Author Topic: Oil still vanishing after rings and valve stem seals job  (Read 3249 times)

xsel777

• View Profile
Re: Oil still vanishing after rings and valve stem seals job
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 06:10:26 PM »
I have no choice, as petrol is a total ripoff here. And I cant  afford another highway capable bike, so just continue to repair this instead. And I REALLY like this scoot!

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 06:46:47 PM »
The radiator is getting a good clean out, I am hoping tomorrow I will hear good news.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 09:34:30 AM »
Yep, the news was good. I am picking it up within the hour.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 12:39:16 AM »
How's everything now?

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 08:37:22 PM »
All good thanks.
Well mostly. I am watching the temp gauge like a hawk, but it behaves very erratically.

I think there might be a cable issue.
I have fiddled with it a bit, resoldered a connector, tightened two others, but still it takes forever to reach operating temp, and when hurtling down the freeway, it goes back to zero(me thinks there is no thermostat).

Back to zero happened  twice, after I had seen it was in the middle. But still, there is a possibility of a loose connection. So, two choices, I did the wire work, but did not test continuety, or no thermostat.
I will ask the workshop.
That thermostat is an odd size, so they might have skipped it as they are not a Kymco agent.

Saturday, I will take the fairing off so I can check the radiator filler for oil evidence.

I can  no longer trust this scoot, and after every repair I drive slower and slower, in the hope it won't break down again.
Naw, not really.... 😀
Just for a few days, then I race around again, as the rush is too good to give up.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 08:39:49 PM by xsel777 »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 09:44:02 PM »
All good thanks.
Well mostly. I am watching the temp gauge like a hawk, but it behaves very erratically.

I think there might be a cable issue.
I have fiddled with it a bit, resoldered a connector, tightened two others, but still it takes forever to reach operating temp, and when hurtling down the freeway, it goes back to zero(me thinks there is no thermostat).

Back to zero happened  twice, after I had seen it was in the middle. But still, there is a possibility of a loose connection. So, two choices, I did the wire work, but did not test continuety, or no thermostat.
I will ask the workshop.
That thermostat is an odd size, so they might have skipped it as they are not a Kymco agent.

Saturday, I will take the fairing off so I can check the radiator filler for oil evidence.

I can  no longer trust this scoot, and after every repair I drive slower and slower, in the hope it won't break down again.
Naw, not really.... 😀
Just for a few days, then I race around again, as the rush is too good to give up.

Maybe your dealer has a couple nice used scooters for sale. Substitute monthly payments for those constant repair bills?....and ride something reliable?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 03:09:46 PM »
Thanks Stig for the suggestion. I will park that as a future  idea to explore, as I don't want a monthly instalment at this time, because I need my finances to improve and stabalize at a higher level first.
I actually prefer to buy cash.
When my ship comes in I will try to find a Tmax 500(the newer one). The Honda silverwing is also under consideration.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 05:46:36 AM »
The new workshop actually skipped fitting a replacement thermostat. Un-flipping-believable!
I have a spare so at some stage soon, I will fit it. Right now it is raining,in Cape Town (yippee, day zero is moving further back), so maybe Sunday afternoon after church.

I also must fit my ebay rear caliper, as things are rattling badly in that area. Just the hassle of priming the brakes, as I am man alone.
If I outsource that, then I will just let them do the thermostat as well.
Decisions, decisions...

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2018, 01:52:41 AM »
I think the most difficult decisions we face are deciding to let go and walk away from a losing proposition. Maybe it's time to lick your wounds and buy another scooter? You can always tinker with the bad luck one, or sell it, or...?
2009 GV 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2018, 06:23:31 AM »
I also must fit my ebay rear caliper, as things are rattling badly in that area. Just the hassle of priming the brakes, as I am man alone.

Tie a rope to the lever and you might be able to bleed it yourself.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()