Author Topic: Had a bad accident  (Read 49768 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Had a bad accident
« Reply #210 on: September 11, 2016, 04:15:25 AM »
Hello everyone. Although this is only a "preparatory" prosthesis, and I'm still using a walker except for VERY short stints on a cane and even shorter stints walking across the room unaided, I can't describe the feeling of having TWO legs again. I think I walked at least 1/4 mile or more around my mother's and sister's yard on Friday. I drove with my sister to the furniture store Saturday  and didn't have to hop to grab the walker or wait for her to get it out. Later, I walked across the field to my uncle's house. (Not home). So I walked to a cousin's house. (Not home either). But I was determined for SOMEONE to see me walking. So I looked further  to another cousin's house and saw they were home. So I walked there just to here them say. "You're just like your daddy. You won't sit down for nothing! We visited until dark, and one of them brought me back home. Yes, it was somewhat slow walking compared to my usual pace. And yes I was using a walker. But man, that felt good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Re: Had a bad accident
« Reply #211 on: September 11, 2016, 04:23:42 AM »
By the way, Saturday was the FIRST day I drove just to drive and kill time. Yes, the initial purpose was to go to the furniture store. But we ended up riding about 100 miles today. We stopped to the furniture store, to eat, and to browse the thrift store. I think as of now, my limit without getting out to stretch and walk is about 50 miles. But that's ok. That's how far my job is from my house. So it won't be a problem once I start back to work. Anyway, that's progress. God has been good to me.

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2016, 10:20:49 AM »
Good Sunday morning Pastor.
Thankyou for keeping us in the family loop.
We're pretty much always home when you want to visit.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2016, 10:38:42 AM »
 Same here,Forbes. If you are ever, in NYC/NJ area. You are more than welcome

Rich

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2016, 04:37:51 PM »
Nothing's better than a story of hope and recovery. Thanks for the updates, and what I'll call your triumphs.

- Wolf

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2016, 06:52:33 PM »
Thanks for the update Forbes. I believe in a very small way, we are all going through this with you. It is so encouraging to hear how well you are doing my friend. I am looking forward to the day you can get back to work. 
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 13, 2016, 06:52:51 PM »
Ok, I'm officially pissed off. Today marks 2 weeks, since I had my accident. The insurance company still has not come to look at the damage. So I'm still in the dark, about what exactly is going to happen. Either fix it or total it? Forbes, I need some of your wisdom and words of encouragement... Please!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 13, 2016, 07:04:32 PM »
Ok, I'm officially pissed off. Today marks 2 weeks, since I had my accident. The insurance company still has not come to look at the damage. So I'm still in the dark, about what exactly is going to happen. Either fix it or total it? Forbes, I need some of your wisdom and words of encouragement... Please!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Two weeks is excessive by any standards. Incidentally, Who is his insurance company ? At any rate, I'd call that company until they recognize my voice by heart. I'd make sure to always talk to a live person. Then I'd press them until they give me a date CERTAIN. I wo no longer accept "soon" as an answer. If I can't get anywhere, I'd threaten to report them to whoever regulates insurance companies in your state, and I'd follow through on the threat. I've never had to wait more than a week for an inspection. And that was when agents were tied up with a bunch of flood claims in the area. Don't get nasty. But be FIRM. Make a "pest" of yourself until they do something. But be a polite pest.
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 13, 2016, 07:08:27 PM »
Having said all of that, don't let this foolishness cause you to lose your peace.Be persistent. But don't let the frustration spill over into other areas of your life or onto other people. Enjoy EVERYTHING ELSE in your life. Remember, as aggravating as it is, it's only a portion of your life.
2009 Xciting 250

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 13, 2016, 09:01:30 PM »
Forbes, I knew that I could count on you. Thanks for taking time out , to give me some advice. I know it's not the end of the world, I finally got a hold of someone, and they promised me that the adjuster would be in contact with me this evening. I wasn't nasty, just persistent. I'll keep you updated

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 15, 2016, 07:29:17 PM »
Well, the insurance adjuster finally showed up today!!!! He said the DT300 is most likely a total loss! Now they have to determine what the value is. Not what I really wanted to hear. I don't even want to think about how much $ I'm probably going to lose. So I guess I'll just have to wait some more...

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 15, 2016, 08:15:24 PM »
Well, the insurance adjuster finally showed up today!!!! He said the DT300 is most likely a total loss! Now they have to determine what the value is. Not what I really wanted to hear. I don't even want to think about how much $ I'm probably going to lose. So I guess I'll just have to wait some more...

You cant let "them" determine what the value of the scooter is. It would be a good idea for you to do a little homework and start searching the market for like scooters and the true retail value of them. Print them out. When and if they give a value less than what it would cost you to replace what you had, dispute it! There are procedures to do it. Most times it costs them more to settle a dispute than to pay a reasonable claim amount. I would encourage you not to accept less than what would make you whole in this situation. You have to be a strong advocate for yourself. Trust me, no one else will. Be polite but be firm. Sorry if I am coming off a bit strong but I am trying to be helpful. I hope the best for you.  :)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 16, 2016, 04:27:42 AM »
You cant let "them" determine what the value of the scooter is. It would be a good idea for you to do a little homework and start searching the market for like scooters and the true retail value of them. Print them out. When and if they give a value less than what it would cost you to replace what you had, dispute it! There are procedures to do it. Most times it costs them more to settle a dispute than to pay a reasonable claim amount. I would encourage you not to accept less than what would make you whole in this situation. You have to be a strong advocate for yourself. Trust me, no one else will. Be polite but be firm. Sorry if I am coming off a bit strong but I am trying to be helpful. I hope the best for you.  :)
Yes, be polite but firm. But also find out what the law is in your state. Some states allow fair market value. But others allow the insurance to pay "actual cash value ". If it's actual cash value, your options may be limited because they simply look it up in a book such as Kelly's blue book. Then there's a formula for mileage and condition. I'm not fully certain about scooters, but in the case of cars you can sometimes get a little extra if you just purchased NEW matching tires, or did upgrades that increase the value of the vehicle. Sometimes there are several official sources to determine the value. You can demand they tell you which source they used , then check behind them. Then check the other available sources and compare them as well and try to get them to use the one that has the highest value. However, if you live in a state that requires them to pay fair market value, you are usually in a better bargaining position because they must be able to PROVE that there is a vehicle in YOUR AREA in the same or better condition as yours with similar or lower mileage that can be purchased for what they are offering you.
2009 Xciting 250

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 16, 2016, 07:23:24 AM »
Thanks Mr. Paul and Forbes, for your advice. I am trying to research my make and model, but the only bad thing is, there's just not many of them for sale, other than brand new. I am going to try my best, to get the highest pay out that I can.He did mention something about getting $500 less then the value, because they don't take the scooter from me, and let me keep it. I will also fight that, I don't think I should have to pay anything, since he also told me that , they were accepting full responsibility for the accident. The guy was actually pretty nice. He told me to negotiate with them, if I don't agree with whatever figure they come up with . So, hopefully by early next week, I should be ready to argue my case. Hope for the best!!!!

Rich

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 16, 2016, 11:51:39 AM »
Thanks Mr. Paul and Forbes, for your advice. I am trying to research my make and model, but the only bad thing is, there's just not many of them for sale, other than brand new. I am going to try my best, to get the highest pay out that I can.He did mention something about getting $500 less then the value, because they don't take the scooter from me, and let me keep it. I will also fight that, I don't think I should have to pay anything, since he also told me that , they were accepting full responsibility for the accident. The guy was actually pretty nice. He told me to negotiate with them, if I don't agree with whatever figure they come up with . So, hopefully by early next week, I should be ready to argue my case. Hope for the best!!!!

Rich
The offer they made is typical when a vehicle is totalled. It's worth considering if you have a particular attachment to it and can either fix it yourself or have a friend that can fix it for significantly less than the money they are giving you AND will still have a SAFE vehicle in states that allow it. Also, it may be worth considering if you want to keep it as a parts scooter. Keep in mind that you will receive a junk or salvage title which renders it nearly worthless if you resell it later.

if you let them keep the scooter (likely the best option) they will give you the full value because they are purchasing it from you. The $500 they will deduct if you choose to keep it is actually the previous value minus the value AFTER the wreck. Technically, it's you buying the wrecked scooter back from them . It's what they estimate that they will get for it when they try to auction it to a junkyard.

2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()