Author Topic: Had a bad accident  (Read 49796 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Re: Had a bad accident
« Reply #240 on: September 22, 2016, 06:00:28 AM »
Well, since I have no scooter questions, I'll just continue to share my recovery journey.
First, the "bad" news. I'm still waiting on my "permanent " prosthesis. I admit that It's somewhat frustrating since I'm able to walk without the Walker but am concerned about messing up the temporary leg.

Next, the good news. The delay is due to the equipment, manufacturer, and shipping time. It's NOT due to a problem with MY BODY. I can live with that.. (It's Not unlike getting some KYMCO parts. Lol)

Next, I am able to walk beyond the capability of the temporary leg because I actually had to slow down to make sure I didn't stress it with the higher impact of walking fast.

On Wednesday, I went into town and had a little time to kill. So I went to our newest and busiest city park and decided to walk there because it has a sidewalk and it has several short cuts if I got into trouble and was unable to complete the walk.
I chose NOT to use my Walker (don't tell my prosthetist. [emoji850]). But I wasn't foolhardy. I did take ONE crutch as insurance. I was able to walk the ENTIRE ONE MILE around the park without stopping! I only used the crutch on hills due to the fact that I didn't want to overstress the prosthesis. I was fine. Total time? A little less than 1/2 HOUR! --- no soreness. No extra tiredness!

And to top it off, I then went to Wednesday night prayer service! I had the leg on from 11:00 AM to 10:00 PM!

THANKS FOR "LISTENING " to me go on and on. But I'm so thankful for the progress God has enabled me to make in the less than 3 months since July 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 22, 2016, 07:45:48 AM »
Finally spoke to the total loss division, of the insurance company. Fair market value in my area for my 2012 Downtown 300 is $3725.00. Minus $375, that they would deduct,and let me keep it. $3350, is what I would get, plus they have a company that would buy it from me for the $375. Now I don't know if I want to buy a new Dt 300  and fix up the old one,( frame is good,it's mostly cosmetic) or sell it for parts. Also I like the new 2016 Xciting 500 and the Honda CTX700. Decisions, decisions!! Any thoughts or opinions,would be appreciated. I trust you folks.

Rich

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 22, 2016, 09:56:21 AM »
Man that is great news you can get out on the temporary prosthesis Forbes. I am looking forward to you getting the "real" prosthesis. I know it is frustrating waiting to get that new part. Did they give you a tracking number?  ;D
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 22, 2016, 10:28:54 AM »
Finally spoke to the total loss division, of the insurance company. Fair market value in my area for my 2012 Downtown 300 is $3725.00. Minus $375, that they would deduct,and let me keep it. $3350, is what I would get, plus they have a company that would buy it from me for the $375. Now I don't know if I want to buy a new Dt 300  and fix up the old one,( frame is good,it's mostly cosmetic) oru sell it for parts. Also I like the new 2016 Xciting 500 and the Honda CTX700. Decisions, decisions!! Any thoughts or opinions,would be appreciated. I trust you folks.

Rich

With riding season coming to a close soon..should be several good new or lightly used two wheels showing on the market.
Lightly used private sale gets you past dealer fees...and Kymco 2 yr warranties are fully transferable.
Are you only looking at automatics? That $$ could buy several nearly new 300 range motorcycles. Shifting two wheelers are much cheaper than scooters.
Good luck.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 22, 2016, 12:03:26 PM »
Finally spoke to the total loss division, of the insurance company. Fair market value in my area for my 2012 Downtown 300 is $3725.00. Minus $375, that they would deduct,and let me keep it. $3350, is what I would get, plus they have a company that would buy it from me for the $375. Now I don't know if I want to buy a new Dt 300  and fix up the old one,( frame is good,it's mostly cosmetic) or sell it for parts. Also I like the new 2016 Xciting 500 and the Honda CTX700. Decisions, decisions!! Any thoughts or opinions,would be appreciated. I trust you folks.

Rich

It's just me. But Unless you just want to tinker with it, I'd take the money and run. Just put this scooter behind you , get another and RIDE. i had A 2009 Xciting 250. The only reason I got rid of it was because I regularly drove it very near its limits for many miles daily. If it had been a 500, I would never have gotten rid of it. Some of the Xciting 500's have had cold start issues, but those seemed to be pre-2012 models.
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 22, 2016, 12:09:18 PM »
Man that is great news you can get out on the temporary prosthesis Forbes. I am looking forward to you getting the "real" prosthesis. I know it is frustrating waiting to get that new part. Did they give you a tracking number?  ;D
No tracking number. But at least it's not on backorder. 😅. But it's a custom made part. I just hope they don't tell me that they lost my pattern . Lol.
2009 Xciting 250

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 22, 2016, 01:11:54 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I may keep the Dt, because I do like to tinker, and stay busy. I am done with work already at 9:00 am, so I definitely need things to keep myself busy. I will probably get something new and keep the Dt as a spare. You can never have enough toys, right?

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 22, 2016, 01:15:28 PM »
By the way, Forbes, I'm happy to hear about your progress. Keeping my fingers crossed and hope you get your permanent prosthetic soon.

Rich

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 22, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I may keep the Dt, because I do like to tinker, and stay busy. I am done with work already at 9:00 am, so I definitely need things to keep myself busy. I will probably get something new and keep the Dt as a spare. You can never have enough toys, right?

Rich

True. Toys are great!

Also, thanks for the well wishes. It means a lot to me.
2009 Xciting 250

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 22, 2016, 02:19:43 PM »
Xc500 without a doubt!
Plus a dt300. Bonus.
Heaven on earth for sure.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 22, 2016, 02:32:51 PM »
xsel, that's what I've been telling the boss ( wife) [emoji6]. She will come around. I usually get what I want. Lol

Rich

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 22, 2016, 10:09:26 PM »
xsel, that's what I've been telling the boss ( wife) [emoji6]. She will come around. I usually get what I want. Lol

Rich

When you approach "the boss" tell her the 500 is a heavier, safer scooter that can go fast enough to really get you out of trouble if you need to. You see, its not about getting new toys, its about being SAFER.  ;) ;) ;)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 22, 2016, 10:30:00 PM »
Hey, that's a really good way of putting it!!! Thanks, I will definitely use that. I just love this forum

Rich

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 23, 2016, 12:07:39 AM »
Its worked for me Rich. Glad your here man.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 23, 2016, 10:15:33 AM »
Forbes,
When I trained at Brooke Army Medical Center, TX, I watched the prosthetic shops build extremeties and facial items for Vietnam casualties.  Brooke was also the burn center for all the sevice branches at that time. Fascinating work....and their work was undertaken   with such skill and care.
The patience required by these young casualties semed to be one of the hardest parts of the rehab process.
I hope you get your new help item soonest...and that your body will be able to work well with it.
Please continue to keep us posted.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()