Author Topic: P150 Favorite Motor Oil  (Read 11719 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: P150 Favorite Motor Oil
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2010, 02:19:04 AM »
..that rolled-up paper smacked on th face works well...

..kinda hard to explain to the guys at work about the swollen nose tho..

:-\
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 02:27:58 AM »
Next time I change oil I'm gonna open up that second drain bolt.

Never opened that before!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2010, 04:10:52 AM »
Next time I change oil I'm gonna open up that second drain bolt

...yup....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Monoplex

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2010, 11:15:01 PM »
2nd drain bolt?

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2010, 11:29:43 PM »
Yep,

A few of us were shocked to find out that the Agility 50 (maybe 125 as well??) have a second oil drain bolt on the underside of the oil pan. 

The thread was under the technical section on seafoam (page 5 I believe).

Never opened it up, but will do it next time.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2010, 12:33:25 PM »
There are no two drain bolts.

The first bolt is the drain bolt, close to the side of the engine.
The second bolt is wire mesh oil filter bolt, not used to drain the oil.

---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

birdmove

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2010, 04:13:17 AM »

I just bought a People 150, but won't get to ride it until Feb. My take on air cooled scooters is, after doing a very early oil change during the break in, and then again at the suggested first service interval (usually 300-500 miles on most motorcycles and scooters), I then settle down to oil changes every 1000 miles. A scooter, though, shouldn't be as hard on oil as most motorcycles, as they use the same oil as lube in the clutch and transmissions (except Harley-Davidsons, Royal Enfields, and other older motorcycles). But many scooters, especially like the little Ruckus's and Metros (like we have owned)spend most of their time running with the throttle pegged to the stop.These little scooters usually hold less than a quart.So I changed at 1000 miles as cheap insurance.

My new 150 may not be running full out all the time, but still will be turning pretty high revs.And the average temperature will be in the eighties all year round. But I'll see how dirty the oil looks at this interval.

jon

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2010, 10:18:42 AM »
A scooter, though, shouldn't be as hard on oil as most motorcycles, as they use the same oil as lube in the clutch and transmissions (except Harley-Davidsons, Royal Enfields, and other older motorcycles).

Very wrong. Small 4T scoots have 0.8-0.9 dl of oil in the engine while bikes have 3-4 l.
Oil in small air cooled scoots is under a lot of strain.

It does not take a chemist to realize that. I have 125 cc air cooled and 250 cc water cooled scoot.
In the air cooled scoot, oil is completely black due to deposits after few hundred kms.
In the air cooled, it is still yellow when I replace it.

The fact that big bikes have "shared" oil with transmission is not that a problem. Transmission does not contribute significantly to change in the chemical composition of the oil (does not generate as much heat, shear or anything else compared to engine assembly).
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

birdmove

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2010, 04:14:50 PM »
   I'm with you totally on oil changes especially on the smaller 50cc scooters that run around with the throttles wide open all the time. But I have read that, on motorcycles that use the same engine oil in the trans, that oil break down due to the trans gears squeezing and "shearing" the oil is a factor.And that it may tend to lower the oil viscosity over time.The other thing is that most motorcycles (especially the Japanese bikes) also use the engine oil to lube and cool the clutch disks.The oil can get some contamination from disk materials.Scooters with CVT transmissions run all the componts dry.

Like I said, I'll figure on oil changes at 1000 miles when my break in is over. Harley-Davidson suggests engine oil changes at 5000 mile intervals.But they use a second oil for the primary drive and clutch, and yet a third for the trans.5000 seems too long to me and I do my Sportster at 2500 mile intervals.

k0co_5

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2012, 07:36:33 AM »
Valvoline synthetic - cheap $6 and available at local auto supply.  Can't tell on my P150, but my Harley with oil sump temp gauge runs about 10degF cooler on synthetic.  So figure lower temp has gotta be good.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()