Author Topic: electricity problems in kymco Agility 125  (Read 19343 times)

onceinalife

• View Profile
electricity problems in kymco Agility 125
« on: June 19, 2012, 11:33:57 PM »
Hello
I have a Kymco agility 125 (year 2007, country: France) and I experience the following problems:
too often, lately, all bulbs burn out: especially the headlight (last one didn't last the day..) but also the medium light or rear light.
(The winkers and the break light are still ok )
At the garage they've changed recently the battery (which they suspected to be unstable, but I don't think so) and the regulator located behind the headlight (which itself burned out already 2 times).
That didn't solve the problem.
I also verified the fuses and the ground connection.
The garage told me that their knowledge doesn't go further then that (or in another words: get out of here, we are not ready to spend more time on your scooter)

Any ideas that help me ?
(It’s already a month that I use the scooter only during daylight...)

Thanks in advance
Amir

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: electricity problems in kymco Agility 125
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 11:50:04 PM »
What is the voltage reading at HIGH idle, and at normal idle? Test this at the battery, and at the suspect lights.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

onceinalife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 01:56:36 PM »
Hello
Here are my voltage readings results.

On the battery:
Engine off: 13v
Engine on- lights on - minimum idle : 14.1v
Engine on – lights on -  high idle: 14.6v

On the headlight – engine on -  lights on:
Min idle: 9.5v
High idle: 11.6v
(Readings on low or high light are practically the same)

I installed all new bulbs (head light, small front light, rear/brake light), they didn’t burned out during the test.
P.S.: just to be sure: the voltmeter is set on DC when reading the battery, and on AC when reading the headlamp

Thanks in advance
Amir

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 08:33:02 PM »
Your voltages are within what I would expect to see. The AC side looked low but that is because it should be x10. There is no reason for them to blow at those voltages. Double check all your grounds on the scoot to be sure you are not getting some sort of "spike" from a loose ground.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

onceinalife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 09:37:14 PM »
Hello Zombie
Once again I thank you for your quick response.
Regarding the ground connections:
I followed the green wire which connects to the battery.
It is connected to the frame (together with another wire) on the right side of the scooter not far from the motor.
The connection was well tightened.
Nevertheless, I disconnected it, grinded the black color on the place in order to expose the nude metal, and retightened it again.
I haven’t used the scooter since, so I can’t tell if it solved the problem.

Are there other ground points to check ?
 If yes, can you precise their location on the frame ?

Thanks
Amir

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 11:06:28 PM »
The voltage rectifier/regulator is under the front cowl, and it is very important for a good ground there. Every thing else is in connectors. You could clean up as many as you can get to.

onceinalife

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 04:11:59 PM »
Hello Zombie
I looked at the regulator situated near the horn (pic attached).
There is a bundle of wires connecting to it by a connector, but I could not locate the ground.
Or maybe the bolt and nut that serve to attach the regulator to the frame serve also as ground ?
(if this is the case, will it be usefull to grind the paint in the place, to allow better contact ?)

thanks again
Amir

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 01:03:21 AM »
Yes the case is the ground. I had one burn up because it was loose.

onceinalife

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 05:33:24 PM »
Well, the bulbs lasted for about 3 weeks (without too much riding) and burned again.
To resume the situation:
Regulator and battery were changed recently, ground connections were verified, voltage seems to be normal, but still bulbs (head and back) burn very often.

Any other ideas that may help ?
Is there any official Kymco service that may answer my questions ?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 07:20:26 AM »
http://www.kymco.com/product/list.asp?Category=scooter   They never help but maybe???
I am as puzzled as you. There is a resistor that controls the 12v out but your lights are AC so that is moot. You have to have a bad stator that is heating, and spiking the AC voltage. It is the only reason I have. Maybe you can find one on ebay from a parted out bike to test! Other wise use your meater, and ride the scoot looking for spikes as it warms up.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 02:48:44 AM »
There are other reasons why headlight burns like when you touch/hold the glass part while replacing them. Holding the glass makes your fingerprints stick, fingerprints are oil, when heat builds up the fingerprint turns into carbon-charcoal kind of stuff and heats up hotter than the bulb itself and poof! glass breaks...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 04:48:04 AM »
100% correct. That is most likely the issue. Use tissue to handle the bulb. Never let skin touch it or it is doomed to a short life.
Great call Vivo!

onceinalife

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »
I do use a paper tissue when replacing bulbs,
So this is not the problem.
The fact that the front and rear light burned out on the same day makes me still think that it is electricity irregularity.
(I also contacted Kymco (using their contact form on their website) I let you know if any news)

Thanks for your answers
Amir

kymcoco

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 07:16:31 PM »
Hello onceinalife,
how did you finally resolve the problem??
I'm a foreigner in France (06), electric problems on Kymco 125 Agility 2008, and I face more/less the same unfair attitude from a garage - after they had changed the battery and stator (that's what they are saying) and nothing has been resolved, they "give up" (i.e. Get out, we won't spend more time on it .. ). Thiefs.
Anyway, I'd like to know whether you have found out what caused the problem on your scooter.
Thanks, Regards.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 07:21:44 PM by kymcoco »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2015, 08:21:48 PM »
That thread is over three years old! Bet he does not respond. This attitude by the shops must be a french thing! OK, I read the thread and I was leaning toward stator until yours and you said they replaced the stator. Hmmm. I am out on a limb here since I have no direct experience with the 125 but the stator is the thing that supplies power to EVERYTHING on the bike. Now, I think I have heard that one output goes to the headlight and is AC or no rectifier, another goes to the battery and the rest of the electrical system and the third is what goes to the CDI for spark. With the basics out of the way, the symptoms are burning out nearly everything leads to think way too much voltage. I would look for a bad ground that is common between the headlight coil and the battery & everything else coil. That would nearly double the volts to nearly everything on the machine. YOU are gonna have to find this YOURSELF. This is going to take some time because YOU are going to have to find every grounding point on that thing and make sure every wire and terminal lug is clean and the lug is actually making contact with both the wire and the frame. Wire brush the rust off the grounding stud and smear contact grease on all lugs and the stud when reconnecting. Make sure all components are good before you re-install everything. Let us know at every stage what you find.

Karl 
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()