Author Topic: If your seat switch isn't here - it's dumb!  (Read 485 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
If your seat switch isn't here - it's dumb!
« on: March 08, 2019, 02:40:25 AM »
All scooters should have the seat opening switch as close to that latching mechanism at the rear of the seat as possible.

Why do so many scooter manufacturers insist on putting the seat opening mechanism miles from the seat latch, on a lengthy cable that runs from the front to the rear of the scooter! Far too many things can and do, go wrong with this system.

I rarely want to reach forward to the handlebars and operate the clever vanity seat switch while I'm in the saddle!

Kymco puts the key lock for the seat opener on the side panel of their LIKE scooters. (white arrow)
But, really clever scoots would have you put the key directly into the seat latch!

Stig
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:44:13 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

stuo

• View Profile
Re: If your seat switch isn't here - it's dumb!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:13:40 PM »
Amen to that, Stig. On the Downtown they installed two latches, one on each side of the seat, on that one long cable and caused problems for us because both latches must be adjusted exactly the same or they both won't open; the tight one that opens prevents the looser one to unlatch.

Why two latches? Maybe to satisfy the aesthetics of some young designer with little real world experience.
2009 GV 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 01:37:38 AM »
They had an overstock of seat latches? Maybe designed by the same guy who put the met-in light at the BOTTOM of the tub!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 08:14:01 AM »
The seat latch on my Suzuki was quite cool - it was the ignition switch. If you turned the key anti clockwise instead of clockwise, the latch pinged.

The cable length doesn't bother me, as the point of failure tends to be the nipple at either end, rather than halfway down the cable, so I feel it's fairly immaterial.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()