Author Topic: Tune Up  (Read 846 times)

tclhb

• View Profile
Tune Up
« on: October 25, 2013, 09:44:16 PM »
So about a month ago at 3600 miles ish, I did my own service again. So far all valve checks and adjustments were done by me. All easy! What I notice now is better acceleration, and a couple mph higher top speed.
Valves: like my first check, the upper one was a little bit loose. Instead of barely being able to start the 0.005" gauge, I was actually able to slide it on this time. Not easily, but it was 0.005". I tightened it to 0.004". Anyone know ft the top one is intake or exhaust? Just curious.
Spark plug: this was my first time looking at it. The gap was too tight. I don't remember the spec, but the right gauge would not even go in. The plug had a grey powdery appearance. Basically it looked good other than the gap and the used look. I replaced it with the one I got from parts monster. The new plug was gapped perfect right out of the box. I used the stock recommended plug as I'm a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy.
Air filter: it had a light grey powdery appearance on the salmon covered filter paper. I replaced it with the filter I got from PM.
And of course I replaced the engine oil. I'm using syntec 10W-40 now.
I don't know whether it's one of those things that got me a performance gain, or a combination of all these things. The gain is real though. I've had a few hundred miles to confirm it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:38:47 PM by tclhb »
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Tune Up
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 11:25:29 PM »
Hello "tclhb"....(that's tough to say ---- Greek? Oregon?....what?

Here's a picture that makes me think that the bottom valve is the exhaust valve - I noticed these markings the last time I was in there....

And, you know of course that KYMCO has a sticker on our LIKE's that says that the valves are to be set a good bit tighter than most of us are doing? Service sites say otherwise.....which clears things up nicely.

I went to 75W90 Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil and 5W40 synthetic Castrol (old name Syntec) for the winter riding (28 degrees this AM) Owner's Manual says 5W50 for coldest running---- but that oil bottle said "great for classic cars" or some such, so I went with the 5W40 (which was the only such oil in the parts store) In any event it will be changed pretty often (500>750 miles?) during my cold weather riding.

Haven't looked at the filter or the belt yet (3400 miles), and the plug is the Iridium which so many hate to love! so to speak.... If I get snowed in this winter, maybe I'll look in there....
Next on the list is a "get off my butt" brake light modulator and a Battery Tender Jr. Maybe that big LED brake bulb.

Had to add air to the Michelins due to the cold weather. (I thought it was starting to ride too nice!)

Lets keep us all posted here on life with our LIKE's !!
Thanks for your post~!
Ride safe!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tclhb

• View Profile
Re: Tune Up
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 03:01:19 AM »
Looks like you're right Stig. So it was my intake I tightened up by 0.001". My next tank of gas I'll find out what my mialage is. I like to check it with a four fill up minimum just so it's accurate. I was getting 65mpg before thsntune up, which is disappointing. I think I might be getting better mpg now. If for no other reason I've slowed down a little. I decided its safer running around town at 45mph rather than 50+.
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()