Author Topic: MaxiScooter Highway Riding?  (Read 10409 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: MaxiScooter Highway Riding?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 03:24:45 PM »
I ride my Xciting 500 pretty conservatively on i95 CT-NY stretch. It is a highside waiting to happen especially in the Westchester and Bronx section prior to the Cross Bronx. The Cross Bronx would be the worst but traffic is usually so backed up that you are not really going fast enough to get into problems because of the physically bad road condition.

That's my old neck of the woods. Born in Yonkers, and raised on Long Island.
Funny how something as bad as the Cross Bronx Expressway can make you home sick. I even miss the smells.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

josephthediviner

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 02:34:36 AM »
The SUV's really freak when you kick, slam their doors after they inadvertently try to run you down.  You only have to do this once and they start to pay close attention, kind of how you get a mule's attention.  The first time I did this a lady in a van looked me in the eye as she tried to change lanes on top of me but after I arm slammed her van door she hit the brakes and swerved into the other lane I am certain that she thought she had run over me. 

Getting home in one piece may be the ultimate goal but why not have some fun on the way there.  Sometimes you teach and sometimes you learn.  Either way you have the right to your lane and sometimes you have to defend the right.  just be prepared for any reaction on the cage drivers part.   

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 03:12:35 AM »
The SUV's really freak when you kick, slam their doors after they inadvertently try to run you down.  You only have to do this once and they start to pay close attention, kind of how you get a mule's attention.  The first time I did this a lady in a van looked me in the eye as she tried to change lanes on top of me but after I arm slammed her van door she hit the brakes and swerved into the other lane I am certain that she thought she had run over me. 

Getting home in one piece may be the ultimate goal but why not have some fun on the way there.  Sometimes you teach and sometimes you learn.  Either way you have the right to your lane and sometimes you have to defend the right.  just be prepared for any reaction on the cage drivers part.

That sophomoric behavior could get you shot fast around here.
You used the term "inadvertently". If you ride on two wheels it's your job to expect "inadvertent".

To promote such activity is irresponsible if not thug like.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 05:42:27 AM »
 "If you ride on two wheels it's your job to expect "inadvertent"."

LOL

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 07:20:40 AM »
I know this is a VERY OLD post. But I thought I'd comment anyway. The local stretch of I 10 in Tallahassee, FL is three lanes across. When I ride, I stay to the right except to pass.  But I can't imagine driving on those interstates with four or more lanes and heavy traffic. But at any rate I don't weave through traffic. That's just too dangerous on two wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 05:01:10 PM »
I mostly ride in the carpool lane because it's legal here in Cali but on occasion I will split lanes carefully or behind another bike rider if traffic is backed up, a bit safer between the carpool and regular lanes since there's more room to do so. Also since it's legal I split lanes to get up to the traffic lights. I try to be conservative on my speed doing so.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 11:48:23 PM »
Geez, what a post.
Agree with AMAC - thug-like behavior, which will not improve relations between riders and drivers.
Be alert....well, we all know what can happen.
Ride safe.....focus!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 02:48:51 AM »
On a highway or freeway, I stay in the right/cruising lane, and shift to the left if I need to pass. I generally look for a bubble between, or away from wolf-packs of cars/trucks and SUVs. My only exception is when I commute to work on a 3 lane route as the left lane is actually the safest. The middle and far right lanes have too many drivers shifting, entering and exiting for it to be safe. The left lane is constant and as I can go the speed limit (45 posted) or the flow of traffic (55 and plus) I can keep up, and exceed others if need be.

I'd say avoid doing any physical harm to another driver's car. We're on scooters. In a contest between us and anything on 4 wheels, even a golf cart, we're not going to win. Road rage is very real. Memorize plate numbers and vehicle type, pull over and call the cops if need be. Helmet cams are great too. This could happen otherwise,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2675456/Thats-karma-Angry-motorcyclist-kicks-car-act-road-rage-spinning-control-crashing.html

Sometimes speed is just a fuel for stupidity. I just got back from a trip to Portland, OR. Wished I had my DT with me the whole time. Beautiful area, and great for riders. The 2 wheel riders that I saw were almost always riding squid-like through traffic. One guy was weaving through lanes on a turn running left-wards. He started out in the left lane, gunned it and cut across two lanes, through congested traffic, to the right lanes during the apex of the turn, passing cars with little chance to see what was in the other lane ahead of him. I thought of this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=U2yHjyavL0Y

Nothing happened to the MC rider, but that was that day. Tomorrow, or the next he might not be so lucky.

- Wolf

Burgi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2016, 10:17:49 PM »
I never ride in the right lane on the freeway unless I am just entering or getting off. Cars constantly cutting through that lane make it way to risky. I usually stay in the far left, "carpool" lane or the lane next to that. Speed wise I will match the car in front of me or ride just slightly faster that surrounding traffic. I prefer to be in front.
I also split and filter when traffic is stopped or stop and go.
What might seem "crazy" in some areas of the country is the norm here in California and actually keeps us safer.
'14 GT 300i,  BMW RT, Bonneville, SYM HD200

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 11:25:45 PM »
I commute daily on I5.  Overall I keep it pretty calm.  You don't really gain much time
There have been times when I've been a bit more aggressive, but not in heavy traffic, & I back it down if things get the least bit hairy.
Rule number 1 of riding is "Survive the ride".  Everything else is secondary.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 11:16:34 PM »
I can sort of understand the urge to drive between the cars (slowly) when the traffic is completely stopped.

But lane splitting just seems inherently dangerous to me. Cars change lanes all the time without signaling, and it's not usual for them to move to the edge of their lane. Also, the markings on the road offer much less traction. And suddenly the amount of road available to you becomes very narrow. If you assume you're invisible, how could driving between the cars be safe?

Moreover, lane changes and merging on the highway are scary and stressful enough under normal circumstances. I have no desire to do it more, and I imagine it being much worse when you're lane splitting.

A comment on interstate driving in general, which applies to non-interstate roads too, is that roads in bad condition scare me much more than other drivers.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 11:19:49 PM by hypophthalmus »

Burgi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2016, 12:15:14 AM »
I can sort of understand the urge to drive between the cars (slowly) when the traffic is completely stopped.

But lane splitting just seems inherently dangerous to me. Cars change lanes all the time without signaling, and it's not usual for them to move to the edge of their lane. Also, the markings on the road offer much less traction. And suddenly the amount of road available to you becomes very narrow. If you assume you're invisible, how could driving between the cars be safe?

Moreover, lane changes and merging on the highway are scary and stressful enough under normal circumstances. I have no desire to do it more, and I imagine it being much worse when you're lane splitting.

When I moved to California it seemed crazy and dangerous to me also. When I started riding and studying it closer it started making much more sense.
I spent far to many years commuting, on the freeway, into downtown LA. Traffic is often stop and go and cars failing to stop in time and hitting the car in front of them happen far to often. That is one of the reasons we feel that being between lanes of traffic can be safer. At least we don't end up in a sandwich.
On the freeway riders will typically split between the fast lane and 2nd lane over. The fast lane is often a carpool lane with limited access. Drivers are only supposed to move into the car pool lane at certain points. Of course they could drive over "double yellow" line at any time but we hope they won't.
We should not be on the painted stripes. Technically we should to be in the lane. I have been in Q&A sessions with CHP officers and they have made it clear that they will ticket you for riding on the double yellow line.
Also, keep in mind, that California's urban drivers are pretty accustomed to the practice. I certainly wouldn't say all of them like it, but they maybe more aware of motorcycles. It isn't uncommon for drivers to notice me and attempt to move over a bit to make room for me to pass.
'14 GT 300i,  BMW RT, Bonneville, SYM HD200

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2016, 04:45:21 AM »
Here in Cape Town, South Africa, Lane splitting is the norm, and legal.
The only way to travel during peak traffic, and the main reason why I got two wheels.
The taxis(10 seater mini-buses) are notoriously bad drivers, ignoring traffic signals, and driving on the yellow line.
However that independent spirit also translates into them having a soft spot for bikers, because they always make space for bikers to squeeze through during the peak traffic hours just mentioned.
Some drivers do just swap lanes without signaling.
The trick is to only be slightly faster than the cars, so there is plenty of time to react.
That, and watching front wheels, and trajectory, and adjacent spaces....  Then you can be assured of arriving safety.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2016, 03:55:07 AM »
A man must know his limitations. But seriously :) I've always wondered, and maybe someone out there help me understand, Way do we drive on PARKWAYS and then PARK in driveways?????

Mac, aka "ole two wheels"
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2016, 01:48:50 PM »
Driveways are too short to get us where we’re going.

- Wolf
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:41:24 PM by ScooterWolf »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()