Author Topic: KPIPE 2017 MODS/UPGRADES/TIPS?  (Read 6616 times)

2wheelwarrior

• View Profile
KPIPE 2017 MODS/UPGRADES/TIPS?
« on: May 14, 2017, 06:08:32 AM »
Hey everybody I just recently joined this forum as I just got a new 2017 kpipe after being in the market for a cheap, reliable bike. I've put about 150 miles onto my stock pipe but am thinking about possible upgrades later down the line? I read the other post but wanted to get a better understanding as to what to do next as a beginner. looking forward to getting your thoughts.

Thanks!

Redk

• View Profile
Re: KPIPE 2017 MODS/UPGRADES/TIPS?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 03:23:49 PM »
Golly !

Ride it as much as you can, in fair WX !

When you arrive at a destination, take a few minutes or so to sit on the curb and look at your bike.
A visual inspection and mental notes for a quick cleaning upon return to the barn will be good.
Perform maintenance not covered under the warranty yourself, to become more familiar with it.
Wear appropriate protective clothing at all times and adjust your riding to maintain the safest possible position in whatever traffic situation develops in your travels.
Take pics on your travels and post them here on the forum !  We Like pics!  :-)
redk

2wheelwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 07:45:29 PM »
Thanks a bunch will be sure to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwgti303

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 04:51:12 PM »
Unfortunately, there is just not a lot out there for these bikes. I would recommend an exhaust, Delkevic makes a decent one, if for no other reason than to remove the stock pipe. You'll be amazed at how heavy that thing is. There's other things you can do to tailor it more to your tastes, like adjusting the sprockets (amount of teeth) or replacing the carb to give you more adjustability. None of these will give you more power, per-se, but may make it more comfortable for you to ride. Lots of good info out there, unfortunately you kind of have to dig for it.
2016 Yamaha XSR900
2016 Kymco K-Pipe

Buckybuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 03:59:07 PM »
What's the shifter look like on your 2017? Just curious; you probably know from reading posts here that the 2016 models had a linkage kit added to basically reverse the shift pattern the bike came with. I'm just curious if it's still that way on the 2017 model.

There are some clever, bold folks here who have done things with their K-Pipes, like changing the gearing. I'm trying to resist until I get a few more miles on mine. I'd like a higher top end, but I don't like how it already struggles on hills even with the stock gearing. I do like the 93-95 mpg I'm seeing so far. The one thing I've done was remove the Kymco lettering off the tank. The all-caps lettering just looked too generic and clunky to me, and I prefer a naked look on any bike. I also removed the K-Pipe logo that's under the seat. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't removed the K-Pipe decals; I especially wish I hadn't used acetone to clean up glue spots, as I found out the black there is a thin layer of black paint over a white plastic, and comes off easily. Luckily, it's a generic flat black.

I am looking for suggestions for a windshield. The only one I've seen pictured on a K-Pipe is the Puig Rafale, which isn't for me.

2wheelwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 05:43:35 AM »
What's the shifter look like on your 2017? Just curious; you probably know from reading posts here that the 2016 models had a linkage kit added to basically reverse the shift pattern the bike came with. I'm just curious if it's still that way on the 2017 model.

There are some clever, bold folks here who have done things with their K-Pipes, like changing the gearing. I'm trying to resist until I get a few more miles on mine. I'd like a higher top end, but I don't like how it already struggles on hills even with the stock gearing. I do like the 93-95 mpg I'm seeing so far. The one thing I've done was remove the Kymco lettering off the tank. The all-caps lettering just looked too generic and clunky to me, and I prefer a naked look on any bike. I also removed the K-Pipe logo that's under the seat. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't removed the K-Pipe decals; I especially wish I hadn't used acetone to clean up glue spots, as I found out the black there is a thin layer of black paint over a white plastic, and comes off easily. Luckily, it's a generic flat black.

I am looking for suggestions for a windshield. The only one I've seen pictured on a K-Pipe is the Puig Rafale, which isn't for me.
The shift pattern is all the way down for Neutral and up is up, but there isn't a heel part of the shifter if that's what you're curious about. When I first did some reading about the bike prior to getting it I noticed the recall.

I haven't done much to the bike but remove the kpipe stickers from one side but am planning on changing the muffler soon and some lights and now that you speak of it the gearing could be soon after. I have almost 500 miles and am going for the oil change soon hopefully iA. Which grade of gas do you use? 

Buckybuck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 09:07:09 PM »
I run 87 octane most of the time, mainly because I forget to do otherwise. I tried 91 ooctane once and didn't notice any difference in performance or mileage; I average 93-95 mpg.

I don't have it in front of me, but I think the user manual says to use 91 octane. But do a Google search and you'll see that octane rating methods vary between countries, so I dunno whose 91 octane system Kymco uses. I pretty much decided that these sorts of 125cc engines are common in a lot of countries where people have more existential concerns than fuel quality, precise valve clearances, etc., so the engines must be fairly buttetproof. I am going to change to oil a lot more often than the manual says to, since there's no real filter and geez, it's only a quart anyway.

thederrick106

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 07:20:57 PM »
New Kpipe owner here...  Couple questions...

Where is the oil screen located?

What are the valve clearance specs?

I just did my first 300 mile oil change and didn't feel like tearing stuff apart to find the oil screen without knowing ahead of time.  I want to check the valves but couldn't find the measurement specs.  I will probably have to call my dealer for those.

Buckybuck

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 12:35:14 AM »
.05mm/.002" for the valve clearance.

The oil screen is in the crankcase. You have to remove the right side cover (where the brake pedal and kickstand are) to get to it. I haven't cracked it open myself; I know there's at least one person here who has, so maybe he'll chime in. Maybe it's easy, but I decided so far that it's not worth the effort and risk of losing something tiny that might be difficult to replace. My perhaps not-so-great compromise is to change the oil every 500 miles and keep my fingers crossed that if something hard gets caught by that screen, it's gonna stay there. I look up thru the drain plug hole whenever I change the oil and the screen looks clean. I might try poking a USB borescope down the oil fill hole next time I change oil.

By the way, I haven't seen any K-Pipe activity on this forum for many months. Where is everybody?

thederrick106

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 12:56:21 AM »

The oil screen is in the crankcase. You have to remove the right side cover (where the brake pedal and kickstand are) to get to it. I haven't cracked it open myself; I know there's at least one person here who has, so maybe he'll chime in. Maybe it's easy, but I decided so far that it's not worth the effort and risk of losing something tiny that might be difficult to replace. My perhaps not-so-great compromise is to change the oil every 500 miles and keep my fingers crossed that if something hard gets caught by that screen, it's gonna stay there. I look up thru the drain plug hole whenever I change the oil and the screen looks clean. I might try poking a USB borescope down the oil fill hole next time I change oil.

By the way, I haven't seen any K-Pipe activity on this forum for many months. Where is everybody?

Thank you for the reply, I will pop it apart on my next oil change and give her a once over.  On bikes that don't have oil filters I like to change them ever 1000...  Not like a quart of oil costs that much, even less for the 15w40 rotella I am using which meets wet clutch/ motorcycle specs.

I think I will call the dealer and get the valve clearance specs.

Do they even make a service manual for this thing?

Lapwing

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 11:51:11 PM »
I purchased a white Kpipe 125 in May 2017 as a newbie cyclist.  Just passed the 1000 mile mark on it last night.  For a beginning bike I have been pretty happy.  Right now have wishes for about 10 more miles per hour though and a bit more fuel capacity to do back roads and frontage roads with more ease.

Am wondering how many of these have sold in the US and how many English Speaking Users might be available to discuss their experiences with the cycle.  I did start a facebook group called Kymco Kpipe Users Group.  Not much discussion yet but will extend a welcome here.

I am also wondering about the following:

1.  Those that are getting more then 90 miles to the gallon -- can you tell us what kind of terrain (mostly flat or hills, paved versus dirt roads, etc ) and whether you are through the 1000 mile break in period yet.  I if you are willing am also interested in knowing how much total weight the cycle is carrying for these mileage figures (i.e. rider/passenger plus any extra gear or baggage).   Also, have you stayed with stock tires or using something else, including knobby tires?

2.  What is the top speed you are reliably getting in the absence of significant wind on mostly level ground?  Have your made any changes to the cycle to reach this such as in exhaust, sprockets, spark plugs?

3.  Has anyone tried the aftermarket linkage to lower the seat height and flatten out the forward tipping angle?

4.  Has any one added saddle bags and have suggestions on ones that work with the muffler which is positioned pretty right on the right side of the bike?

5.  Does anyone know of an aftermarket product for adding more fuel capacity than the 1.2 gallon tank that is standard?

6.  Several of the initial reviews (possibly 2016) indicated it was hard to start, and stalled out a lot -- making it cold blooded.  Mine is a 2017 and has had no problems at all with this.  I can start it without the choke (altitude 4000-5000 feet) down to 50-55 degrees F.  After that using the choke very briefly it starts immediately as low as them temps have reached this fall (30's).  I have yet to have a chance to test below that.  What is your experience?

7.  Has anyone put a higher cc engine in their KPipe?

8.  I purchase it with a change in tires from the beginning to IRC knobby tires --3 inch in the front and 3.5 in the rear.  Wandering what other tires you have tried on it and about your satisfaction level with them. 

___

For starters, will introduce some of my experience at 5 months and 1000+ miles:

Besides some modifications mentioned above, I have also installed a windshield, handwarmer grips and wind-deflectors for the handle bars.  My favorite mod however was a change 13 T sprocket for the front.  I had previously read on this forum and discussed it with my dealer.  So little information was available -- so I looked at discussions regarding other similar 125 to 175 cc bikes.  Sadly I cannot read much that is not in English and google and FB translators don't work well enough for technical language -- so the FaceBook Kymco K-Pipe Club which gets a lot of traffic was not a viable option for me to explore sprocket modifications.

My initial thought was to put 1 extra tooth up front and set up the order and for my dealer to do the install.  To my amazement, on pickup, they had installed 13T rather than 15T (stock size was 14T).  Initially I expected to be disappointed, and thought that I would lose top speed for my riding area -- which has a LOT of hills.  I had been frustrated that sometimes it was hard to even reach 45 mph, until I reached a downhill stretch.  I typically could not get it to go over 50 mph.   

However, the shift to a 13T was awesome. AWESOME!!! The dealer had tested it directly and felt the motor for our conditions would not pull a 15T adequately here.  So he opted to go for better acceleration.  This has transformed my KPipe into a whole different bike.  It is less busy rev-ving now and I can shift up at a higher speed.  Previously had to shift from 1 to 2 at about 9-10 mph as other otherwise it did nothing but rev.  Now I can accelerate to 13 or more before having to shift.  Previously had to shift to 3rd at 23-25 mph, now it can typically go to 30 mph or higher if on an an incline.  Previously had to shift to 4th around 33 to 35 mph or it lost acceleration and just revved.  Now that point is at 41-43 mph.  The change has made dealing with traffic in our town so much easier.  I am able to easily pace with cars near me or even be a little ahead of them most of the time (unless they are speeding) while doing in-town driving.  My top easy crusing speed went from low 40's  up to now reaching very 50 easily, and quite often 55 or a little more.  I have reached 63 mph and suspect that I could get a little more with favorable conditions.  This new performance jump is with the knobby tires, windshield, saddle bags carrying some gear -- so total added weight probably about 180 lbs with rider. 

The ability to reach higher speeds before shifting has just made riding a great deal more pleasurable.  I am not sure yet what this will do to my gas mileage.  I reached 94 mpg once just before I had the sprocket changed (Inow use 91% octane and no ethanol from Costco -- another branded station in town consistently got 10 mpg less on 91% octane and does not promise whether it contains ethanol or not).  Then the weather turned and I needed to start using the choke most of the time now.  I also was reaching near 1000 miles break in and wanted to see how much the cycle would do performance wise -- so admit that I have been pushing it more than usual or necessary for a couple of fills.   However, am recently am getting about 84-88 mpg.  I anticipate returning to mostly my typical in-town driving patterns during the week and back roads when weather permits on the weekends.  Will be curious about whether I will be able to get above 90 mpg again.  Might have to wait for warmer weather to really answer that.   

Again, extending a welcome to any Kpipe English speaking Owners out there who would like to participate in discussion in a Facebook group.  If interested, look for Kymco Kpipe Users Group.  It is not a forum so for those wanting to search for quick answers, organized by topics this forum is probably better suited.

zephyrprime

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 02:04:18 AM »

The oil screen is in the crankcase. You have to remove the right side cover (where the brake pedal and kickstand are) to get to it. I haven't cracked it open myself; I know there's at least one person here who has, so maybe he'll chime in. Maybe it's easy, but I decided so far that it's not worth the effort and risk of losing something tiny that might be difficult to replace.
The kickstand is on the left side.  Is it different in other countries? 

So the entire transmission case has to be taken apart to reach the screen?  That's a bad design.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()