Author Topic: 2016 Downtown 300i coolant change  (Read 501 times)

NorWeWa

• View Profile
2016 Downtown 300i coolant change
« on: December 11, 2022, 01:56:56 AM »
The coolant change should have been super easy.  Drain off the water pump, easy access to the radiator cap, and the design that has a bleed hose from the thermostat to the water pump side.  To get the coolant drained took some tipping side to side.  Did not measure the drain but seemed like more than a liter, and it did not look all that bad coming from 6 years of use.  On refilling the system, fill in small amounts, like 100 cc at a time, and check the filler neck.  I measured out 750 cc for the capacity of the radiator and poured into my funnel. Next thing I saw was coolant pooling under the scooter. What a mess.  I finally got it filled by steps of filling to the radiator neck, putting the cap on and running the machine till the temperature showed that the thermostat had opened.  Also found that running without the cap will overflow the radiator, and if motor has not cooled down enough the coolant will flood out the filler.  "Cyclepedia" instructions seemed so easy.   Job done, it's winter and not riding for a couple days with this maintenance no big deal.  Glad I filled with long life coolant. 

Art 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Downtown 300i coolant change
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 11:20:37 AM »
Good post! This one thing has caused great misery for lots of folks. Your summation is among the best.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 11:28:15 PM »
Update here on my coolant change on my 2016 Downtown 300i.
With a short ride yesterday, the temperature gauge maxed out after a couple miles of riding.  Kind of had the feeling the coolant refill was not enough.  The Cyclepedia manual did not call for air bleeding at the thermostat.  I went back and opened the air bleed bolt on the thermostat and bleed air till coolant appeared. Took another 2-3 hundred cc's of coolant.
Test ride today and everything good.

Art 

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 01:22:12 AM »
Glad you got it figured out. Coolant changes are not quite as simple as many make them out to be..
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()