Author Topic: Kymco ak550 keyless switch don’t need any key to turn on  (Read 432 times)

Ak550

• View Profile
Kymco ak550 keyless switch don’t need any key to turn on
« on: January 20, 2024, 07:58:59 PM »
Hi,
I have kymco ak550 and i have problem with the switch.
I cannot completely lock the scooter.
I don't need any key to turn it on.
Someone had this problem or know how can i fix it?
Thanks.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco ak550 keyless switch don’t need any key to turn on
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 09:16:55 PM »
Hi,
I have kymco ak550 and i have problem with the switch.
I cannot completely lock the scooter.
I don't need any key to turn it on.
Someone had this problem or know how can i fix it?
Thanks.

The first step is to nail down exactly what is happening.

Which way are you turning the knob to turn it off?
That makes all the difference in the world. If you turn it to the RIGHT off position then that is NOT completely off. That position simply turns off the engine and the lights and the dash (except emergency flashers) for when you temporarily stop to take a photo or fill the gas tank. That's the direction to turn the knob to open the gas filler cover anyway. When you are ready to go again you can simply turn the knob back to center ON position and all turns back on again.

If you are turning the knob to the LEFT off position then the ring around the knob should turn red after 5-10 seconds and the bike should completely turn off... and then it would require the keyless fob to turn the bike back on. That is the ONLY true off on this bike. And yet there are some phantom loads that are always on... like the keyless fob sensor system, and maybe a few other electrical things... but the bike is as OFF as it can be only if you turn the knob to the LEFT off position.

I will often use the RIGHT off position if I want to stop for a picture or gas or just running in the quick shop for something and I'll only be away from the AK for a few seconds or minutes (but never out of sight of it). But if I really want to turn it off I use only the LEFT off position.

If the ring around the knob on your AK does not turn red after a few seconds, maybe 8 seconds I think, and then beeps and then turns off so that you do need to have the keyless fob nearby to turn it back on... if that is happening and you can then after 15 seconds or more turn the knob back to the right to the center ON position and the bike actually does turn on then you do have a switch problem.

I personally tested the distance the fob can be from the AK and it will still sense the fob enough to turn on. I worked with the owner of a scooter shop who kept stepping farther away to see when the AK would stop sensing the fob. It turns out that the AK can sense the fob over 45 ft in front of the scooter and about 5 ft to either side or behind. So if your fob is within that distance in front of the scooter when you turn it on then that's the issue.

This bike is like a lot of more modern technically kitted out bikes and modern cars and SUVs in that there is always something electrical running even when it is supposed to be off. The AK 550 has something called the Welcome screen that senses when the keyless fob is near and lights up the Noodoe screen. I am guessing that is for when you are parked in a very large parking lot with hundreds of other scooters and it is dark enough to see the lighted Noodoe screen when you are close to your AK. I turned that feature off in the Noodoe settings since I don't ever need it. Any time I park my AK in the garage I plug in the Battery Tender Jr and I can leave it that way indefinitely and know it will be ready to go any time. When I travel I find the battery maintains plenty of charge for several days to start with no issues... but I do take my Battery Tender Jr with me just in case even though I've never had to use it.

Oh, and to LOCK the scooter... as in engage the steering lock... you must start with the scooter turned on, then turn the handle bars all the way to the left, then turn the knob to the left and then push in on the knob while turning it all the way to the left. The ring around the knob should then turn red as mentioned above and the scooter should turn off and require the keyless fob to turn it on again. All this must happen within 8 seconds.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 09:20:21 PM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Ak550

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 07:32:46 AM »
The first step is to nail down exactly what is happening.

Which way are you turning the knob to turn it off?
That makes all the difference in the world. If you turn it to the RIGHT off position then that is NOT completely off. That position simply turns off the engine and the lights and the dash (except emergency flashers) for when you temporarily stop to take a photo or fill the gas tank. That's the direction to turn the knob to open the gas filler cover anyway. When you are ready to go again you can simply turn the knob back to center ON position and all turns back on again.

If you are turning the knob to the LEFT off position then the ring around the knob should turn red after 5-10 seconds and the bike should completely turn off... and then it would require the keyless fob to turn the bike back on. That is the ONLY true off on this bike. And yet there are some phantom loads that are always on... like the keyless fob sensor system, and maybe a few other electrical things... but the bike is as OFF as it can be only if you turn the knob to the LEFT off position.

I will often use the RIGHT off position if I want to stop for a picture or gas or just running in the quick shop for something and I'll only be away from the AK for a few seconds or minutes (but never out of sight of it). But if I really want to turn it off I use only the LEFT off position.

If the ring around the knob on your AK does not turn red after a few seconds, maybe 8 seconds I think, and then beeps and then turns off so that you do need to have the keyless fob nearby to turn it back on... if that is happening and you can then after 15 seconds or more turn the knob back to the right to the center ON position and the bike actually does turn on then you do have a switch problem.

I personally tested the distance the fob can be from the AK and it will still sense the fob enough to turn on. I worked with the owner of a scooter shop who kept stepping farther away to see when the AK would stop sensing the fob. It turns out that the AK can sense the fob over 45 ft in front of the scooter and about 5 ft to either side or behind. So if your fob is within that distance in front of the scooter when you turn it on then that's the issue.

This bike is like a lot of more modern technically kitted out bikes and modern cars and SUVs in that there is always something electrical running even when it is supposed to be off. The AK 550 has something called the Welcome screen that senses when the keyless fob is near and lights up the Noodoe screen. I am guessing that is for when you are parked in a very large parking lot with hundreds of other scooters and it is dark enough to see the lighted Noodoe screen when you are close to your AK. I turned that feature off in the Noodoe settings since I don't ever need it. Any time I park my AK in the garage I plug in the Battery Tender Jr and I can leave it that way indefinitely and know it will be ready to go any time. When I travel I find the battery maintains plenty of charge for several days to start with no issues... but I do take my Battery Tender Jr with me just in case even though I've never had to use it.

Oh, and to LOCK the scooter... as in engage the steering lock... you must start with the scooter turned on, then turn the handle bars all the way to the left, then turn the knob to the left and then push in on the knob while turning it all the way to the left. The ring around the knob should then turn red as mentioned above and the scooter should turn off and require the keyless fob to turn it on again. All this must happen within 8 seconds.

Thanks for the response.
I turn off the bike completely and lock the steering and wait 15 sec or more but still the knob not turning freely like it supposed to i still can unlock the steering and turn on the bike without the key.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 05:07:49 PM »
So with the fob at least 50 ft away from the front of the AK (or 15 ft away from the sides or rear) and the bars locked then the switch behind the knob never releases from the knob?
That sounds like it could be a few things.

Just to be certain you might want to check the fuses. I don't actually suspect a blown fuse since there would be other things not working but that's a good thing to do with any electrical problem.
Options for where the fault is are not very good or nice. It could be the switch. It could be the keyless controller module (on the right side frame tube just behind a set of relays). Both would require taking plastic off. I would lean toward the controller being the fault since the switch does otherwise seem to work electrically. But I could be wrong on that.

Here is the service manual and electrical diagram that should help. These are for the 2020 Euro 4 model which is at least 98% the same as the current USA models (2021-2024). At least I haven't found any differences or departure from these documents on mine (2022). Download them for your own use. They are free from the Kymco Austria HQ.
Service Manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M-nAUW1Ay0L6bK50D_EMwYPFT_4-YeDj/view?usp=drive_link
Electrical diagram in color: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M48vAJRF57y060p1fRAHnw0bEhk3DBpd/view?usp=drive_link
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 05:10:12 PM by rjs987 »
/bob

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 07:25:54 PM »
Is the machine still under warranty? If so dealer to fix?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 07:45:48 PM »
Don't know about this 550 model, but first thing I would do
-take battery cables off for awhile
- IF there is a battery within this remote control, change this battery.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Ak550

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 06:23:54 PM »
Don't know about this 550 model, but first thing I would do
-take battery cables off for awhile
- IF there is a battery within this remote control, change this battery.

I did all of those😕
Maybe there is another suggestions?
Thanks.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 07:12:00 PM »
What model year is yours?
Neil likely has the best option if yours is under 2 years old from date of original sale.
/bob

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()