Author Topic: Some OTD Piaggio prices surprise me  (Read 461 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Some OTD Piaggio prices surprise me
« on: August 16, 2022, 12:03:09 AM »
In 2017 the MSRP for my Liberty 150i S was $3099.00
The 2022 price is now $3199.00, so a modest increase over 5 years!
But read today that a new owner paid just shy of $5000.00 OTD in Hawaii ~!! A thousand more than my OTD price shipped to Ohio.
Shipping from Piaggio's assembly plant in Vietnam to Hawaii should not have accounted for such a markup?
It's a great scooter....but that percentage of the MSRP seems too steep a markup.

Stig

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 12:07:27 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
Re: Some OTD Piaggio prices surprise me
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 12:45:25 AM »
Lack of competition? Do goods like this go from the originating country to the mainland and then to Hawaii - thus increasing the shipping costs?

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 01:28:07 PM »
that was my first thought, as well. Probably shipped to a port in California and then re-shipped to Hawaii?

This also doesn't tell us what this particular dealer charges for freight, set up, rustproof & undercoat (sorry, wrong industry, haha), etc.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 02:17:03 PM »
In 2017 the MSRP for my Liberty 150i S was $3099.00
The 2022 price is now $3199.00, so a modest increase over 5 years!
But read today that a new owner paid just shy of $5000.00 OTD in Hawaii ~!! A thousand more than my OTD price shipped to Ohio.
Shipping from Piaggio's assembly plant in Vietnam to Hawaii should not have accounted for such a markup?
It's a great scooter....but that percentage of the MSRP seems too steep a markup.

Stig
Only store in town....everything in Hawaii more expensive. If it weren't for service clubs on bases there, no sailor would ever get drunk! Har, har!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 02:38:17 PM »
Hawaii is part of the US distribution area I believe. The bike likely came to the US warehouse, the dealers orders were processed and shipped to Hawaii. If If Piaggio-Vespa-Aprilla-Moto Guzzi USA were smart, they would sell the dealer a container full of product to save shipping costs. Distributors have a "Landed Cost", then there is distributor mark-up to dealer cost then freight to the dealer. Freight to Hawaii is ridiculous.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 08:05:22 PM »
Hawaii is part of the US distribution area I believe. The bike likely came to the US warehouse, the dealers orders were processed and shipped to Hawaii. If If Piaggio-Vespa-Aprilla-Moto Guzzi USA were smart, they would sell the dealer a container full of product to save shipping costs. Distributors have a "Landed Cost", then there is distributor mark-up to dealer cost then freight to the dealer. Freight to Hawaii is ridiculous.

my local dealer ordered a bunch of scooters from Kymco, they told him not available, unless he took a whole container, 80 scooters, that was 7 weeks ago, he's only got a dozen left as of the day I bought mine 10 days ago, and other than mine, they are all fugly green
RandyO
IBA#9560

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 11:29:53 AM »
This is happening to all brands all over the country.  Low supply and high demand means many dealers are taking advantage of the situation with high fees.  I have heard of dealers asking $4000 OTD for the Honda Navi which has an MSRP of $1807.  Try buying a Grom, Trail125 or ADV150.  OTD prices 1-2K over MSRP are common.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

KymcoRockr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2022, 03:08:46 AM »
my local dealer ordered a bunch of scooters from Kymco, they told him not available, unless he took a whole container, 80 scooters, that was 7 weeks ago, he's only got a dozen left as of the day I bought mine 10 days ago, and other than mine, they are all fugly green
That's a very strange thing for a dealer to lie about. I've worked with Kymco at the dealer/distributor level, and that's not how it works. Next time you go in, ask him to show you how they fold the scooters in half to get that many into a container.
Been riding for a very long time.
AK550
Yager 200

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 01:05:04 PM »
Next time you go in, ask him to show you how they fold the scooters in half to get that many into a container.

😂🤣
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()