Author Topic: STIG- new parts SOLVED~!  (Read 35080 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
STIG- new parts SOLVED~!
« on: August 10, 2014, 12:47:40 AM »
Today I put in the new fuel injector - and new coil with new plug lead and cap, and new stock NGK spark plug, and removed the fuel pump from the tank for a look-see. Cleaned the filter as much as possible on the pick-up of the fuel pump.
Verdict: engine continues to have an intermittant stumble - starts perfectly, idles fine, accelerates fine, nearly full throttle fine, full throttle fine. Does not like to cruise at lower 20's and stumbles sometimes into the 30's and 40's. Some 1/2 hr rides it stumbles only once or twice.  Other rides it can cut-out alarmingly in traffic.
Next up is an email to Kymco regarding the scoot's issues, and a conversation with my salesman. I will ask him to keep the scooter for a time & take a few short trial rides under 25mph until the stumble shows itself. The scooter is under warranty for 9 more months.
FYI - the tank looked very clean.

Stig
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:15:53 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
Re: STIG- new parts report
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 03:17:21 AM »
Do these have a MAF mass air flow sensor on the air intake? If so I wonder if a cleaning of the sensor wire could help. Just an idea.................

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 03:44:18 AM »
It uses map so no maf to clean. STIG, you should really get a fuel pressure tester and set it up so you can read it while riding. I know I sound like a broken record, but the fuel pump is a suspect IMHO. 
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 10:30:14 AM »
It uses map so no maf to clean. STIG, you should really get a fuel pressure tester and set it up so you can read it while riding. I know I sound like a broken record, but the fuel pump is a suspect IMHO. 
Thanks, I'm listening! :-)
At Tim H. having a cup of joe on their patio....looking at my Forza, reading all suggestions for the Like. Going to be a nice sunrise by the looks of it!
A question, could a check of the pump with a multimeter tell me I have a problem with the  pump, or must I test the flow pressure actual?
Wearing my new Sliders jeans ( an unfortunate name, but sells them , I guess)
Still no CELP codes coming up.
$200 in parts and (dealer) labor so far.
Manual says no serviceable parts in a fuel pump...just pop a new $200 one in there.
Going to check my warranty, electrical parts covered only part of the two years
. To remind you more advanced mechanics (,than me...) this cutting out/stumbling started one morning one hour into my ride....felt something strange while cruising less than 25mph thru state park.  .then the big time bucking and cutting put...went straigkt home. Has been intermittently an isuue for weeks now. Something quit working properly at that time.
I'm a carpenter, not a scooter mechanic....trying to suss this out....
Ride safe,
Stig
PS, can this pump be rebuilt by an electrical shop? Or swapped out for another scoot/bike part? The pump just clips in to the holder...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:34:42 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

200i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 01:58:01 PM »
Stig,
Thanks for keeping us updated!  Sorry you're having trouble finding the problem.  From a non mechanic view..I think it's the fuel pump.  It would almost have to be, everything else is new:) 

I'm still angry at your dealer...they should have tried harder!!!   I"ll give great pause before buying another Taiwan/Chinese scooter for this very concept.

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 05:22:05 PM »
Something quit working properly
Segmenting the discussion of this issue in several threads definitely complicates finding a solution!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 06:07:46 PM »
Folks...
What about fitting a 12V fuel pump - which seem to be avail. from several sources for motorcyles and 4 wheelers? Those characterised as suitable for EFI?
Any ideas what type pressure values I'd need.
I ask, because there are several avail for @$35 - and resemble the cylinder shape of my pump.
$200 for the Kymco pump.
$100 to have my dealer take another shot.
@ $35 for a tester.
I'm a big guy - I can (and do) take shots from various forum referees - but, you know, it's too nice a day and I ride scooters - so I'm a pretty easy fellow and you wouldn't believe how often I laugh at myself.
Here's the punch line to my favorite joke: "Because Skeeter ain't never seen a wreck like we're fixin' to have!"
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 07:54:11 PM »
Fuel pressure your looking to get about 43psi with a +/- of about 5psi. I would honestly stick to the Kymco pump, other options you might run into fuel leaks or other odd issues. Take out the oem pump and see if you can find non-Kymco markings anywhere on it, possibly find it from another source that way. A fuel pressure tester will help you on other projects in the future and should work for: Honda scooters, cars, any other EFI bike you get in the future. Good thing to have in the tool box. I would loan you the shop one but with my luck would need it the day I send it out.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

200i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 08:03:15 PM »
If one could buy the Kymko fuel pump and return it if it didn't help.  Even with a restocking fee it might be the easiest "next thing" and hopefully the last:)   It'sjustathought... 

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 08:05:03 PM »
Most sites will charge up to a %25 re-stocking fee making that hardly worth even returning.

200i

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 08:30:16 PM »
Yeah I guess, but  200-50=150 in my pocket or 200-0=0 ...for each his own though.  Anybody would have an extra if they kept it, but I seldom use "extra" parts.

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 12:00:23 AM »
Being as your scoots still under warranty, and the mechanic at your shop can't figure it out. At some point shouldn't Kymco be responsible for replacing it with a new one?

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 05:49:33 AM »
Being as your scoots still under warranty, and the mechanic at your shop can't figure it out. At some point shouldn't Kymco be responsible for replacing it with a new one?

My thoughts exactly. Your warranty is still valid. Contact Kymco USA and demand your right to the warranty. Don't let the dealer or Kymco talk their way out of it. You purchased under good faith. I'll get off my soapbox now. Just hate knowing a fellow Like owner isn't getting the service he is entitled to.

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 08:32:40 PM »
Stig, are you paying for these parts out of pocket? You're still under warranty. And in your other post you said the dealer attributes this to a weakening fuel pump and the injector... WTF wouldn't you have him replace this under your warranty then????

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 11:40:18 PM »
Stig, are you paying for these parts out of pocket? You're still under warranty. And in your other post you said the dealer attributes this to a weakening fuel pump and the injector... WTF wouldn't you have him replace this under your warranty then????
Dear Dole...
OK, let's go over here and have a sit down in the shade.
I spoke with a respected scooter dealer/owner/mechanic in southern California about my LIKE's problem.
 He said his LIKE is doing something very similar - stumbling at 20-30MPH. He attributes this to the rather small injector and fuel pump which these scoots were born with. His point is they might almost be too small to begin with - and may now be showing their age with intermittent driveability symptoms. He factored in that it is under 200cc's and is aircooled and has EFI. I don't know what that means. It seemed significant to him.

MY dealer found NO driveability issues. I paid  $57 for their 1/2hr test ride. I'm pretty sure that even though I explained in detail - how, when and what it was doing, and that I had 7000 miles experience with the scooter to back up my statement that it was cutting out in traffic repeatedly, and that it was on its 4th tank of gas from a different station, and that Techron and SeaFoam had already been tried and that I was now walking and riding the city bus because I had to park the scooter - He wrote down this: "Runs bad."
He gave it to his runner - he drove it through the stumbles at 25MPH with a lot of throttle. and brought it back with "no problems".
Service managers should be the world's best listeners - but too many of them are not. Sadly.

We all know the frustration of having an issue with a car - and the mechanic can't replicate it. So he gives it back to you and it acts up on the way home. It's not a commie plot. Just life with a simple machine and a lousy listener for a mechanic..
Putting in a fuel pump.
If that doesn't work - I'll take it back and ask my salesman (the owner's son) to ask them to try short, slower test rides. If that doesn't work then we'll call Mrs. Kymco in Taiwan and book an appointment. Things will get exciting then.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()