Author Topic: variator weight choices and why  (Read 2431 times)

Ian7

• View Profile
variator weight choices and why
« on: November 29, 2014, 06:52:59 PM »
I want to give my Super 8 2T a better hit off the line, without going in to engine mods, even at the expense of top speed. From what I read, lighter weights are the way to achieve this.
Any idea what the stock weight in a 2013 Super 8 2T is (no owners manual, bought used)?
Second question, how light is too light? (I don't want to wheelie this thing, nor end up with a top speed of 20mph).
Third, is it fairly straightforward installation without special tools?
thanks

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: variator weight choices and why
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 07:13:06 PM »
I want to give my Super 8 2T a better hit off the line, without going in to engine mods, even at the expense of top speed. From what I read, lighter weights are the way to achieve this.
Any idea what the stock weight in a 2013 Super 8 2T is (no owners manual, bought used)?
Second question, how light is too light? (I don't want to wheelie this thing, nor end up with a top speed of 20mph).
Third, is it fairly straightforward installation without special tools?
thanks

8.5G stock. You don't want to go much lighter than that without changing anything else. What you can do that will get you s little more acceleration is get a set of 8.5g Dr pulley sliders. Lowest you want would be 8g but that might even be to light without at a bar minimum doing the exhaust de restriction (i made a topic of how to do this). Changing the weights will never make your bike wheelie, because light weights don't add any power, they just change what the engine rev constant is, and stock they pretty much designed it to do what the motor is able to do. Is your bike de restricted? Smooth boss in variator, #82 jet installed?
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 12:10:51 AM »
Contra spring, and everything that other dude said. Red Malossi if you are 200ish lbs, and purple Malossi if you are closer to 150 lbs.

Both jobs are easy to do. An Impact driver makes short work of either job. For a first time doing this, about an hour. After that 15-20 minutes tops.

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Ian7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 03:04:21 PM »
thx
I have no reason to think this used scoot with 50 miles on it is anything but stock, and I've done nothing to it yet.
By "smooth variator" I presume you mean taking the shoulder off to allow the pulley to move farther? did that on my People 50 but not yet on this one. As i recall, all that gave me was top speed, no better acceleration.
Curious about the exhaust de-restriction comment - would have thought on a two stroke you couldn't alter exhaust without making carb adjustments hand-in-hand?
Any chance theres a typo in the "weight of roller" reply? Author quotes 8.5g as stock, but says don't go below 8; if so, will that make any appreciable difference to justify cost and effort?
thanks again.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 06:36:14 PM »
thx
I have no reason to think this used scoot with 50 miles on it is anything but stock, and I've done nothing to it yet.
By "smooth variator" I presume you mean taking the shoulder off to allow the pulley to move farther? did that on my People 50 but not yet on this one. As i recall, all that gave me was top speed, no better acceleration.
Curious about the exhaust de-restriction comment - would have thought on a two stroke you couldn't alter exhaust without making carb adjustments hand-in-hand?
Any chance theres a typo in the "weight of roller" reply? Author quotes 8.5g as stock, but says don't go below 8; if so, will that make any appreciable difference to justify cost and effort?
thanks again.

De restricting the exhaust will require slight mixture adjustment but nothing else. And yes the boss will provide higher top speed but also part of the derestrction is to install the larger #82 main jet, which will effect acceleration. I said you don't want to go lighter than 8g because you will hurt acceleration and top speed of you rev past the powerband. I think you have the wrong picture in your head, you can't just throw lighter and lighter weights in to get better acceleration, the powerband on a stock 2t is low in the rpm and if you rev higher than that you'll lose performance. Also an 8g Dr slider Will act lighter than an 8g roller. My point with restrictions is if you do all of them; exhaust, main jet, and smooth drive boss, you may not want lighter weights. There's no point in trying to "tune" the variator before the bike is making all its derestrcted power. Look up my exhaust derestriction page.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Ian7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 06:42:09 PM »
found the page, thx  :)

Ian7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 11:41:09 PM »
Thx for everything so far. Smooth-boss variator in hand, please remind Mr. Nube if this goes in drive or driven end?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 11:55:46 PM »
Thx for everything so far. Smooth-boss variator in hand, please remind Mr. Nube if this goes in drive or driven end?
It goes between the halves of the drive pulley.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()