Author Topic: battery & mystery lead  (Read 965 times)

Pez

• View Profile
battery & mystery lead
« on: August 15, 2015, 03:28:25 AM »
Hi . I have owned a Downtown 300i for almost a year and have had to recharge the battery twice . The first time my fault left on all weekend but yesterday I turned scoot on but didn't start it took a phone call for almost 1 hour then i noticed battery light was on and she wouldn't start. 1 hour of just headlights on doesn't seem long to flatten a battery. Once you have removed the seat and storage compartment to access the battery I found a lead with a plug on the end or rather the female part of a lead to recieved a plug. Can anyone tell me what this is for please and if it's something I should be able to access through the top of the seat compartment to plug in a charger of sorts rather than disassemble the whole seat etc.
Thanks for any advice. Pez

2wheelfun

• View Profile
Re: battery & mystery lead
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 03:30:42 AM »
You need to deep charge your batt then see if it meets your scoots draw. If it doesn't its time for a new batt.

Pez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 03:52:20 AM »
Thanks. Deep charge I'm guessing is just put it on charge with a normal charger for a good few hours. I'm gunna buy a battery checker thingy  8) I'm sure you can buy something  that tells you the output or whatever it's called lol.
Pez..

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 03:55:16 AM »
Deep charge means 24hours Sir.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 04:40:38 AM »
Don't deep cycle your battery if you can help it. It damages it. The cord is most likely the female end to a trickle charger. You need to slowly charge your battery. It doesnt take 24hrs necessarily.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 12:11:33 PM »
That wire with the plug is for the Kymco analyzer. Should be a little pop up door at the very rear of the underseat tub to access it. Should be a little hook to hang the plug.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 12:25:39 PM »
The DT's dual beam quartz halogen head lights are very powerful. Having them on for a full hour without the engine running will burn the battery out. My mechanic made it a serious point to not leave my scooter on without turning on the engine. Every moment, he pointed out, was killing your battery.

I have a trick charger cable snaking out the back right side of my DT and coiled around the back side reflector for connecting to a trickle charger. If possible see, if you can set your battery/scooter up like that. It will save the hassle of taking of the seat housing.

-Wolf

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 04:42:13 PM »
Exactly, that weekend with the battery left on prolly destroyed your battery. Once they are drained, or deep cycled, they are never the same. One hour on is a long time, even for a huge car battery. I would suggest getting a new battery do you get stranded, it might take a charge and last for a while but you did do damage and it will bite you in the butt later.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()