Author Topic: People GTi Upgrade  (Read 6040 times)

agilebda

• View Profile
People GTi Upgrade
« on: May 15, 2012, 02:18:29 AM »
Hello everyone. Got a question for you. I have a People GTi 125cc. I want to know if the GTi 200cc cylinder and head is a direct fit on for an upgrade.

Thanks
Anthoni

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: People GTi Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 02:24:22 AM »
Go to Stadium Yamaha, and look up both bikes. Check the connecting rod/crank/engine cases. As long as these parts are the same part numbers the jugs will interchange. You may have to monkey around with a pipe but that is easy enough.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 12:58:30 AM »
I actually did a comparison from this website.
http://www.kymco.com/event/2010_PeopleGTi/#/specifications/
The stroke is different. Does this mean that the 200 cylinder and head will not fit on the 125?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:02:42 AM by agilebda »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 04:25:16 AM »
It means you have to swap the crank set. Otherwise you will never get the compression, and have less cc's than you started with. If the cases are the same the just swap cranks/jugs. It would be a Very rewarding build. AND stable!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 12:33:24 PM »
Thanks Zombie,

I will give it a try. It really sounds like it's going to be a beast of a scooter.

If I want to upgrade to a 300cc later, do I swap the crank again as well?

Thanks,
Toni

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:48:30 AM »
Match up the part numbers... I posted on another thread about the expected power gains... There will not be much but the home brewed aspect is what I find attractive.
For efficiency's sake you could always try some Internet searching for a Bike salvage yard, and just swap engines... But the home brew is still sweet.

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 11:54:37 PM »
Match up the part numbers... I posted on another thread about the expected power gains... There will not be much but the home brewed aspect is what I find attractive.
For efficiency's sake you could always try some Internet searching for a Bike salvage yard, and just swap engines... But the home brew is still sweet.

Hey Zombie. Thanks for the information. I was told by a mechanic that I may need new casings being that a bigger crank is installed. What are your thoughts?
I tried looking for this bike on stadium yamaha to compare part numbers but no luck finding this particular model.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 04:06:55 AM »
One more thing to consider is the fuel controller. It is set for your engine. You need to have program access to re map or another form of fuel control. Looking up all the part numbers is the only sure way to know. If both engines have the same stroke then the crank is a non issue. Even if they differ they may still fit. You have to look it all up to know. Try the basic kymco global site. They usually list engine specs. I think...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 02:17:42 AM »
Hello Zombie. Thanks for the info. I have decided to change the crank, cylinder, head, cam to upgrade to a stock 300cc GTI. How do I go about ordering these parts?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 04:11:59 AM »
Where are you located? We all have several suppliers we use so region is important to getting the best service. That sounds like a great build. Keep letting us know how it progresses.
I remember you said something about a larger crank... That is the biggest hurdle you may have. Machining MAY be needed to stuff the new bits in. The best idea is to get mechanical drawings, or someone with access to the parts to see if it is physically possible. I'd hate to see all your new parts wind up in the for sale threads

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 03:03:44 AM »
Zombie, I am located in the island of Bermuda. Have been talking to the Kymco dealer but not much info offered on my upgrade. I am basically the first person to perform the conversion. I really need to know if the 125cc crank will be okay for the 300 upgrade of do I need to swap the cranks? And like you said, I may need machining work done. How do I find out this information??.......I really don't know.
Hopefully someone on this forum will have an answer before I order any parts. If this don't work, I will be willing to drop to a 200 upgrade.

Thanks,
Agilebda
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 03:09:19 AM by agilebda »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 11:53:11 PM »
I would begin with finding the crank/bearing dimensions of your engine. Then the numbers for the bearings/crank of the parts you want to use. Same for the cylinders. They may be too big at the base or different stud patterns.
I THINK an easier approach would be stroking your set up as is. You could easily swap the con rod, and shim the cylinder to gain 20 or so cc's. The timing chain would need to be lengthened and the Exh. pipe tweaked to fit, but all else should be the same.
What you really need is Mechanical drawings to compare before shooting for the moon. Perhaps a shop that does Kymco rebuilds... Maybe Kymco Global can provide them? Or try looking for some junk yard engines to compare. There are dozens of ways to up the cc's it all comes down to what it is worth to you. Adding material via welding. Removing by milling/boring. You need numbers more than anything else.

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 03:08:07 AM »
Thanks for the info Zombie. I talked to the Kymco dealer today and also a well know mechanic/racer in the area and decided to buy a whole 200cc or 300cc engine and swap them on the frame. Eliminates all doubt. Thanks again for the info and will keep you posted on this project.
How much do you think I am looking at for an engine?
Agilebda

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 04:43:11 AM »
http://www.chinese-parts-canada.com/new_motors.html
There's a site to drool over. Every engine you would ever need.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()