Author Topic: Roller Change?  (Read 4142 times)

agilebda

• View Profile
Roller Change?
« on: June 20, 2015, 06:29:25 PM »
Hello guys. How do I know when my variator rollers need changing? I am losing power on the low end and the bike does not get up to 60 as fast as it used to.

beermak

• View Profile
Re: Roller Change?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 07:07:35 PM »
Seems more a belt issue. Check the width... if rollers where worn is more the rattle uneven accel...but checking both is a good idea.

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 07:35:12 PM »
Hello guys. How do I know when my variator rollers need changing? I am losing power on the low end and the bike does not get up to 60 as fast as it used to.

I was thinking the same thing. My belt has not been changed for 5 years. I will be checking this first.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
Sounds like
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 08:20:36 PM »
It is time for a roller and belt change.
Need to change mine soon.
I am going with Dr pulley and a new belt.

Update: installed new belt, new air filter, new variator nut, de glazed clutch pads, and 14 g dr pulley sliders yesterday 7-4-15.
Have done two short test runs but, have not had enough time in the saddle to fully asses.

Update: Assesment on 14g Dr Pulley sliders. 9/5/15.
I purposely waited on a special run to assess the difference between DP sliders and stock rollers in my GT.
There is a particular place in the mountains where the flat spot in the power band really showed itself. It is a steep curve about 180 degrees where I had to go very slow to make the curve safely. Then up a 40 degree hill.
Yesterday I ran the gauntlet to compare.
My finding was, the flat spot in the power band IS still there running the DP sliders. But it was less pronounced. Considerably less.
Acceleration from a rolling start to 50 is faster and smooth.
I did not check top end because 99% of my riding is 65 mph and under.
My personal observation and conclusion on the change from OEM rollers to DP sliders is: There is an improvement in acceleration at normal riding speeds but, not mind blowing. It is noticeable but, slight.
The performance with stock rollers in the GT was good. DP, slightly better.
The DP sliders are supposed to wear better and longer. Cannot attest to that as my switch was recent.
I will say, I plan on checking sliders and belt at 10,000 mile intervals because of dirt inside the belt housing, belt wear, and noticeable glazing on my clutch pads at 10,300 miles.
The GT runs damn good with either stock rollers or DP sliders.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 03:21:47 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Sounds like
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 01:46:35 PM »
It is time for a roller and belt change.
Need to change mine soon.
I am going with Dr pulley and a new belt.

I agree! Suggest you try 14G Dr Pulley sliders. I think you will be satisfied with the results.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable.

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

agilebda

• View Profile
Re: Sounds like
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 03:44:18 AM »

I agree! Suggest you try 14G Dr Pulley sliders. I think you will be satisfied with the results.

Thanks guys. I actually have a set of 15G Dr Pulleys and a brand new belt. I will change them tomorrow. My belt has never been changed. Been about 4 years now.

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 11:31:47 AM »
Use a lot of brake cleaner... clean it as much as possible dont forget. Good luck

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 03:46:53 AM »
Thanks guys, replaced the belt and installed 15G Dr Pulleys. Runs like a charm again. I also used the white spring to see if there is any difference in performance. Nothing different from the OEM spring.

Thanks again.

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 05:29:41 PM »
 I've actually come to the conclusion that the stock OEM rollers provide more top end than the Dr Pulley 15g sliders.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 06:43:13 PM »

top end? ,   when you go to dr. pulley sliders go 1 to 1/2 gram lighter, than 15 1/2 gram  that will get you into the power rpm for top speed,  that is why your top speed is lower with 15 gram sliders ,.  14 gram seems to work better for top speed,. so get your scales and a belt sander out, touch them on the side very lightly and Wt. them often ,. take 1/2 gram off at a time till you are happy with your speed,  not that you run very often at 95 mph.  last week I past a car on a down hill and hit 97 mph, with out trying for a high speed run,.  2011 downtown 300i 60,000 km. so far,. 

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 07:40:01 PM »
Thanks Dee Dee.

So you are saying that the 14g sliders are better for top end? I thought that the heavier in gram, it provides more torque and speed on the top end.
I have a set of 14's that I will try and compare.
Thanks for the info. I learn something new everyday.

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 10:38:41 PM »
Thanks Dee Dee.

So you are saying that the 14g sliders are better for top end? I thought that the heavier in gram, it provides more torque and speed on the top end.
I have a set of 14's that I will try and compare.
Thanks for the info. I learn something new everyday.

I'm running 14's in mine and I'm happy with them.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable.

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 12:32:43 AM »
Mrmike,

Does it take a slight bit longer to reach lets say 70 mph compared to the stock OEM for you?

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 01:49:12 AM »
Mrmike,

Does it take a slight bit longer to reach lets say 70 mph compared to the stock OEM for you?

To be honest with you, I only had 550 miles on the scoot when I installed the sliders. I read several other posts about them, and had already put lighter rollers in my previous 150 with good results. I'm very pleased with the performance, but really can't compare to stock. Check through the forum, and you will find more definitive answers.

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 02:32:23 PM »
I found the power and top end issue. It was a leaky exhaust o-ring gasket.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:43:14 PM by agilebda »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()