Author Topic: Malossi torque spring colors and ratings  (Read 19464 times)

acrab78

• View Profile
Re: Malossi torque spring colors and ratings
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 10:28:42 PM »
My belt is about brand new. I bought my scoot with 788 km on it than started playing with it.
Now have about 1300 km on it and the belt still looks about brand new.
Not getting bad performance at all its just pretty hilly around here.
Been looking to not drop to 30 mph and sometimes below on the hills.
Feels like other than the bbk etc I am about maxed out.

No worries still enjoy the scoot and am only out about a thousand dollars total so far.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 11:02:40 PM »
Well another update since the green spring didn't seem to change anything put the 5g rollers in
instead of the 6g rollers I have been using.... Honestly can't tell a difference. Gonna try the yellow torque spring next.

Honestly it's starting to seem like it's maxed out for the 50cc engine.

Already thinking about a bigger scooter. Have been looking at the piaggio fly 150 and buddy 170I.

Still love my little a50 just thinking aloud.  :P

I would go for the gusto, and add either the Malossi blue or (extreme) red. That is the same method I used in getting my collection of springs. Trial/error
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 11:35:24 PM »
Not sure of the Malossi colours but i do know the 2000rpm rated spring i tried in mine did not work well at all. I actually lost speed up hills with it on ANY roller weight i tried  :-\

Our little 4t engines do not have enough power to run the 2000rpm spring imo.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2012, 01:42:51 AM »
You do need heavy rollers to open a red spring or more rpm. I don't think i is a good set up tho.  Not on a stock engine.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

acrab78

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 02:56:38 AM »
Yeah I still have a hocca 1500 yellow spring that I will try even though last time I tried
it it sucked for me. But I didn't have my multavar or New clutch setup then either.....

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 09:36:44 AM »
On my bathroom scale, both the stock and the Malossi white that came with the multivar were 30kg to fully compress. :)

It was said that it were a 50cc 4-stroke and not a race bike, which is right, but it doesn't mean that it cant become a race bike.
If a 50cc race bike were wanted, you should change the clutch springs so it gets traction as close to the max torque as possible. Also, you would want to tune the exhaust and intake (info about that here) and you would like to get 4 valves instead of 2 and a CDI without restrictions.

But i sense that you just want to get it to ride good, and then these changes wouldn't be very economical or practical. ;)

Anyway, back to the vario tuning:
With 6,2g rollers and the stock spring, the accelleration happened at 7200 rpm for me, but with 7g dr. pulley sliders, the rpm were at 7450 during accelleration, which is a little high for my taste, as it is over the max torque according to the manual, and it lead to slower accelleration.
I will try 8g Dr. Pulley some time soon, to see if i can get the rpm closer to 7000 during accelleration. :D
The torque springs have 2 purposes:
1) To keep the belt tightened during accelleration.
2) To force the gearing down, when the throttle is closed and there are no longer enough torque to keep the gearing high.

For the tuning part of the torque spring, we mainly focus on the second purpose, as rpm can be kept high during decelleration, if the gearing is forced down very fast, but a stiffer torque spring also have disadvantages, when our engine are so weak from stock.
To accellerate, the engine will have to generate torque higher than what the air- and rolling resistance, the weight of the bike and driver and the torque spring does against the engine, and as you could imagine, a stiffer torque spring will remove more torque from the engine and therefore reduce the overall output of the torque on the rear wheel. Normally, we say that the vario transmission have a 10% torque loss, but with a stiffer spring, this might be alot higher and you will get slower accelleration and less top speed if you haven't increased the torque output at the crankshaft aswell. :p
It also hurts the fuel economy, as you will need to turn the throttle more to get the same amount of torque at the rear wheel and because it keeps the rpm high during decelleration.
The high rpm are what is wanted at race engines, as they almost never hit top speed because of the many turns on a closed track. :)

Where the effectband lies also depends on the exhaust and intake system, so with the different manifold and exhaust, the effectband might have been shifted a little for me, as it seems that it has faster accelleration at 7450 rpm with the carb and 16mm intake manifold than it has with the 24mm throttle body and manifold that came with the injection, but this might be partially caused by a wrong mixture with the injection at the moment. :)
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2012, 09:56:13 AM »
Nice Baddi. I would tend to agree on your Rpm ratings, mine currently sits around 6700-7200 on acceleration and that gives the best acceleration for me straight thro from 0-40mph, slightly dies off once i hit 40 but i can live with that cos the 0-40mph acceleration more than makes it worth it for me since most of my riding is town and city riding.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()