Author Topic: SOLVED #2 rim strips??SOLVED  (Read 4962 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
SOLVED #2 rim strips??SOLVED
« on: October 16, 2014, 12:28:39 AM »
Want to add to my "night presence" from the side....

So, tried to add rim reflective strip....but found the tape did not like a 13 or 14 inch rim.....so now have some made in a curve that are supposed to work.
Any tips on applying these from someone who's done so....?
Thanks, Stig
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 12:27:39 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Re: Tricks for applying rim reflective strips??
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 03:46:04 PM »
Funny you had posted this. I had just added 1/4" reflective tape to my Super 8 wheels over the weekend. Being the wheels on my scoot are black, I personally went with black reflective tape, which illuminates / reflects as "white". Rim tape is too damn expensive, so I went the cheaper route.

As for applying it? A clean surface, a good eye and patience. Apply to an area of the side of the rim, and either use the outer or inner edge of the rim for reference, and apply evenly throughout the circumference of the rim. tah-dah, you're done :p

I did the rear wheel first, because the wheel is already of the ground, for tire rotation upon applying the tape. I then weighted the back end to lift the front wheel off the ground.

When I get chance, I'll take some photo's and update my post.
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 10:16:15 PM »
Goof off!!! We always use goof off to clean the rim before applying rim tape, works great.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 02:10:40 AM »
Acetone. It evaporates quickly, and degrease s quickly. If you have any chips in the powder coat or lettering stamped/molded in the side wall, remove it. Chips can be filled w/ any quick dry compound like Bondo, ans lettering can be hand sanded off.

If you have trouble w/ it sticking a heat gun applied to the rim will soften the adhesive enough to fill the peaks/valleys.never apply the heat to the tape. It will distort instantly.
If for whatever reason you don't like it or later on want to remove it... the heat gun makes short work of it. Same for all the stickers on the bike.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 12:43:53 PM »
When I applied reflective accents on my scooter, I also used a heat gun to pre-warm the surface. I think this helps with adhesion.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable.

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 10:51:54 PM »
A lot of you are heading into cooler months... That's the only reason I thought of it.

I also apply wraps, and vinyl graphics, and mostly in the winter months. Pre heating surfaces is a MUST for cool weather (below approx 70*f)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

MooseMax

• This space for rent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 05:08:01 PM »
For side visibility, i just ordered some amber LED lights.  I figure motorists will see it better than tape when trying to change lanes into mine, since i always seem to be in their "blind spot".  ???   I'll put one near the front & one near the back, at the highest points of the body panels.  They were $4 apiece on Ebay. 

People 250
San Francisco, USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
applying rim strips??SOLVED
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 09:55:47 PM »
Well, got 'em on.
Soap & water, then wiped the rims with isopropyl alcohol. Got myself all situated on the cold garage floor, with some pillows off the couch. Get out my sheet of "12 - 15" precurved rim tapes.
Used the "wet" method, which worked a treat, then the wife's hairdryer (yes she was away at the store with my daughter who would have ratted me out in a New York Minute about the dryer and pillows on the garage floor!!)
2 hours later - OK, I take a lot of breaks - to scratch and get up and walk around and look at my handiwork, make coffee, etc. It's a process.
Found the safe jack point for the front wheel:

Rear:

So, I turn the light out, pull down the garage door and get out my daughter's TinkerBell flashlight and.....
C R A P O L A.....these aren't "reflective rim tapes"!!
I go back and carefully re-read the ebay auction. Not a word about these being reflective from my American seller! The roll of tape I first tried was reflective...not these pre-cut, pre-curved strips.
So,  small scooter wheels (13" or 14") might require the precurved rim strips - and I think these are only sold in the reflective form from China or Korea.
Still learning stuff here.

Will I redo these?
Maybe, some day.
Stig
PS:Yes, that's a cable to the parking 'drum' brake inside the rear hub. If you're going off a cliff you can lock up the emergency brake and grab a handfull of 'combined' disc braking. You're still a gone-er - but they'll say, "He (the late you) owned a scoot with lots of braking options!"
Actually , I like that parking brake - have used it several times in the squirrely places I park for pictures
PPS: fortunately don't think anyone will be reading this far down under this boring header.....
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:07:39 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: applying rim strips??SOLVED
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 11:54:38 PM »
Stig, what size wheels? We have pre cut 3m reflective kits that we cut out with a sticker plotter.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 01:06:55 AM »
Life sucks!

I DARE YOU TO DISS AGREE.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 01:11:05 AM by zombie »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 02:54:44 PM »
Stig, what size wheels? We have pre cut 3m reflective kits that we cut out with a sticker plotter.
Wow,.....!
I have a 14" front wheel and a 13" rear (Honda must have run out of one or the other during assembly of my scoot....or the lunch whistle went off right in the middle of assembly)
What size width (3mm or 6mm, or?), availability in Ducati/Ferrari Red?
Price for a set?
Take PayPal? Cash. Yen?
That would be great if I could "buy local" so to speak.
Let me know.....and thanks, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 08:59:01 PM »
Try this guy for highly reflective rim tape:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190998088624

CustomTaylor

He'll cut your reflective strips to fit your rim. He sent enough to me to do 4 wheels, so I've got extra in case any peels off in the future.

Just be sure that your rims are absolutely clean, and don't have any flaky paint. The first strip I tried to apply peeled right off as it took the outer layer of oxidized paint off with it. So I scrubbed the rims hard with soap and water, let them dry, then applied again, and they're still sticking.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
SOLVEDrim strips??SOLVED
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 12:27:07 AM »
This time really did solve my rim stripe issue!
These are reflective and you can get your make & model printed on them!
Darn near any size scooter wheel! (and motorcycle)

Had them do the Honda logo script, and cursive Forza on 6mm reflective tape.

Stig
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380361606947?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 12:31:17 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Budz

• View Profile
Re: SOLVEDrim strips??SOLVED
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 12:31:22 AM »
This time really did solve my rim stripe issue!
These are reflective and you can get your make & model printed on them!
Darn near any size scooter wheel! (and motorcycle)

Had them do the Honda logo script, and cursive Forza on 6mm reflective tape.
very nice! where did you buy them?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
Re: SOLVED #2 rim strips??SOLVED
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 12:32:56 AM »
Where'd you get them? I like the custom touch.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()