Author Topic: in the sticks with LIKE200i's 35W headlight  (Read 274 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
in the sticks with LIKE200i's 35W headlight
« on: February 22, 2024, 04:22:56 PM »
Dealing with the age of my eyes, and city riding in the dark with the headlights & streetlights, and signs, and rain....is a challenge with the LIKE200i's 35/35W headlight. I do like the pair of amber running lights flanking the headlight. To even the dumbest driver that 3-light pattern should signal a motor bike of some kind is approaching!

I always ride out from my house in the dark - and most of the ride is out in the countryside, after I've cleared out through the city. Therefore - I can do OK with the LIKE200i's 35/35W headlight.
I must mention, also, that I'm never riding over 35MPH out there in the dark, rain or dry, in deer country!

35W low beam.....

35W high beam

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: in the sticks with LIKE200i's 35W headlight
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 06:39:48 PM »
Stig, I had that same headlight bulb on my S200...and the one time I recall riding in the dark I was outriding (overshooting?) my headlight at just 35 mph. It was very disconcerting riding on city streets where i couldn't see potholes or cracks until it was too late. It felt very unsafe.  Have you considered adding any supplemental / driving lights to your scoot? Not sure how much extra juice our little scoots put out but I'm sure it could power some additional led lighting.

2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 07:56:01 PM »
I don't really like riding my K-Pipe at night, doesn't have the illumination of my AK550 by any means, and my V-strom, illuminates better that my pickup trucks, but the best illumination of anything I have owned, my 1982 Yamaha XV920R with it's 9" round headlamp that uses a typical H4 bulb, reflector & lens is perfection
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 02:57:36 PM »
Get a DTX320 guys, the power of the headlamp is simply stunning!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 09:37:16 PM »
Get a DTX320 guys, the power of the headlamp is simply stunning!

A bike with a good headlight? I can’t even comprehend such a thing!  :D

2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2024, 04:34:20 PM »
A bike with a good headlight? I can’t even comprehend such a thing!  :D
Oh man, twin headlights are good!
the Burgman 400 had great DRL headlights!
I aimed the right further up and to the right for showing me the shoulders of roads.
And the Forza's twin DRL headlights were pretty good, too.

And I am very impressed with the single 55/60W Liberty headlight!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 06:32:42 PM »
I changed the headlight on my X-Town over to LEDS and never looked back.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics.         

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 07:00:59 PM »
I changed the headlight on my X-Town over to LEDS and never looked back.

Curious here...
Headlight reflector/buckets which use a Halogen bulb are designed to work with a Halogen bulb.
Apparently there are some new LED bulbs specifically designed to work in a Halogen bucket.
I understand that a lot of guys never, or very rarely, ride in the dark.

If you do ride in the dark - do you get complaints from drivers with your LED bulb in a Halogen reflector?
I have also read that some riders are fully aware that their LED bulb in a Halogen bucket IS blinding drivers - and they state they do not care, because they really like that white, flood-lit area in front of their bikes.

Stig
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 07:03:35 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2024, 09:57:38 AM »
Never had LED headlamps before the DTX. They’re literally a revelation!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2024, 12:09:00 AM »
I've swapped over a few bikes over a few years.
The newer LEDs mimic halogens better than the old ones, & other than having to adjust the headlight height after the swap I really haven't had any issues over what's now been thousands of miles.
I went on to swap out all the lights on the SYMs since they're brighter, so more visible.  I actually doubled up on the blinkers since the euro/asian blinker locations were already wired.  If someone doesn't see the signals on those bikes they are not looking.

The caveats I'll note are that none of the bikes I've swapped use that 35/35 watt one you have, & they can be interesting to fit, there will be a heat sink or a fan, so being mindful of how that will fit and what it may contact are something to consider.
I used a fan cooled option in my current (2018) Burgman vs. the air cooled ones I used in the SYMs since it helped with clearance for instance.

As far as complaints go.  Not really.  I have gotten flashed a couple times since I swapped the SYMs, but really it's in situations where it was the terrain causing the angle to hit just right, & it would have been that way regardless of what I was riding/driving.

Curious here...
Headlight reflector/buckets which use a Halogen bulb are designed to work with a Halogen bulb.
Apparently there are some new LED bulbs specifically designed to work in a Halogen bucket.
I understand that a lot of guys never, or very rarely, ride in the dark.

If you do ride in the dark - do you get complaints from drivers with your LED bulb in a Halogen reflector?
I have also read that some riders are fully aware that their LED bulb in a Halogen bucket IS blinding drivers - and they state they do not care, because they really like that white, flood-lit area in front of their bikes.

Stig
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 12:14:55 AM by Tromper »
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()