Author Topic: Help! How can I bypass the LCM in the American version? Can't find LCM replacem.  (Read 5058 times)

supremekizzle

• View Profile
How can we bypass the LCM on American 2009 Kymco Super 8. I can't find a replacement light control module and need to fix this. Please help. This is urgent. Thank you.

supremekizzle

• View Profile
I think I'll just get two 15w or 20w led h4's and direct wire them. There won't be brights or they'll be less than the 35w individual ones, but at least they'll be headlights.

tjupille

• View Profile
You can bypass the LCM with two jumper wires. See the picture in this post:
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12463.msg125571#msg125571

The LCM on my wife's scooter died; no lights at all. Did this mod and now lights are on all the time. Probably a good idea to keep the battery on a trickle charger, though. I suspect the LCM is there to compensate for the fact that the alternator doesn't provide enough juice to both run the lights and recharge the battery when it's idling.

Amaro321

• View Profile
HELP!! My bike is a 2013 s8 so the wiring is different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amaro321

• View Profile

Amaro321

• View Profile
Welp figured it out all on my own [emoji57]

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
What did you do?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Amaro321

• View Profile
What did you do?

Karl
Sorry for not replying, I simply disconnected the LCM which was strapped to the left of the voltage regulator above the Headlight assembly. You can get to it by simply removing the front plastic shaped in an upside-down triagle. Then I shorted the blue with blue connection and the white with white connection.

Amaro321

• View Profile
However this ran me into some problems. It began to drain my already bad battery and the voltage regulator couldn't keep up so I undid the whole thing. Plus I got the small bulbs to light with my Headlight, however, i have to figure out the voltage regulation problem before i focus on any of the cosmetics. I wish these were DC powered bikes. Instead of AC.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 12:07:20 AM by Amaro321 »

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
I cheated and handled this the easy way.  I took it to the dealer and they bypassed the LCM for my.  They charged me around 30 bucks.  That was around 2-3000 miles ago and I haven't had any problems.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
I had a chance to talk to the regional Kymco rep for my area.  He explained what the issue with the S-8 was.  The electric system was designed around the Asian models which have LED lights which use less power.  Since the US version had to put in regular bulbs due to DOT requirements the Charging system was not sufficient to run the lights and charge the battery at idle to that control module was put in as a fix.  Since that module has not been reliable Kymco put out a recall on the S-8 with the fix being an upgraded stator.  Dealers should have gotten the word on this but I suspect many didn't.  If your S-8 is having problems with the headlights ask your dealer about it.  You might be able to get it fixed for free.  This only applied to certain year S-8s and I'm not sure which. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Amaro321

• View Profile
Nice! I'll have to check

Amaro321

• View Profile
I couldn't find anything on it. Do you have a reference?

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
This was all based on a conversation with the regional Kymco rep.  Ask your dealer to check with Kymco about the recall.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()