Author Topic: Had a bad accident  (Read 49787 times)

pipster326

• View Profile
Re: Had a bad accident
« Reply #225 on: September 16, 2016, 07:04:11 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Forbes. They don't explain that to you. He told me that  they wouldn't even want it , so letting them take it to get more money, wasn't even an option . I will fight them on the $500, you can bet on that.Now it's a waiting game... Tick Tick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 16, 2016, 09:01:01 PM »
The insurance companies pay incentives to the inspector to pay YOU less. If they were sure that they could get more than 500 at a salvage auction, then he likely would not even have suggested that you buy it from them. You would have had to ask them about it. But since they are not sure what it will bring at auction, they'd rather get the "sure money" from you. So unless you want it for some reason, make them pay you the FULL AMOUNT and let them have it.

The guy who looked at the scooter may be a nice guy. But remember that he is working on behalf of the insurance company. By the way, who is the insurance company? Some have a reputation of trying to short change people.

2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 16, 2016, 09:18:49 PM »
Thanks Mr. Paul and Forbes, for your advice. I am trying to research my make and model, but the only bad thing is, there's just not many of them for sale, other than brand new. I am going to try my best, to get the highest pay out that I can.He did mention something about getting $500 less then the value, because they don't take the scooter from me, and let me keep it. I will also fight that, I don't think I should have to pay anything, since he also told me that , they were accepting full responsibility for the accident. The guy was actually pretty nice. He told me to negotiate with them, if I don't agree with whatever figure they come up with . So, hopefully by early next week, I should be ready to argue my case. Hope for the best!!!!

Rich

http://claz.org/classifieds?q=Kymco+downtown&p=2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2016, 12:13:15 PM »
Forbes, Plymouth Rock, is the insurance company. I really don't know much about them. I have Geico. I guess I could always go through my insurance, if I come to an impasse with Plymouth Rock

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2016, 01:16:11 PM »
Forbes, Plymouth Rock, is the insurance company. I really don't know much about them. I have Geico. I guess I could always go through my insurance, if I come to an impasse with Plymouth Rock

Use your own only as a VERY LAST resort. Besides, you have a deductible if you use your own, and they still use the same formula for determining value. Plymouth Rock is a reputable company. Persistence  and PATIENCE are the keys. Just don't sign anything until you are reasonably satisfied. You may not get what you want. But make sure you get what's fair.
2009 Xciting 250

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2016, 11:19:57 PM »
Yes, Forbes, I would only go thru mine as a last resort. My concern is, I paid around $4300, w/ tax,title and fees about 10 months ago. Had 400 miles and not a scratch on it!! I added a new Givi windscreen and new front and rear Metzeler tires.So now I'm up to about $4800. I know that it depreciates and I'm not going to get that. I just don't want them to say, here's $2000. No way I could find one, in the shape and low miles, like mine. For that price.I would probably have to get a 2016 or 2015 left over and pay close to $6000. I just get so upset , that I'm stuck in limbo, going to lose money, have to decide if I want to fix it or get something different and this "joker" just got to drive away, like nothing happened.
Enough about me, how are you doing? I hope everything is going well with the prosthesis and all. I do appreciate all your feedback. Your a good man,Forbes

Rich

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 18, 2016, 07:24:42 AM »
Yes, Forbes, I would only go thru mine as a last resort. My concern is, I paid around $4300, w/ tax,title and fees about 10 months ago. Had 400 miles and not a scratch on it!! I added a new Givi windscreen and new front and rear Metzeler tires.So now I'm up to about $4800. I know that it depreciates and I'm not going to get that. I just don't want them to say, here's $2000. No way I could find one, in the shape and low miles, like mine. For that price.I would probably have to get a 2016 or 2015 left over and pay close to $6000. I just get so upset , that I'm stuck in limbo, going to lose money, have to decide if I want to fix it or get something different and this "joker" just got to drive away, like nothing happened.
Enough about me, how are you doing? I hope everything is going well with the prosthesis and all. I do appreciate all your feedback. Your a good man,Forbes

Rich

I'm doing well. Thank you. There was another delay in getting my "real" prosthesis. That's somewhat frustrating. But I'm so thankful to even have the test leg because even though I have to use the Walker if I'm going to walk more than a few yards, the amount of added independence as opposed to having to hop around on one leg is like night and day! I can go grocery shopping now without having to have my nephew accompany me. I can get a bowl of ice cream for myself, and also get a bowl for my mother. Lord willing, I'll soon be returning to my own house.👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 18, 2016, 07:26:20 AM »
I'm doing well. Thank you. There was another delay in getting my "real" prosthesis. That's somewhat frustrating. But I'm so thankful to even have the test leg because even though I have to use the Walker if I'm going to walk more than a few yards, the amount of added independence as opposed to having to hop around on one leg is like night and day! I can go grocery shopping now without having to have my nephew accompany me. I can get a bowl of ice cream for myself, and also get a bowl for my mother. Lord willing, I'll soon be returning to my own house.👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

By the way, the guy who hit you is not completely getting away. His insurance premiums will increase.
2009 Xciting 250

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 18, 2016, 10:15:32 AM »
Excellent, I'm so happy that you are starting to get your independence back!!! You have made great progress, in the 2 and 1/2 months, since your accident. Your spirit and attitude have been INCREDIBLE!!!!

Rich

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 18, 2016, 01:07:00 PM »
Just went to see what I would Really need, to get the DT, back in the road.
The rest of the damage is mostly cosmetic. Checked belt and pulleys and rear rim and tire. They seem ok.Now I will see if I can get these parts, and how much they would be

Rich

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 18, 2016, 06:42:16 PM »
Dont forget to check the frame for alignment Rich. Man, that was quite a hit you took!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 18, 2016, 08:43:39 PM »
Yea, Mr.Paul, he hit me pretty good. My back and shoulder are still not happy yet. I know it could've been a lot worse. But I'm still feeling it, and it's going on 3 weeks. I will put the scoot on the lift and definitely check the frame .

Rich

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 18, 2016, 10:56:14 PM »
I am glad you came out of it without serious injury Rich. Keep your chin up and I hope you are back on two wheels very soon!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 19, 2016, 02:11:12 AM »
Just went to see what I would Really need, to get the DT, back in the road.
The rest of the damage is mostly cosmetic. Checked belt and pulleys and rear rim and tire. They seem ok.Now I will see if I can get these parts, and how much they would be

Rich

Yes, DEFINITELY check very closely because what you find will determine whether to keep it and attempt to repair it yourself, or to just take ALL of the money and "run". Also, I would take one more visit to the doctor just for certainty sake. While it's an inconvenience to take a loss on the bike , it's utterly tragic to take a loss on your health. If , God  forbid, there is some hidden damage in your back or elsewhere that they missed on the initial examination, many states have STRICT limitations on the time allowed to claim it. Also, the insurance company often tries to rush you into signing a medical settlement, so they can close the case and prevent from paying previously unknown damage.

I don't believe in making bogus claims. But I also don't believe in getting less than what will make you physically whole. Yes, it's good to try to "tough it out". But make certain you are only toughing out things that will correct themselves on their own and not potentially serious problems.

You can get another bike even if you have to pay more than you'd like. But you can't get another YOU. So don't neglect yourself while dealing with that bike. Like the bike. But LOVE and take care of yourself.

2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 19, 2016, 09:33:16 AM »
Thats some wise advice Darryl!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()