Author Topic: Help me get back to stock variator / clutch  (Read 1289 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Help me get back to stock variator / clutch
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2023, 11:49:42 AM »
That third paragraph will be at the forefront of my mind as I reassemble mine Karl, thank you.
You are welcome!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

KymcoRockr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2023, 06:12:49 AM »
Hey Guys !

Today I made a long test drive and two issues came up :

1. I have LGE5 clutch - post 2011 model. Clutch engagment RPM is around 2000 which is a little low number by my feeling, I thnik engine is not so happy. I think 3000 RPM would be much better. Clutch disengages at around 2300-2400 when coming down for a stop. At what RPM's clutch enagges in your Kymcos DT 300 ?

2. The power delivery is not smooth at slow accelaration - when coming throu 4500-5500 rpm at throttle open around 50 % I can feel  that acceleration is not constant and something is grabbing a letting bike go in matter of 1-2 seconds. When making start with throttle wide open there is no hesitation with acceleration. Engine runs smooth and there is no misfire , no check engine light.

I think problem is somewhere with  CVT - any suggestions will be much appreciated !
So for reasons that make no sense, you complain about how it performs and your answer is to keep the worn out stock parts and stick the cheapest Chinese sliders in that you could find. And you're surprised that the performance still sucks?
Been riding for a very long time.
AK550
Yager 200

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2023, 10:09:26 PM »
Hey Guys !

Today I made a long test drive and two issues came up :

1. I have LGE5 clutch - post 2011 model. Clutch engagment RPM is around 2000 which is a little low number by my feeling, I thnik engine is not so happy. I think 3000 RPM would be much better. Clutch disengages at around 2300-2400 when coming down for a stop. At what RPM's clutch enagges in your Kymcos DT 300 ?

2. The power delivery is not smooth at slow accelaration - when coming throu 4500-5500 rpm at throttle open around 50 % I can feel  that acceleration is not constant and something is grabbing a letting bike go in matter of 1-2 seconds. When making start with throttle wide open there is no hesitation with acceleration. Engine runs smooth and there is no misfire , no check engine light.

I think problem is somewhere with  CVT - any suggestions will be much appreciated !
Like said before, did you compare your old rollers dimensions with the new one?

IMHO were this straight cuts on your rollers caused by those sharp edges in your CVT.
MEANS for me, either rollers to small in diameter or your CVT opens to wide. Reason not known to me.

Another culprit to this mentioned hesitation/ rubbing MIGHT be a too long/ worn out belt.

Maybe you do the "old" clutch cleaning trick, rear brake pulled and WOT, until it starts smelling.
Pls give a feedback to learn.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Ericson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2023, 12:50:08 PM »
Hi !

I'd like to give you an update what's happening with my 2011 DT300i with 30 000 km on odometer.

A lot of previously mentioned problems were caused by aliexpress 20x12 15g sliders. These were - clutch engaging @ 2000 rpm and some engine vibrations around 90 km/h. After getting rid of ali sliders for 20x12 15.3 g rollers clutch started to engage at 3000 rpm and engine/cvt vibrations were gone. I finally settled for 14.5g 20x12 rollers by drilling out some of weight and using scale to match weight.

When chacking contact area of chineese sliders it was even and the same across all sliders so it's not that some slider flipped inside variator. I can't tell what was wrong with these chinese sliders as I'm using them in my 50cc and 125cc scooters with no problems.

During the process of searching for reason of clutch engaging @ 2000 rpm I bought new clutch shoes replacement set from company called Top Performances, it works well in my DT 300i.

You can see on previous pictures that I had cuts in rollers - that's because previous owner matched LGE5 plate ramp with LEA7 face comp movable drive. With me matching LGE5 ramp with LGE5 drive I have no more cuts on rolles after 1500 km.

I'm still having issue with engine hessitation on part throttle round 20-40 mph. I thought that was CVT issue but after reading the kymco forum I think that's the engine issue. I tried to rotate MAF sensor but I can't rotate it 180 degress like others did, I can rotate it only 45 degress counter clockwise, otherwise it doesn't fit. I will clean the fuel injector in near future.

I tried to connect OBD2 scan tool using 3pin -> OBD2 cable from aliexpress. OBD2 dongle is getting power from scooter but it can't talk to ECU. I tried three different units with prince ranging from 10 to 60 USD but all failed to connect to ECU.

Here are the rollers after loosing some fat with help of drilling bit.

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2023, 02:08:18 PM »
Finding the gram weight of OEM rollers for the Downtown 300i is not easy to find. The research I have done comes to them being 15.5 grams.  By taking weight out you should see more rpm at all speeds. 

Art 

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2023, 08:27:52 PM »
By taking weight out you should see more rpm at all speeds. 
On the other hand, you will see a lower top speed.  That is, lighter rollers give you faster acceleration, but lower top end.  Rollers are cheap, so you can experiment with different weights without breaking the bank account! Just keep reminding yourself that you can't have this much fun with a standard M/C gearbox!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()