Author Topic: I guess this makes me frugal to a fault...  (Read 3186 times)

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
I guess this makes me frugal to a fault...
« on: August 19, 2015, 07:26:26 PM »
I know many will turn their nose up at the idea of buying a used helmet; but I did.
Even though I have been fortunate in my life and can afford to buy most any toy I want, the early years of struggling do not permit me to do so comfortably. I must see value before I can move.

So it has been with longing I have looked at the Shoei & Arai helmets, never buying one.
I just can't spend $400 or more for a helmet. I read about the heightened safety, the quality feel, the quiet; but never pulled the trigger.

Ebay and "high def" photos have provided me an alternative. Browsing through helmets for sale (new) I suddenly got an impulse to filter out the low end and began looking at the ridiculous prices of some of the better lids.

Then I just fell into the idea what about pre-owned? I revised the search and was almost immediately awash in a sea of super fine helmets with almost bearable prices.

With a bit of searching (took some time, some of the folks had literally 15-20 pictures loaded to show off their hat); I found one.

A bright yellow Shoei (I think Stig had a yellow helmet sitting on his Burgman?). Black lettering and black vent on a bright yellow shell.

Full face, and a dozen really sharp photos depicting a flawless finish and a spotless interior. Looked like the box was just opened.

I then saw the asking price, $115. But the seller had also enabled the make offer button. I offered $85 and in an hour I got the email. It was mine for $102 (with shipping, via USPS Priority Mail).

A very expensive, nearly perfect Shoei in Hi-Vis Yellow for a hundred bucks. I think this is going to be a good purchase.
Papa is going to look like a Bumble-Bee on my new Black GT 300 wearing my Yellow Shoei :)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: I guess this makes me frugal to a fault...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 09:32:56 PM »
I hope it's in good shape. Do you know how old it is, or how often it's been worn? Fairly used helmets are deemed bad after five years due to the break down of the resins and liners from everything from hair oil to cosmetics.

http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aWhyReplace

-Wolf

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 10:11:54 PM »
I think it's a great idea.  I got 3 used helmets. Two are 1/2 open face helmets that came with my used scoot.  I use them like once and save them for passengers because I mainly wear a full faced helmet.  I got a used full faced expansive brand - barely used, removed and washed the liner.  It fit too tight so I sold it for $20.

I challenge anyone to to produce a single test that shows and old helmet is less effective.  I used my last helmet for over 10 years - 4K miles / yr.  Finally the liner was breaking down and flaking and getting in my eyes.  I bought a new no name flip face on amazon for $85 shipped.  It's light, has a sunglass visor to go over my prescription glasses.  I will never go back to a non-flip up helmet.

Get the facts....around 10 years ago a motorcycle magazine shamed and shocked the helmet world by conducting tests.  The result?  Some Chinese unlabeled helmets with no SNELL and DOT sticker beat a showi brand helmet costing over $600!  Most helmets are basically the same: liner, Styrofoam, plastic shell, chin strap, nothing more.  Also, 90+%? of helmets get almost no use because 90% of riders in the US only ride what 200 miles / year if that? 

Finally.... I HATE BREAKING IN NEW EQUIPMENT: I got new Gloves, helmet, jacket in the past 1.5 years.  I typically ride 6 days a week and feel new stuff takes like 6+ months to feel comfortable and broken in and keeps getting better with use.  Also, I stuff my gloves in my helmet and hang my helmet on the purse holder on my scoot.  I never lock it up because I don't want to waste the time which rules out $100+ brand name helmets which are a theft target - a friend even had the strap cut on his AGV helmet.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:20:21 PM by mrbios »
PaulC

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 11:42:02 PM »
I hope it's in good shape. Do you know how old it is, or how often it's been worn? Fairly used helmets are deemed bad after five years due to the break down of the resins and liners from everything from hair oil to cosmetics.

http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aWhyReplace

-Wolf
19 Hi Def photos with the ad, The bag and box it came in, close ups of the entire surface and interior all spotless. The seller with a substantial Ebay feedback history. Worth a shot IMO.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 03:31:21 AM »
19 Hi Def photos with the ad, The bag and box it came in, close ups of the entire surface and interior all spotless. The seller with a substantial Ebay feedback history. Worth a shot IMO.

FYI

Photos, no matter how hi def they are will not determine structural integrity nor will eBay feedback rating. Hopefully the seller has a return policy as sort of warranty you can take advantage of if the helmet doesn't meet your safety requirement. My $0.02 worth: When you receive it I would remove the liners and visually inspect the impact foamcore for cracks and other signs of failure. Check the outer shell and if all looks well hot water wash the liner (head lice is not your friend) and once dry install and go ride. If you see any signs of failure contact the buyer and keep on looking. Checkout craigslist as well. A buddy of mine buys most of his riding gear dirt cheap off craigslist.

Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 09:55:57 AM »
We have had a bad year in CT so far for both scooter and motorcycle injuries. The last at which a scooterist is in critical care for a head injury for having no helmet.

All good with me if it fits, give it a good spray down and disinfecting and it could save your life.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 04:00:19 PM »
All this lice talk is making me itchy...
I will, as many have suggested, use a liberal amount of Lysol and wait for a sure kill period before using the lid..
Photos are great but of course a real time closeup scrutiny will occur.
Note as an Ebay fellow with a huge number of positive feedbacks (for a non-commercial account) with 100% rating, I will tell you I would go the extra mile to protect my status. I will bet so will the fellow I am buying from.
The bottom line is it's a $400 (or so) helmet, delivered to my door for $100... That is sweet. I am riding almost 47 years; my head has never been inside a $400 helmet! In fact, stupidly, most of the Harley years were spent on top of 700 and 800 pound machines with upwards of 1,200 1,500 and lastly almost 1,700 cubic centimeters, wearing no helmet... So wearing a lid at all is a positive move for me. I bought a hi vis color too!

Maybe next year Ill stop wearing shorts when I ride :)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 08:57:28 PM »
Glad to hear you've been safe and fortune all these years. I'd go with the thorough washing as advised by the other posters, and a good inspection of the foam lining --that's what really matters on a helmet.

I've never been convinced that the $300 and up helmets were really more protective than other lower priced brands. DOT standards are a minimal safer standard, while the Snell standard is required for racing. Racing is different than street riding. Also an expensive helmet tends to offer more in terms of fit and accessories - lids, visors, radios, etc. ... . It comes down to comfort and fit. They're as important as the brand you select.

-Wolf

MooseMax

• This space for rent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 11:13:51 PM »
Bright colors are the way to go.  Toss it in the freezer overnight to kill lice.  ;)
People 250
San Francisco, USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 12:15:53 AM »
I can change out the entire pad system on my HJC and Nolan for a modest sum.
Even use different thicknesses of padding to improve the fit of the shell, to a degree.
Old shell, new guts. Feels & smells like new.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 12:33:05 AM »
Fits like a glove, a "Score" with this purchase, Was walking around the house wearing it (when I got home form picking up the new scooter). My no name full face (had a name I just don't remember it off hand) was the one I wore to P/U the GT; the front of my head just above the eyebrows was rubbed raw. This Shoei may be the best fitting helmet I have ever worn. I believe I got lucky...

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 01:49:55 AM »
Bright colors are the way to go.  Toss it in the freezer overnight to kill lice.  ;)

That won't kill the bugs and certainly not the eggs. Taxidermist have proven that and use only deadly gas (they must be licensed to do so). Only safe treatments that work are either those that smother or heat. Smothering works if you repeat the process over a week to kill the eggs. Heat as in a hot soapy wash will do the job usually in one application. Many who raise poultry for fly tying feathers use the hot wash method followed by gas just before shipment.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 09:43:05 AM »
Wont dry heat desiccate them like they do to bed bugs and wont they die after being without a host for a period of time?

Then use a lice solution from CVS etc.

I agree cool temps will preserve them. I have seen insects come to life after 2 weeks in a freezer.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 09:46:00 AM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »
Fits like a glove, a "Score" with this purchase, Was walking around the house wearing it (when I got home form picking up the new scooter). My no name full face (had a name I just don't remember it off hand) was the one I wore to P/U the GT; the front of my head just above the eyebrows was rubbed raw. This Shoei may be the best fitting helmet I have ever worn. I believe I got lucky...
LUCKY YES!
People.....watch videos on helmet fitting.
Wear it around the dealer showroom for min. 20 mins to check fit and comfort.
Must fit very snug, but not uncomfortable.
Only can do this in person with each type or brand of helmet....a med hjc is not the same fit as any other brands or style from hjc.
Rolling the dice with boxers over your head ordering online without trying it on.
Just mhop
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 12:20:11 PM »
Wearing a helmet is good. Wearing a properly fitted helmet is so much better for your safety.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()