Author Topic: Out with the old, in with the older  (Read 1376 times)

Abner_Bjorn

• 5280 Scooter Group Rides on FB
    • View Profile
Out with the old, in with the older
« on: July 28, 2014, 08:29:57 PM »
Delete
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:14:45 PM by wallboard »
Less chit chat, more riding.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Out with the old, in with the older
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »
Well, shoot.
Sorry to see you go, and even more sorry that I haven't sorted the issue with my LIKE yet.
I think there are a LOT of LIKE200i owners out there, watching.
I think a competent scooter mechanic could sort my scooter issue in an hour. But, unless you're a very lucky American - too many of us do not have access to a scooter mechanic.

Some of that is my fault for buying a scooter in the USA. Especially in the sticks of Ohio. Nice folks around here (when they aren't trying to run me over) but this ain't Naples or Madrid or Saigon. They know corn-dogs, not scooters!
A n d, just-gotta-scoot folks warned us about the ergonomics. Fine scoot, fits Americans poorly.

This LIKE200i is very well made (I've looked at a lot of its guts), and it is darned easy to work on. 10-15 mins you have the spark plug in your hand and the feeler gauge into the valves. It runs with good pep, the brakes are like power brakes....they'll slide you off the seat! It has been absolutely reliable for 15 mos & 7000 miles in every kind of weather.
I think my stop at an al-qaeda run BP station for a small splash of gas might have contaminated my fuel tank...and hence, the injector. The tarmac looked like the surface of the moon, and there was a snotty kid in a balaclava manning the til. Maybe not...but I have an injector on order, again.(after cancelling it before going to the dealer) Might pull the injector again, once I know my back-ordered on eis coming, and try the clean method using a battery to fire Techron thru the injector into a pan. Check the spray pattern according to my old Audi manuals.

I have heard good things about the Genuine Buddy...used prices are pretty low around here. But, losing some 4" off the wheelbase compared to the LIKE.

The important thing is that you are happy and confident in the scoot beneath you!
Well done you...!
Ride it safely and keep in touch with your fellow scooter lovers here. (what, they were out of red Buddies?!)

Stig
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:39:07 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 11:08:44 AM »
Hey look everyone, an actual scooter seat that's comfortable! What a novel idea! I have sat on several buddy's and there seats are pretty darn nice. Wish Kymco would follow suit.

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 05:33:50 PM »
Buddy 125's are just about the best small scooter you can get. They're rock solid, fast and are SUPER easy to service. You can get most panels off with just a few screws, no snappy/crappy tupperware (which was my only complaint about my Like). My GF has Buddy and it's an absolute blast to ride.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 05:17:21 AM »
Just to offer my experience with a buddy 50 for 4400 miles. It was ok for a while. But it got an oil leak from the pump as a factory defect and it developed three different rattles. Also it wasnt built quite right and if you put your feet firmly down on the floor boards it would squeek as the plastic flexed. I think it is over rated and very small. Its hard to not look like a gorilla on a childs bike on those things. Also twice as loud as my Like, or Big Rukus clone

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()