Author Topic: Had a bad accident  (Read 49748 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Re: Had a bad accident
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2016, 12:04:02 AM »
Thanks guys. I've joined a couple of other scooter forums. Maxi Scoots and Majesty USA. The folk at Maxi Scoots are nice enough. Just not as much activity. Too many on the Majesty forum are just too negative. They seem more intent on constantly whining about the Majesty's minor flaws. On here, even though you all recognize that the various Kymco scooters have their flaws, the basic consensus is that you generally love them. Not only that you all seem to enjoy LIFE more. And you don't take yourselves too seriously. Folks like you are great to remain in contact with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2016, 12:19:44 AM »
Yes, it's too soon to make a decision. I think my accident spooked several people. One of my high school friends rode his motorcycle to come visit me in the hospital. He stated that he could hardly ride home. And is considering getting rid of it. Another friend of the family ( we call him our adopted brother) was going to purchase a Harley  as his retirement gift. But He has knee problems, so my scooter intrigued him. Now he's spooked as well and has changed his mind about getting two wheels of any kind. Perhaps time will calm them down . My immediate family and one or two close friends are the only ones (other than my God and myself) who will have any influence on my decision. I can already see getting 7 phone calls per day to see if I made it home. (My mother and my three brothers and three sisters) . I can't blame them, I'd do the same with them. I already sit on pins and needles after church on Wednesday nights until my 85 year old mother calls to tell me she made it home safely from my house. We're all a little touched like that.[emoji23][emoji23]

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2016, 12:28:57 AM »
Anyway, I'll remain in touch with you all either way. Perhaps when I get my prosthesis and master it, we can all become rational again. My oldest brother reverted back to being over protective. He's big brother with a touch of our deceased father combined . As the youngest of 7, everyone has entered into "protect baby brother " mode. Lol. But it's a GREAT problem to have. I may be expressed in strange way. But it's GREAT to be loved. Too many people have NO ONE who cares about them.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2016, 01:49:48 AM »
I'm blessed. I asked my oldest brother if he would improve my front steps and install some handrails. He's building me  6'x6' front stoop.
2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2016, 08:36:01 PM »
You are indeed blessed Forbes. Allowing you brother to help you, helps him. I think you understand what I mean.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2016, 09:28:42 PM »
Yeah, Forbes, there IS something special here that few can match. There is mutual respect and that "spring-loaded-to-help" thing. Nice of you to observe and comment! Thanks! And I love my DT300i, warts and all! Not too many warts..... I think the maxi-cruisers spent a load of dough and expect perfection, maybe. They don't get perfection so they snivel. Also, one has to adapt to the machine's limitations and exploit the stuff INSIDE the limitation envelope. I think one of the great things here is the great pool of tech-spertise that goes with the wanting to help another rider. You ain't gonna get that at the dealer!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2016, 04:17:57 AM »
In the "THAT WAS WEIRD" department. Last week, For the first time since I was 19 or 20, I rode as a PASSENGER for about ten miles with my mother as the driver. I'm now 52. She's 85. She still drives regularly on her personal errands. But when of her kids and grandkids got their learner permit, she moved to the passenger side as long as one of us is in the car. She still drives pretty good. But man, that felt weird! I think she felt weird too. But I think she was glad to be able to haul her "baby boy" around one more time.

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2016, 10:50:40 AM »
Don't know why...but this reminds me of my first time driving.
Staying with my grandmother one summer.
I was 12.
She let me drive her big "wide-track" Pontiac for a mile or two on a country road.
She told me to stop under that tree down the road and then my brother could have his turn.
I drove up to the tree and jabbed the brakes...WOW!
Who knew about power brakes??!
I put my grandmother under the dash and my brother on the floor in the back seat.
No injuries and we all came up laughing hysterically.

A few weeks later she tossed me the car keys and told me to go fetch some eggs from the farm up the road.
Coming home I smashed the whole bag of eggs when I got air-born over a culvert.....my whole life passed before me (which...at 12 didn't take too long) as I waited for that Pontiac to come back to earth.
Grandma grounded me, thankfully, after that.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2016, 04:07:33 PM »
Don't know why...but this reminds me of my first time driving.
Staying with my grandmother one summer.
I was 12.
She let me drive her big "wide-track" Pontiac for a mile or two on a country road.
She told me to stop under that tree down the road and then my brother could have his turn.
I drove up to the tree and jabbed the brakes...WOW!
Who knew about power brakes??!
I put my grandmother under the dash and my brother on the floor in the back seat.
No injuries and we all came up laughing hysterically.

A few weeks later she tossed me the car keys and told me to go fetch some eggs from the farm up the road.
Coming home I smashed the whole bag of eggs when I got air-born over a culvert.....my whole life passed before me (which...at 12 didn't take too long) as I waited for that Pontiac to come back to earth.
Grandma grounded me, thankfully, after that.
Stig
Thankfully i grew up in "the country " where my first driving experience was on a 1950 something Ford 800 tractor. My biggest "problem " was being able to yank off the clutch and popping a wheelie with the heavy plow on the back without Daddy seeing me. Lol.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2016, 04:19:28 PM »
Update: My surgeon said that my wound site looked great. The only reason he hasn't fully released me is because if he does, my short term disability payments will immediately cease. So he told me to come back in January. But the BEST NEWS is the fact that I go in on Monday my initial prosthetic fitting. I'm not sure of the exact process. But my prosthetist (say that three times real fast.[emoji23][emoji23]) has taken a mold of my residual limb and has made a "check socket" . I'm going in Monday to make sure it fits correctly, and he can make modifications if required. Also, he can check my gait. From that, he'll make a real socket and I'll get the rest of my leg and foot. That entire process should only take a few days. To say I'm excited is an understatement to say the least.

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2016, 05:18:08 PM »
That's great news Forbes.
Thanks for keeping us updated.
Remember, the forum requires pix any time a member gets new "wheels", or it didn't happen! :-):-)
Have a good w/e.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2016, 06:23:02 PM »
Great news Forbes! Thanks for the update. I cant help but thinking of Lee Majors when you get the prosthesis. (Insert sound here)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2016, 10:45:49 PM »
Great news Forbes! Thanks for the update. I cant help but thinking of Lee Majors when you get the prosthesis. (Insert sound here)
Dunt,dunt, dunt, dunt,dunt, dunt,dunt, dunt... Well, that's the closest to how I'd imagine it being spelled.[emoji28]

2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2016, 11:24:34 PM »
Lol! Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to spell it either!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 29, 2016, 03:18:07 AM »
Lol! Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to spell it either!
I could ask my mother how to spell it. She's a retired Language arts teacher. But I suspect this will be one of the few words that may stump her. lol
2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()