Author Topic: Super 9 won’t start when it’s cold out.  (Read 818 times)

GaryL

• View Profile
Super 9 won’t start when it’s cold out.
« on: March 18, 2020, 03:16:27 PM »
My son uses this scooter at college. He had lost the key last fall so we drove down and“helped” him find it. The weather was getting cooler and not being sure we would find the key (I know, we need to get a spare) I brought down  the scooter rack on the back of my truck. We did find the key and when trying to start it it wouldn’t go. So I loaded it up and brought it home. Let it sit for the winter and now trying to get it going. This is what it’s doing...
Outside with temps in the 30’s and 40’s it will not start. Brought it into my heated shop, 67 degrees. And once it warms up it starts like new. Cleaned the carb, tested the enriched/choke and seems to be operating fine. But it does only read 4.7 ohms. From what I’ve read it should read between 10 and 20. Have had it in and out of the shop and it still does the same thing.... starts in the shop and won’t start outside.
Could the enricher be the issue or something else to look for?
Appreciate any help and advice. Thanks.

Edit: Removed the carb again. Question... the small brass port in the float bowl that feeds the enricher.. is the hole the same diameter all the way through? I’m trying to pass cleaning tips through and can only get a very small one to go through. Much smaller than the hole appears on the bowl side.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:40:08 PM by GaryL »

eamartin

• View Profile
Re: Super 9 won’t start when it’s cold out.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 08:36:05 PM »
I am not familiar with that carb but....When the scooter starts, does it idle fast and then slow down on its' own to a regular idle after a few minutes?  If so, then the enricher is working like it should.  The hole for the fuel to the enricher should be quite small.  Can you see light through the hole?  I take the carb and a small bright flashlight into a dark closet to check this. 

GaryL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 05:06:19 PM »
Apparently the small port feeding into the enricher chamber of the bowl was the problem. Ran the smallest tip cleaner I had in and out about 50 times. It wouldn’t pass through to the abrasive section of the tip cleaner until several passes then I just kept scrubbing. Still couldn’t get the next size tip cleaner in so I went with it. Cleaned it all out and reassembled everything. Put it outside, let it cool off to ambient temperature, 44, and it started.  Went back out a couple more times and it started every time. So hopefully that silly gremlin has headed for the hills...lol.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 06:21:15 PM »
Hooray! Solution! You get the prize for Persistence! Stig! Tell him what is his prize!

Really good to hear! Now, YOU the current authority on that model!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()