Author Topic: BB's in my Michelin??  (Read 526 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
BB's in my Michelin??
« on: November 20, 2019, 10:51:26 PM »
Today I was on the floor checking brake wear on the rear tire of my 2012 LIKE prior to riding it tomorrow....and I discovered that I can hear B-B's rolling about in the tire when I turn it!

It's a quiet sound, but can definitely hear something which sounds like balancing B-B's coming to the tire's bottom when I turn the wheel.
Makes me wonder if it was a practice to add these at the Vepsa dealership where I had the new tire installed 2 yrs ago?
(Can't ask them - they folded their tent shortly afterwards)

Whatever it is - they're helping to balance the tire, are causing no problems - so will be in there for the life of that Michelin!
Strange, though.....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

stuo

• View Profile
Re: BB's in my Michelin??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 01:40:59 AM »
I'm skeptical about BB balancing; I recently replaced a worn rear Michelin on my second-hand GV250. BB's fell out of the tire yet my replacement tire, a Shinko, made a huge improvement in the smoothness of the ride despite not even being balanced.

I wonder if the Ride-on goop is a scam, too. It claims to not only seal leaks but also balance your tire...yet Slime, another goop, doesn't make that claim.

Comments? Am I just being too cynical? Are those miracle products that seem to defy basic physics any good?
2009 GV 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 12:44:57 PM »
BB's work good, last a long time! Been using them to balance since I'm too cheap and lazy to buy DynaBeads. Been doing this for ten years for balance. No downside yet.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 01:44:10 PM »
A lot of favorable reviews for Ride-On, few unfavorable.

I added it to my scooter after reading John Grinsel's endorsement (he'll probably be chiming in here shortly). Seemed to improve the ride.  Smoother, felt more anchored to the road.
May have been a result of the added 6 oz of rolling weight in the tires, or just my imagination.

But it's not that expensive and could save you in the event of a puncture.  I'll continue using it.
Believe you can even scoop it out of an old tire and re-use it in a replacement.
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Fogie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 02:27:13 PM »
I've never used BB's or DynaBeads, but have a few questions:

1) Do BB's come in different sizes (calibers), and if so, are there any sizes that won't fit through a valve stem?

2) How do you know how many (or the proper weight) to use in a particular tire?

3) Does anything happens if you get the number (weight) wrong (over or under)?

4) What are the reported problems (aside from the obvious: using BB's along with balancing goo)?

5) Is there any harm in using them preventatively (if you don't yet have a balance problem)?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 02:29:12 PM by Fogie »
2012 Kymco Frost (Yager) 200i - Toronto, Canada

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 03:57:43 PM »
As to "Ride On"=works! may seal minor leaks in tire tread area.  AND as most scooter/bike shops do not/cannot balance small scooter tires---I find it good balance medium.  Now should first static kinda balance the tire/wheel, buy moving tire around on rim---I have static balance stand, but find it really not necessary with Ride on, just mount tire at lightest point marked on tire--at or near valve, install Ride On and ride.  Works for me----And I use a fair amount of tires.  Cost $15 a wheel.

Note seldom does tire last me 6 months----so when I dismount them, Ride On still live and working.  Have no idea of performance after several years in seldom ridden scooter tire.

Good wheel/tire balance adds to life of tire as well as providing more comforting ride.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 06:47:40 PM »
All the BB's or goops do is distribute equal weight to the tire thereby minimizing the effect of any unequal weight in the tire/wheel. The more BB's you add the less the effect of the unbalancing weight. At low speed the BB's (or goop) fall to the bottom but at low speed it's not an issue.

I first see how a new tire feels at speed, so far three out of three rears didn't need balancing. If they did I'd add Ride-on or Slime, which give puncture protection as well. Front tires are obviously going to be more sensitive than rears for the need for balancing. I'm fairly new to scooters; full size motorcycles with 17" or 18" wheels definitely need balancing but 12" or 13" wheels, probably not.

Comments from those with more knowledge?

2009 GV 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 02:46:39 AM »
Several issues. Certain kinds of medium can cause problems if they abraid away the paint on the rim/tire or if they break down or clump with moisture. Things that have been used, dynamic beads, bb's, air soft pellets, RV fresh water system antifreeze, etc. Starting out or stopping they do not balance but at speed. They will not balance for out of round tires and can make it worse. I have tried such things and I am content to stick with balancing conventionally with weight on the rim.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 06:37:19 AM »
2016 Piaggio b v 350  front tire 110/70  16, first tire had dyno beads it it,  not enough and had a slight imbalance at speed over 70 MPH.   2nd. tire I put BBs  in it, smooth riding ,  3 rd. tire same result smooth riding and inside of tire clean and like new inside,

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()