I'll let the experts check it out.  While they're at it, they can also check on dashboard lamps (Engine, TCS & ABS) staying where they shouldn't.

And that’s it so far. I’ve come back to edit this to add and if more rear their heads I'll do it again, but for now they’re the only niggles.

What is good / improved over my previous ride then?

Firstly power, it’s noticeably better on the DTX and was, even at running in speeds, with more oomph and I like it.  Visibility of the dash information is very old codger-friendly!  No excuses if I collect a ticket, the digital speedo digits are mahoosive!  Clock is also readable without the need for glasses- for me at least. In fact, all the dash is easily legible although in bright sunlight (rare here!) the smaller icons are barely visible.

Keyless ignition.  Bit of a Marmite* topic this, but I'm enjoying not having to search for my key when all togged up for a ride!

Handling is as good as my XT and bear in mind that benefited from YSS shocks. Semi knobbly tyres# grip well in the dry, to the point where the centre stand digs into the tarmac to remind me to back off!  Experience in the wet has also been positive, with no moments yet. Wider handlebars may not be to everyone’s taste, but I like them. Low speed manoeuvres are a doddle, dodgy FI notwithstanding.

Storage with my 37L Shad top box is ample and I reckon the under seat space is, if anything, greater than the capacious X-Town!  A real plus in any scooter, top marks Kymco.

Took my longest ride to date of about 80 miles in one hit yesterday and I have to say that, for me at least, the seat is no more comfortable than the X-Town's.  At about 50 miles I started squirming and by 80 I was glad to take a break.  On the upside, getting back on didn't put me right back there in the painful butt zone and I was able to complete my journey (15 miles) in relative comfort.

* A yeast extract spread for toast etc., called Vegemite in Oz  "You either love it or hate it"  -  I love it!
# Could be a problem come replacement time? As of now completely unavailable here in the UK so may have to “Supermotard” it and fit City Grip 2s!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 08:24:59 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

NorWeWa

• View Profile
Re: DTX360 Review
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 03:39:47 PM »
 Nice looking scoot, I like the hand guards, especially in rain.  I didn't care for the looks of the stock mirrors and went with some aftermarket bar end replacements. They do add to the width, but the behind view is excellent. 

Ride safe,
Art 

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 06:52:33 AM »
Update: DTX360 in for 1st service and here’s the diagnosis of the dash lights & surging problems received this morning:

“Good morning, Ref your bike , the electrical system has been over charging , we have been in discussions with kymco technical, new control units have been dispatched as quickly as possible, new dashboard has also been ordered but is a non stock item but this will not affect you using the vehicle , I will update you on parts delivery as soon as we know , Workshop , Richardsons of Congleton”

They’ve confirmed once the control units are fitted I can use the scooter while we await delivery (from Taiwan?) of the Dash board. I’ll keep you posted.

Further Update:  Following text received at 10 am today (4 days after scoot collected)  "Bike completed incl dash board we can deliver today or tomorrow whichever is convenient , Richardsons of Congleton . Only cost is first service lubricates and filters £80"

I've asked for it to be delivered today!  Happy days!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 10:04:19 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2023, 08:20:07 AM »
I didn't care for the looks of the stock mirrors and went with some aftermarket bar end replacements. They do add to the width, but the behind view is excellent. 

Ride safe,
Art

Thanks Art and yes, those bar end mirrors do look good. Maybe worth considering if the extenders I bought don’t resolve the issue for me 👍
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 01:58:28 PM »
Just back from a quick 20 mile shakedown ride and delighted to say the DTX360 is now performing faultlessly again!  Thanks to all at the Robinsons Workshop for  getting it back to normal.  I'd missed riding it so it really is appreciated.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 07:26:24 PM »
I REALLY like it when the brake fluid reservoirs are out in the open like that! (like on my Forza)
Too often they're buried in plastic on scooters.

Mirrors!! Every scooter i've had had mirror issues!
Yes - getting better visibility with those kind of mirrors looks difficult.
I solved my mirror issue on the Burgman when i found these perfect extensions from a motorcycle shop in the U.K. (eBay)
The 1.5" piece threaded perfectly into the stem of the Burgman's mirror stem, and I could see!!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Passport Steve

• CAN is not the same as SHOULD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 10:04:04 AM »
Hi, first post here. 

I have a DT X360 320cc in orange.  It's my second Kymco, the first being a Kawasaki J300 SE  ;)

I'm on 2500miles on mine and loving it.  Powerful, comfortable, good storage.  Downsides for me are that the UK spec lacks Noodoe and so the dashboard, while clear, is really lacking in info and modern tech: shame.  Also, after a 2017 Xmax 300 and then a 2020 Forza 300 I am disappointed with the fuel consumption.  I am only getting around 80mpg whereas the Forza was high-80s and the frankly incredible engine in the Xmax 95mpg+.  On the other hand, the X360 is doing better than the J300 did (76mpg) but then that was nearly 10 years ago. 

Still, overall I rate the X360 better than the Forza as that was dull and lower-powered and the Xmax with very poor rear suspension and dangerous headlights.  I do miss my J300 though as that was both gorgeous IMHO and such a fun machine to ride.
Current ride DT X360-320cc
Past rides Honda Forza 300, Yamaha Xmax 300, Kawasaki J300SE, Peugeot Satelis 250 (x3!), Peugeot Elystar 150 (x2), Piaggio Typhoon 125.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 10:32:21 AM »
Hi Steve and welcome to the Forum.  Loads of knowledgeable folk on here should you need help / advice on anything.  The bulk of the membership is North America based, but there a few of us in the UK and a number in the EU too.   Whereabouts in Blighty are you based?

2,500 miles?  Since you owned it?  How long have you had it?  Info and photos always welcome!  Also you may have read my DTX360 First Impressions post on here, what are your thoughts?

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Passport Steve

• CAN is not the same as SHOULD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 11:33:48 AM »
Hi Steve and welcome to the Forum.  Loads of knowledgeable folk on here should you need help / advice on anything.  The bulk of the membership is North America based, but there a few of us in the UK and a number in the EU too.   Whereabouts in Blighty are you based?

2,500 miles?  Since you owned it?  How long have you had it?  Info and photos always welcome!  Also you may have read my DTX360 First Impressions post on here, what are your thoughts?

Thanks for the welcome.  I'm in Essex, UK and have had the X360 since September.  In years past my mileage has been as much as 12k a year but with working from home a fair bit and my office relocating to a bit closer to home (now only 25 miles instead of 35), it's really dropped off a cliff.  I'll post pics and update my profile when I can.

First thoughts on the forum - I have browsed a fair bit in the past and it does seem a bit US oriented but that's fair given the volumes of Kymcos we get here in the UK - when saying what I have, I usually get a "what?".  Shame, as the brand is a good one and my experience of the Kymasaki J300 over 3 years was really good except for Kwak UK and their dealers, who had no interest.
Current ride DT X360-320cc
Past rides Honda Forza 300, Yamaha Xmax 300, Kawasaki J300SE, Peugeot Satelis 250 (x3!), Peugeot Elystar 150 (x2), Piaggio Typhoon 125.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2023, 01:43:39 PM »
Yes, your experience mirrors my own Steve, Kymco is a brand very much under the radar here in the UK.  I've now found a great local Kymco dealer who has made trading in my X-Town for the DTX a very easy experience - if only all dealers were as good.

As for mileage, when working I once clocked over 30,000 miles one year on the bike I then had (a Triumph Sprint 900), but since retiring I've been luck to breach the 3,000 mark - what a come down!  Still love it though and it's a treat to be doing it solely for fun these days.

Agree with you on the J300, a fine looking machine which I very nearly bought when I got the X-Town, but I just couldn't justify the asking price which was about £1,500 more than the Kymco!  No regrets now though, if I get the yearning again, I'll just paint the DTX Black & Green  ;)
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()