Author Topic: UBS (United Braking System) and high speed?  (Read 1860 times)

AaronPDX

• View Profile
UBS (United Braking System) and high speed?
« on: July 06, 2015, 08:05:58 PM »
Hi all. My first post here, as a new Grand Vista 250 (2008) owner. Formerly had a People 150.

First off, great forum; thanks!

Does anyone have advice on how to use the brakes? The manual says "apply right lever will cause the scooter to slip during riding at high speed." Does that mean I should only use the left lever at high speeds, since it apparently "will actuate UBS that brake both front and rear wheel" ?

And I assume 'high speeds' means anything over 45 mph?

Thanks in advance...
Aaron
People 150 (sold)
2008 white Grand Vista 250

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: UBS (United Braking System) and high speed?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 08:32:04 PM »
Hi Aaron, a fellow Portland-er!!!!! I'm not too sure what you mean by UBS, never heard that before. They just mean in the manual (that is poorly translated from Chinese/Taiwanese) don't lock your brakes up while traveling down the road. The Grand Vista is pretty heavy so it's not too easy to lock up the brakes unless you are on gravel or wet surface. PS I work full time at Columbia Scooters and we have a good supply of parts for the 250, and can help you out with any problems in the future. Enjoy the heat out!!!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 05:35:21 AM »
Hi Carter! I know you from previous service to my 2006 burgundy People 150. Glad to see you here, and a Hero Member no less! Actually you were the one who recommended I look into the GV for a better ergonomic fit. So I bought it via Craigslist from original owner who got it from you guys. It is a more comfortable ride, though I'm still getting used to smaller wheels... I felt a bit safer on the People!

UBS is the term used in the manual. I figured they were talking about brakes locking up; I just wondered if I had to avoid applying both brakes at high speeds, and instead favor the left?  Anyway, good to hear it's not too easy to lock them.

I am experiencing a couple issues so far: high noise at above 35 mph, probably made worse by a partial-face helmet; and the seat not releasing sometimes. Is that 2nd one a known issue? I'm not sure what the fix is.

Cheers!
People 150 (sold)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 02:57:56 PM »
Good to hear!!! You'll get used to the wheel size, just takes a little time. The noise most likely is the windshield, it makes for a lot of noise especially without a full face helmet. Try tucking behind it and you can hear other noises maybe if its coming from the engine or anything else. With the seat latch that's most likely just an adjustment. You have to take off the seat bucket and on the left side there is an adjuster that looks just like your throttle free play adjuster. Grease the seat latch while you have the seat out too.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 12:19:20 AM »
Thanks Carter. I'm not sure how to remove the seat, any tips? Now it only opens if I push down the back while turning the key. If no pressure's on it, it won't open.
People 150 (sold)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 12:48:29 AM »
Thanks Carter. I'm not sure how to remove the seat, any tips? Now it only opens if I push down the back while turning the key. If no pressure's on it, it won't open.

Seat comes off easy, 4 silver "cap nuts" hold it down. Snake out the 12v plug and seat light and the whole thing lifts right out. Two are in the front under the carpet thingy.

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 05:22:46 AM »
Cool, thanks again! Will give it a look...

Aaron
People 150 (sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()