Author Topic: Leaning towards the People GT  (Read 2253 times)

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
Leaning towards the People GT
« on: August 18, 2015, 01:30:48 AM »
Looked at the deals offered from the folks shipping 2013's.
After considering the tax, the shipping, the out of State fees for titling, the anxiety I know I would have during what might be a three week process; decided to forgo the bargain price...

Looked at the all the local dealers; worlds of difference between them. Some downright stupid & rude(how they stay open is beyond me). A couple have a nice demeanor, but they have very poor numbers...

Even went back to my old HD dealership. Test rode 4 Harleys this morning (a 750 Street, a 883 Super Low, Sportster 1200C, and a Dyna). What I found, instantly, was I am no longer willing to put up with huge weight in a bike. Three of them were over 580 pounds curb weight; only the 750 Street was under (by about 80 pounds or so). I thought I was riding cement mixers. It was an effort to run the five or six mile test route we rode through. The handling was horrible on all but the 750. These were pre-owned and in better than average shape but they were all thousands more than People GT. The 750 was a nice bike!, weight wasn't too bad, nimble, quick; but I was cramped; the pegs and the seat are too close together. Your knees get forced way up in the air. Lousy seat, no extras, like windscreen or storage; it would have been a $1,000 to set it up so I could bring home a bag of groceries, sit comfortably and take the Mrs. for short rides.

After a couple of weeks of intensive searching, including horrible low ball offers on my scooter and all sorts of rides (all found lacking); I end up back at the Kymco dealer I chose in the first place...

The deal he is offering gives me reasonable price on the "buy back" of the Like. It has the People GT going for a bit less than MSRP (and no add on fees). I'll sleep on it and then see how it looks tomorrow :)

GLV55

• View Profile
Re: Leaning towards the People GT
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 03:33:45 AM »
Please keep us posted. We'll be waiting to see what you decide on. It is amazing how big and heavy those HDs are - and expensive to boot. I was talking to a guy in the parking lot about his HD, and I came to the conclusion that even though his bike can blow me away on the top end, I can still keep up with him off the line AND I can buy about 5 scooters for what he's got tied up in his bike. Oh yeah, I don't have to shift either.  :D
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
I know where you are coming from
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 12:25:23 PM »
I have owned a few motorcycles over the years. Almost all have been good machines, especially the Yamaha's.
My wife had an scooter and I discovered that I really enjoyed riding it.
I decided to try out a kymco people gti300.
I was impressed with the way it ran and bought it. Sold my motorcycle.
After 2+ years of ownership I am still very pleased with my gt.
I do not ride long distances anymore 125-150 miles would be my limit nowadays.

A friend of mine recently bought a Fatboy. He is new to cycles and he wanted me to ride it and check it out good. It is a decent machine and ran good but, I did not like it at all. Very cumbersome and heavy.
If he offered to trade even for my gt with the stipulation that I had to keep it, ride it, and not sell it, I would not trade.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
Re: I know where you are coming from
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 04:12:31 PM »
I have owned a few motorcycles over the years. Almost all have been good machines, especially the Yamaha's.
My wife had an scooter and I discovered that I really enjoyed riding it.
I decided to try out a kymco people gti300.
I was impressed with the way it ran and bought it. Sold my motorcycle.
After 2+ years of ownership I am still very pleased with my gt.
I do not ride long distances anymore 125-150 miles would be my limit nowadays.
After having ridden some of the beasts i have owned, I never thought a HD 883 would feel clunky and heavy, but it did. Two months on a a scooter (my Like200i) will change you... Waiting to see if there is a problem with getting "Black" (just don't care for the gold, personal preference)...

A friend of mine recently bought a Fatboy. He is new to cycles and he wanted me to ride it and check it out good. It is a decent machine and ran good but, I did not like it at all. Very cumbersome and heavy.
If he offered to trade even for my gt with the stipulation that I had to keep it, ride it, and not sell it, I would not trade.

bucray

• forever young
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 07:55:59 PM »
I've had a GTI 300 for about 1 1/2 years and for the most part completely satisfied.  I finally found a seat pad that did the job, and, got a slipstreamer windshield.  It ain't perfect, and, it was exspensive, but, all in all, I'm as happy as a pig in poop.

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 09:37:56 PM »
I agree completely. I had a Harley for 13 years, but at age 66, I decided that over 600 lbs was too much for me to handle. In 2010 I bought a People 150. Great little scooter, but not quite enough top end for the interstates. In 2012 I bought my GTI 300. It weighs about 350 lbs, has no clutch, is quiet, cruises at 70+, and gets almost 70mpg. What's not to like!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:41:11 PM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics.         

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 06:57:08 AM »
I had a Like before I bought my GT and I am so glad I made the switch. I did like the Like but it just did not have the horses I wanted. Also, the GT rides so much better with the 16 inch wheels. That poor little Like bout beat me to death!
   Once you have your GT you will never look back. It is such a great ride! Let's is know what happens.

Good luck and ride safe, mscmkr

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 10:01:23 AM »
My dealer is a small shop. He usually carries "one" of whatever the model is he wants to handle.
In the People GT category he had a 2015 Gold one. I'm usually not too picky, but I just didn't care for Kymco's Gold color. I told him I wanted black. He emailed me later and said in black it needs to be a 2016! A few hundred more (not thrilled about that); but the model year will be 2016 instead of 2015 and I get the black which I preferred over the gold. Plus the scooter s fresh from the factory and hasn't had a spell on the floor of a showroom...
Will be at my dealer either Thursday or Friday depending upon whether they got it on a truck on Tuesday or if it will leave today...

Didn't get the lowest price award. However the deal also gets me out of the Like (at a figure higher than any other dealer would allow, seven to eight hundred more on the little scoot), and into the 2016 GT at just under MSRP with no dealer fees... In addition I am now a "Two Purchase" customer of the same dealer, which I believe gives me a solid position relative to ongoing service.

The wheels (16"), the perfectly matched top case, the fold out mini-floor boards for the passenger, all combined to make me choose this over the downtown.

We'll see :)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 10:55:27 PM »
Well, well,
Good for you Papa ~!
This by all accounts is a pretty nice scooter you've chosen!
Unless you're planning an Anchorage to Ensenada run - the People GT should cover all your needs. (although I've read a superb posting by two youngsters who took a used SYM 170cc all across the States..... So, maybe you could do it when you retire?)
Envy you the big wheels!
Yes please hold the orange/gold color. I can think of a lot better colors for that scoot.
Shiny black will give you something to wax Sunday afternoons when to wet to ride.
Don't know much about the ease of servicing this scooter - but with your friendly dealer & your multi-purchase Hx that might not be a concern.

I think you're going to be pretty happy with this scoot - see the justgottascoot reviews of this bike - he loved it.

Some of us very cautious people have to ease into this whole scooterin' business.
See if it works for us - still blows up our skirt s0 t0 speak. (I haven't slept in on a day off since bringing home the LIKE a couple of summers ago -- still jumping up before daylight and roll the scoot out for a couple of hours. I'll catch up on my sleep when I get old. With the battery gloves cold hands are no longer an issue....and have proven that corneas don't quickly freeze even if the snot does.) OK, so it took me 3 scoots to get the grunt, lift and ABS I wanted. I also hated flying in Huey's - but then I got OK with it. Still don't like mean people....

Funny guy - the scooter has to be spanking new - but puts his noggin in a used helmet.
(great price for a good helmet)
(i'm just one of those guys that buys the bit about replacing a helmet if it rolls off of the bed)

Day-glo yellow noodle on a screaming black scooter ~!!
We gotta have pictures please (park with lights on in front of a JC Penney's window & take a snap, like so - 
I used the city bldg.
Stig
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 11:00:34 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 05:42:00 AM »
I've been more pleased with my People GT than I was with the three before. It runs quick. Once took a Mustang GT in a drag. I've made patches on the pavement with it too lol. Looks better without the trunk but is more useful with the trunk. I had bolts on the exhaust sheild rattle out so do yourself a favore amd check them all yourself along with all bolts and screws on it. MPG is great but depends on how you ride it. Riding "spirited" will get you high 50s to low 60s but taking it easy will get you mid 60s to low 70s. Got 70 mpg my last tank and 71.4 the tank before. My lowest was 58 or 56. Have fun and stay frostie.

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 03:51:17 PM »
Waiting for the dealer to tell me the delivery truck came (then about an hour and a half trip with traffic).
Re-reading forum posts.
Stig that photo you shot in the store window is a nice photo. I guess i haven't done that (shoot photos) for two reasons; one, my giant Mushroom Head 3/4 white summer helmet is not photogenic and two the Like needs a key to open the glove compartment and that would require the scooter to be turned off and on and off and on (to shoot me on the bike, running, in a window's reflection) , because the creature of habit keeps his iPhone in the locked glove compartment wedged between the flaps of his wallet...
But for the new machine (when it gets here) I will try to remember to keep the phone handy at dusk, near storefronts :)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 09:00:27 PM »
I don't think you will be disappointed, Papa!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 12:03:01 AM »

But for the new machine (when it gets here) I will try to remember to keep the phone handy at dusk, near storefronts :)
Good thinking.....
(XXXXL HJC helmet here - you read that right)
Small camera in pocket.....see something - hop off, shoot - hop on and away you go. More interesting with the lights on, or Tractor Beams - if Republicans are active.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()