houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
Gloves
« on: May 31, 2014, 11:38:51 AM »
I need to replace my gloves.

So I am turning to you, the experts, to help me out here.  When your looking for gloves what do you normally look for?  I want to upgrade from the Walmart specials (which have served me well) to something a little better built and designed.

I know what I need in a glove, but I'm curious to see what you suggest. 
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Re: Gloves
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 12:02:40 PM »
Make a fist and look at all the things that stick out. Then TRY ON every glove you can find that covers those parts with thick padding/armor. In a fall we tend to make a fist.

But you have to try them on. I've found gloves and boots the hardest to get the right fit.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 09:57:18 PM »
Make a fist and look at all the things that stick out. Then TRY ON every glove you can find that covers those parts with thick padding/armor. In a fall we tend to make a fist.

But you have to try them on. I've found gloves and boots the hardest to get the right fit.

Be Big,
AMAC

Sorry, but I would disagree. No one makes a fist when falling;most people open their hands to break their fall so you need the most protection on the palms.
2013 Super8 150

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 11:57:28 AM »
Sorry, but I would disagree. No one makes a fist when falling;most people open their hands to break their fall so you need the most protection on the palms.

You ARE correct, Ninja! I went to our Military Surplus Store ( they carry a lot of bike stuff ) and got an armored knuckle pair with extra thick leather padding on heel and thumb (palm side ) of them for $40.00. Have debated putting my rollerblade pads on over them for long distance (talk about skid pads on the palm! ) but... probably too bulky for control. ;)
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 02:31:58 PM »
Something that may get overlooked is the lateral protection. I'm talking about the area that is in the 2nd knuckle of the thumb (along the thumb line). I don't know cause I haven't dumped but to me that area is likely to take a beating as your hands roll over from impact. Not all gloves have protection in that area but the higher quality ones do.
Wayne

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 03:22:17 PM »
Knuckle protection is for off-roaders.  Brush hits the hands (handlebars) as you crash through the wilderness.  I've been down.  Fortunately at only 35mph, and it was the palms of my gloves that saved my hands.  The backs were spotless. 

I would like to know what company makes a decent summer weight glove?
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 04:29:59 PM »
Icon makes a decent summer weight leather glove, with knuckle ventilation too.  I forget exactly which model of glove I have from them, but they were around $50, they are leather, good palm padding and the knuckle ventilation.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 06:32:39 PM »
Thanks  8)
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 08:55:43 AM »
  gloves and boots I like to try them on before I buy some ,  and helmets,.  very hard to find gloves to fit they don't carry size 14 and bigger in stock,

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »
  gloves and boots I like to try them on before I buy some ,  and helmets,.  very hard to find gloves to fit they don't carry size 14 and bigger in stock,

I agree.  I don't understand buying a helmet online, especially since there is no industry standard for sizes.  Hell, there isn't even a brand standard between styles.  I have an HJC 3/4 helmet that is a medium, but my HJC full face is a large.  I'm still trying to figure that one out.  So, I don't want to order something online, then if it is the wrong size you have to deal with shipping it back, guessing on another size, and then wait until they get it to you...in the meantime you could have just purchased one that you tried on at a bike shop.  I would rather be riding than waiting.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

josephthediviner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 02:54:33 AM »
This is one of those things that you need to try on before you buy, OK so once you find just the right ones try for a better price online.   I recently purchased a pair of Tourmaster Dri mesh gloves (waterproof) liner built in and they work the day after I bought them we rode for several hours in heavy rain and my hands stayed warm and dry.
 I have had two accidents the first I was wearing some joe rocket atomic summer gloves and they worked well at 40 mph...  The second I was wearing fulmer without any knuckle protectors and this time I went down at 65 f***ing Elk ran into the road,  the left hand suffered some pretty good abrasions on the first two knuckles but they healed and a broken bone in the wrist which no glove would help.
   It was hard to tell what condition the fulmer glove was in because the ambulance crew sliced it to get it off.. along with my favorite pair of Jeans and shirt....took two months before I could ride again too many broken bones and weird dizziness. 
    Here is hoping that my dues are paid and in case they aren't that the current pair will protect well.   

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()