Author Topic: Starter Solenoid switch  (Read 2655 times)

sdent

• View Profile
Starter Solenoid switch
« on: May 14, 2016, 04:18:25 PM »
Greetings all , I'm new to this forum pls 4give me if I'm to chatty,  I recently replaced starter solenoid in 2010 GV 250 and scooter started fine no more battery  sticking or attempting to start w/o key.  However the speed seems slower on take off and mid range ...any suggestions??

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Starter Solenoid switch
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 09:31:56 PM »
Does this mean the take-off and midrange speeds are different than before you replaced the relay/solenoid?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 07:08:02 AM »
It does not make sense that the solenoid can cause these described symptoms.
That is tranny related. Rollers worn?
I suggest looking there.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

sdent

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 04:25:54 PM »
ok thanks, yes speed was fine  before, all though it has been sitting through winter, maybe bad gas or something..

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 04:05:04 AM »
I see on the USA forums, lots of talk of a product called seafoam ,  to sort out injector problems.
Give that  a try.
I am assuming 2010 is EFI.
Carb model, clean that carb.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

newby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 05:12:30 PM »
Sdent,
I am having a similar problem. Twice now while I was riding I first noticed a hissing sound, like a cut vacuum hose. The second time i was got home before further symptkms occurred, but both time as soon as i cut off the key, the starter engaged, and i had to disconnect the battery. The first timeit happened i was a long way from home and tried to get home. But it started to lose power so i pulled off immediately and as soon as i turned it off, the starter engaged. That time i towed it to the repair shop, but by the time i got it there, they said it was working fine and they could find no problem. Is this a close proximity to what yours did? Sure could use some help before i tow it to the shop again and pay for another hour af labor only to have the SAME problem occur again! This could turn into a very expensive continual loop! UGH!

newby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 05:25:16 PM »
Also Sdent, from what i have read and now experienced, this is a recurring problem.  So although it is not doing it now, I wouldnt consider the problem completely solved until you've ridden it for 6 months or so. Based on other people's accounts of this same problem on this very forum, this either totally confounds MANY mechanics or they fix something, believing it was the cause, only to have the same problem again later. Sadly, as far as I know, NO ONE can explain it definitively, perhaps because there is more than one cause?

tastroman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 12:52:22 AM »
 Replacing the battery with a fresh battery fixed mine when the starter was sticking. It's been 3 years and has not happened since.

newby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 04:06:20 AM »
The first time it happened, i was 10+ miles from home but only a mile from an auto part store. Hoping for a quick fix, i walked to the auto part store and bought a good battery. But as soon as i hooked it up the starter engaged. Its only been 6 weeks and it just happened again with a very good almost brand new battery. And this time i made it home before the battery was destroyed and its still fine.

newby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 02:57:23 PM »
Ok heres an update for anyone else  experiencing this same problem with their GV. BETTIN AND LOSIN, among others,  insisted the problem was the solenoid. B&L was kind enough to send me his for free with the mirrors I purchased from him. So when it came I changed it ouf and the problem persisted. So I contacted the guy who sold it to me. He, too, suggested the solenoid, but I told him I'd just replaced it. So he said he'd come over after work and take a look at it. (Nice guy, right?) After a brief general electrical inspection revealed no problems, he hooked it up and the starter engaged. So he disconnected the connection coming off the solenoid and tried it again. This stopped the starter from engaging. So, he said, that means the problem is on the other side. With the battery disconnected agsin, he reconnected the connector and began running his hand from the other lead off the solenoid going back toward the battery, looking for frayed wires that may be grounding the circuit. The first thing he came to was a sleeve with two connectors in it. He disconnected and inspected them, and apparently happy with their condition, reconnected them. He continued running his hand along those wires back to the battery, finding nothing amiss. He then reconnected the battery and it worked fine. We started and stopped it about 20 times before putting it back together, semi confident is was ok, for now, at least. (I had to get to work fast, I was already 1/2 hour late) Now I realize this problem is NOT fixed, just lurking. But I now have the tools on my bike to remove the seat as well as disconnect the battery. So if this happens again, I will have some idea of where to start looking for an easy fix. I hope this information helps one of you gurus, like B&L, to figure this thing out, for once and for all, because this has been extremely frustrating! 

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 06:18:10 PM »
Sdent,
I am having a similar problem. Twice now while I was riding I first noticed a hissing sound, like a cut vacuum hose. The second time i was got home before further symptkms occurred, but both time as soon as i cut off the key, the starter engaged, and i had to disconnect the battery. The first timeit happened i was a long way from home and tried to get home. But it started to lose power so i pulled off immediately and as soon as i turned it off, the starter engaged. That time i towed it to the repair shop, but by the time i got it there, they said it was working fine and they could find no problem. Is this a close proximity to what yours did? Sure could use some help before i tow it to the shop again and pay for another hour af labor only to have the SAME problem occur again! This could turn into a very expensive continual loop! UGH!

Deal with the real issue - fuel & possibly vacuum leaks and the scoot will run perfect the way mine does:

Carburetor Cleaning Part I   
Carburetor Cleaning Part II   
Carburetor Cleaning Part III   

Kymco Carburetor Remove & Reinstall 
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()