Author Topic: Registration Question for California Spade Owners and CA Like 150i Owners...  (Read 1229 times)

yodaismycopilot

• View Profile
If you own a Spade or a Like 150i, could you possibly tell me if your registration reads "MS" or "MC" under where it says "Vehicle Body Type?" Thank you so much. These bikes are 149.4cc and 149.8cc respectively. Which makes them technically illegal for freeway use in California (less than 150cc). But I have heard that the DMV "rounds up" and that these might each be designated with the freeway legal (?) "MC" designation on the title and registration. And I'm further assuming that an officer would defer to the registration for the determination, but I could be wrong. Perhaps there are other criteria.

Also, if anyone has been pulled over under suspicion of riding a bike less than 150cc on a CA freeway, I'd be interested to hear your story!

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 07:08:47 AM by yodaismycopilot »

souzamoto

• View Profile
MC, That's the way I've Reg'ed them
I've never known anyone that was pulled over for CC size. It might come up if you were stopped for another reason. If so, tell them its a 150!
Also, freeway speeds are a bit fast for the Spade. She will be screaming at 70. Good luck but I wouldn't recommend.
CJS

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Love my spade.
a short three exit ride on the super slab was a reminder that it doesn’t belong there,

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

yodaismycopilot

• View Profile
MC, That's the way I've Reg'ed them
I've never known anyone that was pulled over for CC size. It might come up if you were stopped for another reason. If so, tell them its a 150!
Also, freeway speeds are a bit fast for the Spade. She will be screaming at 70. Good luck but I wouldn't recommend.
CJS

Thank you for your reply. When you say "That's the way I've reg'ed them" are you a dealer? Or do you mean as a consumer? I emailed a local Kymco dealer and he said the Spade was "MC" and the Like 150i was "MS." I don't understand why they would be different from each other since they are both between 149 and 150 cc.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Thank you for your reply. When you say "That's the way I've reg'ed them" are you a dealer? Or do you mean as a consumer? I emailed a local Kymco dealer and he said the Spade was "MC" and the Like 150i was "MS." I don't understand why they would be different from each other since they are both between 149 and 150 cc.
One is sold as a scooter - the other a motorcycle.
Probably also labeled as such by ins. co. as well.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()