Author Topic: nostalgia - going back in time  (Read 610 times)

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
nostalgia - going back in time
« on: February 26, 2020, 10:40:32 PM »
Do you remember the very first motorscooters and motorcycles you first laid eyes on.

For me the first scooters I saw was a Zundab, Allstate, and a Cushman Eagle or two. Not many owned bikes in those days, mid, late 50s, maybe early 60s.

The first motorcycle I ever saw was an old army green Indian. Could have been a Harley but, i`m thinking Indian. Probably Army surplus. Seems like it might have had a shifter that stuck up beside the gas tank.
The first modern motorcycle I ever saw was a Bridgestone. It was owned by a friend of mine. His dad would buy him nice motorcycles. Later he had a Honda 150 Dream. That was a fine bike. I use to jump on the back of it and we would ride to a bootlegger to buy whiskey. I think we were about 16 at the time.
This is my earliest memories of scoots and cycles.
A little later on, I and a friend of mine and me shared custody of an old Ducati junker. We had no title for it. The headlight burned dim. We would get quarts of beer and ride the back roads with it.
Those were the good old days.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:46:12 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: nostalgia - going back in time
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 11:01:32 PM »
First scooter I ever saw was a 1947 Cushman. All angle iron and flat wrap metal body work and a Wisconsin cast iron flat-head engine. Motorcycles in the family since I can recall, Harleys, BSA, Honda and Yamaha. First modern scooter I saw when a classmate at KU got a Vespa 250. He later got a Ducati 250 desmo.

I am NOT nostalgic for my two first motorcycles a Honda Hawk 250 and a Yamaha 305 YM-1. The Honda was just too gutless and the Yamaha was a two-stroke. The BSA 650 I restored is a fond memory.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 11:31:17 PM »
A 3 wheel (2 up front) scooter with a large box between the wheels. I believe it was a Cushman. My uncle used it to deliver groceries in the mid 1940s.
Like 150i ABS

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 12:52:34 AM »
I seen a lot of bikes when I was young but the first one owned close to me was a  Honda mini-trail owned by a neighborhood  kid who had brain cancer Brook A. Another person up the street Gary T. Owned a Rupp mini-bike.  My neighbor's parents bought their son a new Suzuki Gaucho 50cc motorcycle.  My parents bought a POS Italian  1965 Harley Legaro 65cc . The first new bike I bought was a 1972 Yamaha DT2 250 Enduro. The neighbor traded his 50cc Gaucho for a Suzuki 185 Enduro. 

Both he and I lived on those bikes riding year around. Probably the most I have ever rode a single bike. I sold it and bought a  1977 monoshock Yamaha 250 Enduro. Took a break for about 10 years before I got back into bikes and have not been without a few since.

The irony is now those old DT2 sell for more then 3 times what I paid for mine brand new.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 08:01:51 AM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 02:50:56 AM »
My father had a red Cushman. He tossed it on his plane everytime he went TDY in the Air Force so he'd have transportation at the airfields. I recall standing on the foot area with him, riding slowly through flooded streets in Puerto Rico.
My mom tells a hilarious story of the time his scooter set fire to his rear cargo of laundered & packaged uniforms, unbeknownst to my pop. Dad was a navigator in a bomber wing, and retired as a squadron commander after his 30. ( at 50yrs of age!)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 08:11:53 AM »
 A person I ride with Mark  has several of the Cushman scooter  and utility vehicle's.  He invited me to go riding with some members of the Cushman club.  I will probably take my Lambretta 150 UNO or 150 Kymco.  The Cushman was built in Lincoln Nebraska.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 09:32:14 AM »
The first bike I ever saw was my brother's old 50's 650 Triumph which I later owned briefly!  It lit a fire which still burns bright in me.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Fogie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 06:28:42 PM »
When I was a kid, a few of my buddies bought Welbike scooters that were carried by some British paratroopers during WWII. You could buy them here in Canada in army surplus stores at that time. I never owned one, but rode my friends' on many occasions. Here's some pix:

https://bit.ly/3ae50K6

And a bit more info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welbike
2012 Kymco Frost (Yager) 200i - Toronto, Canada

boo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 06:38:22 PM »
When I was a kid, a few of my buddies bought Welbike scooters that were carried by some British paratroopers during WWII. You could buy them here in Canada in army surplus stores at that time. I never owned one, but rode my friends' on many occasions. Here's some pix:

Fogie, I have never seen these bikes before. They and their history is interesting. Thanks for posting.

300GTI black

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 09:01:42 PM »
Didn't Cushmans have Cushman engines?  My first ride 1943.   Neighbor has both Indian Scout and HD 45, after war, 1928 Henderson.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 09:18:17 PM »
Didn't Cushmans have Cushman engines?  My first ride 1943.   Neighbor has both Indian Scout and HD 45, after war, 1928 Henderson.
The first motors were built by Cushman called the (Husky ) they sold to others to be used on a variety of things. A very interesting read on Wikipedia.  Suprised to learn as a company they still exist now owned by Textron  in Augusta Georgia.

boo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 12:57:38 AM »

I know some had Husky Cast Iron engines and some had Briggs & Stratton engines, 5-9 hp.

About 2 years ago, I was riding through the mountains and stopped at a little country store that caters to motorcyclist. Out front were about 10-12 customized Cushman Eagles. They looked like they were straight off the show room floor. They were bright and shiny and had long megaphone type mufflers on them.
I went inside to get a cake and a pop. When I cam out, the riders were firing them up and leaving. I did not get a chance to look at them up close or talk with the owners. I assume it was a Cushman Club. Don`t know where they were from or where they went to.
Only saw them one time. When they went down the road, it seemed like they were going pretty fast. I also assume they had modded engines on them.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 01:09:26 AM by boo »
300GTI black

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 01:57:51 AM »
Just seen a add in the Kansas City craigslist for a new Cushman II scooter built in the USA with 14hp motors. Looks like they had several models. Looks as though  they copied the old  designs . Looked pretty cool but did not give price.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 12:58:21 AM »

Never knew about that one! Aerodrome transport would have made more sense than battlefield but who am I to argue with a LtCol, a "spook" at that!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()