Author Topic: Noisy front brakes (Solved, Thanks)  (Read 4111 times)

chieninhouston

• View Profile
Noisy front brakes (Solved, Thanks)
« on: July 16, 2009, 04:55:08 AM »
Just got my new ride 2006 People 250. A tiny problem that bother me a bit. The front wheel is making noises. The brakes are functioning well. Seems to me that the brake pads might be hitting the rotor. Not causing any overheat or the like. But when I am on the quiet road during the night. The sound is there. Any solutions? Thanks in advance.
BTW, the brake fluid is pretty dark, I am planning to change the fluid over the weekend. Hope maybe reduce the noise a bit.  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 12:13:11 AM by chieninhouston »
James Chien
2006 People 250
2008 Honda Silver Wing  "MYPONY"

axy

• View Profile
Re: Noisy front brakes
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 10:14:49 AM »
Fluid change will not improve this noise, over the decades of motoring/scootering I have noticed it has to do with dirt buildup around pads and type of pads you use. Also, sometimes it gets better or worse depending on the wear. If I were you and provided that everything is OK with the brakes, I would use the compressor to blow out the dust and dirt and get over it.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

chieninhouston

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 10:26:51 AM »
Fluid change will not improve this noise, over the decades of motoring/scootering I have noticed it has to do with dirt buildup around pads and type of pads you use. Also, sometimes it gets better or worse depending on the wear. If I were you and provided that everything is OK with the brakes, I would use the compressor to blow out the dust and dirt and get over it.

Thank you Axy,

You maybe right to the point. With only 636 Km on the meter, the OEM pads should still be good. Will give the compressor a little work to do. Hope that will take care of the problem.
James Chien
2006 People 250

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 11:39:46 PM »
If the brake pads are glazed (from some hard stops and/or heat) this probably continue. Down load a manual (old post some where on this Kymco forum site). remove the pads-note location of parts,bolts,etc. Sand the surfaces that contact the brake rotor (2 brake pads per rotor -on either side of rotor. use 80 or 100 grit paper on a flat surface. THEN when reinstalling but a small amount of silicon sealer (gell) on the BACK side of the brake pad that contacts the caliper piston/cup.Squeeze brake lever to make contact complete.let sit overnight. NOTE!!! DO NOT get any on the brake surface that contacts the rotor. This procedure usually will squelch the worst brake pad noises. Hope this helps.

chieninhouston

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 12:12:26 AM »
If the brake pads are glazed (from some hard stops and/or heat) this probably continue. Down load a manual (old post some where on this Kymco forum site). remove the pads-note location of parts,bolts,etc. Sand the surfaces that contact the brake rotor (2 brake pads per rotor -on either side of rotor. use 80 or 100 grit paper on a flat surface. THEN when reinstalling but a small amount of silicon sealer (gell) on the BACK side of the brake pad that contacts the caliper piston/cup.Squeeze brake lever to make contact complete.let sit overnight. NOTE!!! DO NOT get any on the brake surface that contacts the rotor. This procedure usually will squelch the worst brake pad noises. Hope this helps.
I took the advice AXY gave me. Seems to reduce the most noise to the minimum. Had to do it a couple of times though. Then, over the weekend, put on my ear plugs, and enjoyed riding here and there. Love this scooter. The brakes functioning Ok. The noisy not bother me anymore. But if for any reason, they start to come back. Then the sanding surface will be the next. Thank you for your help.
Love this forum, lots of help here. Thank you all.
James Chien
2006 People 250

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 09:56:09 AM »
I took the advice AXY gave me. Seems to reduce the most noise to the minimum. Had to do it a couple of times though. Then, over the weekend, put on my ear plugs, and enjoyed riding here and there. Love this scooter. The brakes functioning Ok. The noisy not bother me anymore. But if for any reason, they start to come back. Then the sanding surface will be the next. Thank you for your help.
Love this forum, lots of help here. Thank you all.

Hey chieninhouston. Brake pads on Kymcos last very long time, maybe even too long for my taste.
I have Agility 125 with 10.500 kms on it and the pads look as if they are brand new.
Ditto for my People 250 S.

Some people think this is a good thing. I would personally prefer to have softer pads with better feel during braking.

A friend of mine has Kymco Cobra 50, 22.000 km with OEM disk pads. I think they must be glazed as hell by now.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

geezerbob

• View Profile
Re: Noisy front brakes (Solved, Thanks)
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 06:16:16 PM »
34,000 km on the pads on my P250 and they still look (and stop) good.
People 250
Cortech Sport Saddle and Tail Bags
Kuryakyn Grips
Givi E33 top box
Air Hawk seat cushion
34,000 km and counting

axy

• View Profile
Re: Noisy front brakes (Solved, Thanks)
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 06:39:49 PM »
34,000 km on the pads on my P250 and they still look (and stop) good.

Mental note: must buy quality pads instead of OEMs ASAP.  ;D :D
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()