Author Topic: Time frame?  (Read 189 times)

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
Time frame?
« on: February 25, 2024, 06:35:41 PM »
  If I can find a local dealer to order me a People S 150i ABS, how long do you folks think it will take for it to get to the dealers ( New York state).
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics.         

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Time frame?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 07:20:51 PM »
best bet is to find what dealers Kymco NA has shipped them to, and start calling, my local dealer has sold all their Kymcos except 2 AK550s and 2 Like 150i ABS noodoes in inventory

or maybe a salesman at your local dealer will do that for you
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 08:25:31 PM »
Spring riding is still a ways off....hard to be patient.....but to get what you want!

Fly & ride? from wherever? OK, bus and ride....
Shipping is possible...if you can do the extra $.

Buyer's remorse is a tough pill...if you settle for 2nd choice.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 10:17:08 PM »
  My closest dealers don't seem to know what Kymco is going to ship to them. Cleveland Moto has one in stock. I'm thinking of renting a van to go buy it. Got to get an idea what trade-in I can expect and the cost of the van to consider my options. I asked about ordering one close to home and was told the shipping on one scooter was not economically feasible for them to order me one. Seems like a messed up system to me.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics.         

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 04:40:47 PM »
  My closest dealers don't seem to know what Kymco is going to ship to them. Cleveland Moto has one in stock. I'm thinking of renting a van to go buy it. Got to get an idea what trade-in I can expect and the cost of the van to consider my options. I asked about ordering one close to home and was told the shipping on one scooter was not economically feasible for them to order me one. Seems like a messed up system to me.

That's just like the welder that quoted me a cost that was more than twice what it should be to do some welding for a hitch I'm making. He, and that dealer, simply don't want to bother with providing that service at the moment. The dealer I bought my AK from had no trouble ordering a new AK to their store since they didn't have any at the time. But they ordered on me just expressing an interest if they "COULD" order one. Then they had no issues with ordering another one in the color I wanted. So to say it's not economical really means they just don't want to. I went just over 400 miles away to get mine. Since the dealer was offering a great trade value for my Burgman that was higher than any individual was willing to pay me I rode my Burgman to the dealer and road the AK back home with one overnight stop. I felt it was worth it. In my case, I packed a small 20L dry bag for overnight and used a 15" x 15" bungee net (real handy to have) to hold it onto the back seat. I filled the storage box under the seat with some extra maintenance parts (oil and air filters and such) that I bought while I was there.

I know that would be a little harder on a 150 scooter vs a 550 super scooter. But not outside possibility. Even to rent a U-Haul mc trailer would be worth it.

When I bought my Burgman I found a good deal on a used one 250 miles away and had a friend drive me up there and we brought it back in his truck... though I do wish I would have had him follow me as I rode it back home but...

One thing to consider is that Kymco is getting ready to ship out 2024 models but has not given anyone a date for that. So there might be a deal to be had for a 2023 model if that's what is on the floor
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 11:25:28 AM »
Things are looking up. I found a dealer 3 hours away that will not only order me what I want but says he can have it within a month. Now if I can just get him to agree on a $2000 trade-in value, I should be riding my new People by April. Wish me luck!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 04:40:20 PM »
Things are looking up. I found a dealer 3 hours away that will not only order me what I want but says he can have it within a month. Now if I can just get him to agree on a $2000 trade-in value, I should be riding my new People by April. Wish me luck!

Good for you!
I'd been interested in a big wheel scooter for a few years. At the time Kymco did not have a big wheel model - so I went with the Piaggio Liberty after reading its excellent reviews ("justgottascoot", and others)

This new People 150i (it was the People One in Europe before finally coming to the USA) looks like  a good scooter. I looked at one at my dealer a few yrs ago.
When compared to my Liberty - the People150i has one more valve, one more rear shock, 5 fewer cc's, one more HP, 2 wheel ABS, an LED headlight, a rear disc, is 31 lbs heavier, 2" longer wheelbase, and one more year warranty.

I imagine that Vespa/Piaggio has fewer dealers in this country than does Kymco.
My impression is that the Vespa/Piaggio scooter techs are more skilled, because they are better trained and better equipped with the proper tools and diagnostics - when compared to the average American "yeah, we have some Kymcos" dealers.

My Piaggio/Liberty has been bullet-proof and a blast to own since 2017 - however - it is also my impression that the average  American Kymco owner will find that they will require much less after-sales service from their Kymco dealer, than does a Piaggio/Vespa owner.
The Kymco seems a bit heavy, chunky & industrial in its overall design - compared to the Italian scooter. To each his own.

But, I pretty much just ride my LIKE200i by and wave to my Kymco dealer - since 2013.
Stig
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 04:48:05 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()