Author Topic: Had a bad accident  (Read 49778 times)

pipster326

• View Profile
Re: Had a bad accident
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2016, 10:22:04 AM »
Never said a word, he didn't even ask if I was OK!!! He must have seen the steam shooting out of my ears. I WAS PISSED!!!!!!! Had all my reflective hi-vis gear on too. People passing by were more concerned than he was. What ya gonna do? I never wish harm to anyone ( I was raised better than that) but you know what they say about Karma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2016, 10:48:15 AM »
Never said a word, he didn't even ask if I was OK!!! He must have seen the steam shooting out of my ears. I WAS PISSED!!!!!!! Had all my reflective hi-vis gear on too. People passing by were more concerned than he was. What ya gonna do? I never wish harm to anyone ( I was raised better than that) but you know what they say about Karma

That's the sad part. When I've been  in an accident, I ask if the other person is ok,even if they are the ones who caused it. It's common courtesy. So it's unconscionable that this guy showed no concern for your well being. I guess common courtesy has gone the way of common sense. Neither is common anymore. But again, we're thankful that you're ok. Although it's aggravating and disheartening, your scooter can be replaced. You can't. I'm sorry about what happened. But I'm ELATED that you are around to tell the story. Be blessed. And I hope your injuries heal quickly. And I hope your scooter is repaired or replaced quickly enough to allow you to get at least a little more riding in this summer.
2009 Xciting 250

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2016, 10:49:20 AM »

It really is sad that there are people like that but it seems to be more regular nowadays.   Some times I go for a long walk and the things I see people doing whilst driving, parking, etc just make me shake my head in disbelief and then I remember these are the same people on the roads whilst I am riding.

Look at this clip http://imgur.com/gallery/SvKRxtN

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2016, 05:03:01 PM »
Well, I had a setback in my quest to get my new leg. The check socket did not quite fit properly even after he modified it somewhat, so he has to get another one made. It may be about one mire week. Well at least the delay was not caused by my problems with my body. I compare it to taking your scooter to the dealer for installation of a special order part, thinking it's going to be fixed, and then finding that the part was defective and having to reorder and wait.lol
Yes, I'm disappointed. But patience strengthens character.
2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2016, 08:44:44 PM »
Pipster, I am sorry to hear of your "accident." It is hard to believe this person lost awareness of you after following you for so long. I guess they forgot to bring their brains with them that day. I am appalled at how callous people are nowdays. Like most of you, I was NOT raised like that. 
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2016, 08:49:21 PM »
Well, I had a setback in my quest to get my new leg. The check socket did not quite fit properly even after he modified it somewhat, so he has to get another one made. It may be about one mire week. Well at least the delay was not caused by my problems with my body. I compare it to taking your scooter to the dealer for installation of a special order part, thinking it's going to be fixed, and then finding that the part was defective and having to reorder and wait.lol
Yes, I'm disappointed. But patience strengthens character.

Hey Forbes. Is the check socket a temporary socket they fit you with until you get accustomed to your new prostetic? I am sorry for the setback. Is it also kind of like ordering that new part you desperately need, only to get an email later telling you it is on back-order? I hate it when that happens! I know you are chomping at the bit to get back in the game, and I hope and pray it is soon.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2016, 09:21:11 PM »
Hey Forbes. Is the check socket a temporary socket they fit you with until you get accustomed to your new prostetic? I am sorry for the setback. Is it also kind of like ordering that new part you desperately need, only to get an email later telling you it is on back-order? I hate it when that happens! I know you are chomping at the bit to get back in the game, and I hope and pray it is soon.
That's exactly what it is. They make the socket from the mold of my stump. So it's custom made . And it's transparent so he can see the pressure points. But the leg is flesh, and the cast is rigid. So I suspect that my leg flexed at the bottom when the mold was made , and the check socket didn't take that into account. My prosthetist said that it's not unusual for the first socket to have to be re made, especially a thin person with skinny legs like myself . He didn't want excess pressure to be against the bony areas. The check socket is worn for a week, and minor modifications are made to it. Then a "permanent " socket is made from it. The residual leg will shrink fairly rapidly over a period of 8 months to a year as the healing completes,  pressure and movement of walking on it moves the fluid from it, and the unused muscles atrophy. Eventually the socket can no longer be modified nor enough stump  socks be worn to ensure a proper fit. That's when another socket will be made. And I'll be able to get a more cosmetically aesthetically pleasing leg if I desire. The second socket will last longer. And the leg , socket, and foot can be replaced by component as they wear or the fitting changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2016, 09:42:03 PM »
It is said that the average lifelong cost of an amputation with the various leg components being replaced with the required fittings, and the various supplies,  is 1.4 million dollars!! I'll surely get MY money's worth from my insurance. WOW!  They say that I can become a part of various advocacy groups. And sometimes companies give away leg and foot components for us to test and recommend.

2009 Xciting 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 01, 2016, 12:26:17 AM »
Pip and Forbes, He tested you both and He will see ya through it. You both are doing well and you still have a purpose.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 01, 2016, 12:26:52 AM »
Thanks for the info Forbes. Man, I didn't  know what I didn't know! I am looking forward to you getting the new socket and prosthesis. Continue to keep us posted. Think about doing a blog or something. You have a gift with words and a story to tell, one far beyond your injury.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2016, 04:24:46 PM »
Thank you all, for your words of encouragement and thoughts. Forbes, you are the Man!!! After all that you've been through, you never seem to give up or get discouraged. You have a positive attitude, that's AWESOME!!!
 I'm sitting here, sulking, waiting to get the accident report, so I can get the scooter repaired and then I remember what your dealing with and get brought back to reality. It makes me realize that my situation isn't a big deal.
 They say, the man upstairs, gives us tests. But I think he has you penciled in for the SAT's. Stay strong( as you have been through this whole ordeal) God Bless

Rich

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 01, 2016, 11:33:25 PM »
Thank you all, for your words of encouragement and thoughts. Forbes, you are the Man!!! After all that you've been through, you never seem to give up or get discouraged. You have a positive attitude, that's AWESOME!!!
 I'm sitting here, sulking, waiting to get the accident report, so I can get the scooter repaired and then I remember what your dealing with and get brought back to reality. It makes me realize that my situation isn't a big deal.
 They say, the man upstairs, gives us tests. But I think he has you penciled in for the SAT's. Stay strong( as you have been through this whole ordeal) God Bless

Rich

Thanks, . You're HUMAN. And when we face our situations, they are a big deal to us no matter how much of an ordeal the next guy is going through. I laugh now. But in the first moments after my accident while I was pumped with adrenaline and BEFORE I saw my leg, I was thinking about my month old scooter and how I would get it home. If I had not been hurt, I would have been sitting beside the road huffing and puffing over a piece of plastic and metal. I would likely have been angry that my roadside service was taking too long. And I would have been complaining that I was going to get home too late to get enough rest before church. In other words, ALL problems seem major when WE are going through them. It's human nature. It was only seeing my partially severed leg that made me realize the scooter didn't matter. We humans are a mess. Lol. By the way, I hope you ride soon, and share your triumphs and joys. So that guy's insurance needs to hurry up!
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 01, 2016, 11:35:01 PM »
Be sure to post a picture of your new or newly repaired scooter.
2009 Xciting 250

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 02, 2016, 09:44:09 AM »
This is why I like discussing issues with you guys. People on this forum, have a much better understanding, on what's going on and the emotions and feelings that are felt. Many have been through similar situations.My main concern, is that insurance isn't going to give me anything close, to what it's going to cost to fix. Will it ride or feel the same??? That was my toy, my hobby!! Forbes, don't worry. As soon as it's fixed or replaced, I will definitely be showing it off. As soon as I find out what's going to happen, I will give updates.

Rich

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2016, 07:28:57 PM »
Pipster, dont forget to fight for a diminished value insurance adjustment on top of the cost of repairs. I hope it turns out well for you.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()