Author Topic: Anlas Winter Grip 2 Tyres  (Read 1563 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Anlas Winter Grip 2 Tyres
« on: December 21, 2023, 02:27:09 PM »
It's winter, I'm UK-based and need a new rear tyre.  Considering an Anlas Winter Grip 2 replacement and wondered if anyone on here has any experience of this tyre?

https://merchandising.demon-tweeks.com/images/tr:q-80,c-at_max/media/catalog/product/a/n/anl_anl-wintergrip2-tyre-rear-jan23_129.jpg

(My rationale for considering this is the semi enduro tread pattern which is similar to the look of the OEM CSTs.)

If I can't source one then I may be tempted to change out the pair and in that case it'll be back to my old faithfuls, Michelin City Grip 2s...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Anlas Winter Grip 2 Tyres
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 03:41:10 PM »
I like it just from the picture, it's got sipes.  A must on winter roads. I had to go to the darkside to get em for my V-Strom
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 05:52:16 PM »
I like the siping!
Have always liked what Michelin had to say about their II's!

https://www.michelinman.com/motorcycle/tires/michelin-city-grip-2

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 10:02:02 PM »
Do NOT have experience with ANLAS but with MITAS which has an even rougher profile than Anlas.
This tyre is great in snow and sludge as well up to a certain degree of mud.
Riding limit with this Mitas was not a spinning wheel but sitting on ruts with the scoots (Grand Dink 150) belly.
On the wet street and dry  roads wasn't that convincing, gave a kind of motocross feeling.
So I use them only when we doing "dirting" , then change the whole wheel and City Grip on the spare for daily use.
But this Anlas looks good, is inexpensive and worth a try. You can always change again.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 10:04:59 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 12:05:26 AM »
Do NOT have experience with ANLAS but with MITAS which has an even rougher profile than Anlas.
This tyre is great in snow and sludge as well up to a certain degree of mud.
Riding limit with this Mitas was not a spinning wheel but sitting on ruts with the scoots (Grand Dink 150) belly.
On the wet street and dry  roads wasn't that convincing, gave a kind of motocross feeling.
So I use them only when we doing "dirting" , then change the whole wheel and City Grip on the spare for daily use.
But this Anlas looks good, is inexpensive and worth a try. You can always change again.
Unless you're removing the wheels yourself...a tire change can be expensive even with a cheap tire. If removing the wheels yourself...the experience can be something ....less than a fun afternoon!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 12:24:41 AM »
I love the 'winter' tire for a scooter!! It must be a European (or global?) thing? We all know americans don't ride scooters, especially in the winter!  ;D

(I'm with the others, I like the siping..I run winter tires on my cars and they look similar to your possible scoot tire)
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 03:01:59 AM »
I love the 'winter' tire for a scooter!! It must be a European (or global?) thing? We all know americans don't ride scooters, especially in the winter!  ;D

(I'm with the others, I like the siping..I run winter tires on my cars and they look similar to your possible scoot tire)

I would ride my AK550 in thw winter if I could find the right tires

even block knobbys that I could stud
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 09:27:36 AM »
Well guys, thanks for all those observations.  I've asked my tyre guy if he can get the Anlas, so I'll keep you posted.  We hope to be away for the New Year so any fitting will likely be well into January now.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 02:25:37 PM »
Unless you're removing the wheels yourself...a tire change can be expensive even with a cheap tire. If removing the wheels yourself...the experience can be something ....less than a fun afternoon!
Stig
Yes, doing this wheel thing on my own, easy on a lifted scoot.
Changing a tire (rim and tire brought in) costs here at my local dealer €10,- per wheel, balancing included. Disposal in case is €2,- per tire.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2023, 03:09:42 PM »
Yes, doing this wheel thing on my own, easy on a lifted scoot.
Changing a tire (rim and tire brought in) costs here at my local dealer €10,- per wheel, balancing included. Disposal in case is €2,- per tire.

I would love to have tires mounted for those prices! (10 Euros is about $11 USD). My local shop charges shop rate labor for tires so it will cost me around $200 USD+ to get my tires mounted on my Nighthawk..and that's with me bringing the wheels to the shop. If I brough my bike there for them to do all the work it would likely add another $100 or $200.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2023, 10:29:00 AM »
I would love to have tires mounted for those prices! (10 Euros is about $11 USD). My local shop charges shop rate labor for tires so it will cost me around $200 USD+ to get my tires mounted on my Nighthawk..and that's with me bringing the wheels to the shop. If I brough my bike there for them to do all the work it would likely add another $100 or $200.

Yes we’ve had this conversation on here before Hawk. We’re very lucky here in the UK to have mobile tyre fitters who come to you! Some, like mine, do cars & motorcycles. Last time I got a Michelin City Grip 2 bought, fitted & balanced for under  £100.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2023, 11:09:18 AM »
This is pretty steep. On the other side shop hour here for mechanics is €40 + 10% VAT, in villages out even a tenner less, makes a salary for a middleclass mech about €1200,- to €1400,- a month. That's why maybe.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 11:11:22 AM by Ruffus »

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 02:41:08 PM »
It's winter, I'm UK-based and need a new rear tyre.  Considering an Anlas Winter Grip 2 replacement and wondered if anyone on here has any experience of this tyre?

https://merchandising.demon-tweeks.com/images/tr:q-80,c-at_max/media/catalog/product/a/n/anl_anl-wintergrip2-tyre-rear-jan23_129.jpg

UPDATE:  Ordered the Anlas last week and it arrived Monday.  Total £80.25 with free shipping.  My tyre guy came out this lunchtime and fitted it for me charging £45 including disposing of the old tyre carcass.  Pretty pleased with that as I consider both prices to be fair.  Review and photos of the fitted Anlas to follow when it warms up a bit out there!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2024, 01:14:20 AM »
UPDATE:  Ordered the Anlas last week and it arrived Monday.  Total £80.25 with free shipping.  My tyre guy came out this lunchtime and fitted it for me charging £45 including disposing of the old tyre carcass.  Pretty pleased with that as I consider both prices to be fair.  Review and photos of the fitted Anlas to follow when it warms up a bit out there!
You had one winter tire installed?...
On the rear?
....or a pair?
Your price figures are surely for one tire?!
And you paid 45 for a new tire installed ON  the machine!??
That price is amazing!
My dealer gets an hour per wheel off..$120 per hour.
Then R&R the tires  maybe $35 each. Then disposal fee, shop towels used, cotter pins, nitrogen inflation,  2 or 3 Donuts, lift fees, valve stems, caps for same, document fees, call-back charges...then there's the gratuity for the kid who rips your new valve stem.
For me, it's a toss-up...get new tires, or buy a new scooter.
Stig

Pix or it never etc.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 01:17:29 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2024, 09:26:59 AM »
You had one winter tire installed?...  Yes!
On the rear?
....or a pair?
Your price figures are surely for one tire?!  -  Yes
And you paid 45 for a new tire installed ON  the machine!??  -  Yes
That price is amazing! - Knowing US prices, I agree!
My dealer gets an hour per wheel off..$120 per hour.
Then R&R the tires  maybe $35 each. Then disposal fee, shop towels used, cotter pins, nitrogen inflation,  2 or 3 Donuts, lift fees, valve stems, caps for same, document fees, call-back charges...then there's the gratuity for the kid who rips your new valve stem.
For me, it's a toss-up...get new tires, or buy a new scooter.  - Lol
Stig

Pix or it never etc.

See my observations above in italic bold.

I did some research before opting for the one winter tyre only.  It's the compound that's classed as cold weather, no studs or 'owt like that.  It is (I'm told) fully compatible with the front.

I know pictures are needed and I'll maybe roll the scoot out later today or if not, then certainly next week.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()