Author Topic: Heated gloves vs heated grips  (Read 545 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Heated gloves vs heated grips
« on: April 15, 2023, 09:26:58 AM »
Which do you guys favour?  Up until now I’ve only used heated grips, but I’m wondering with the new scooter if I might go the heated gloves route?

If, gloves, then I’d probably go with the battery pack rather than wired to the scoot’s battery. Thoughts?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: Heated gloves vs heated grips
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 03:19:01 PM »
I've had both.

Actually I've only had the heated grips since Nov 2021 when I bought my AK 550 since that is the first bike I've owned with heated grips.

Back in 2006 I had already been riding in cold central Iowa weather all winter for several years. For my Gold Wing there was enough wind protection that my hands were good with just very good winter riding gloves. But then I bought my first Burgman 650 in 2006 and I needed something more since my hands were out in the wind a lot more.

I considered heated grips but was concerned about what I was constantly reading about how those are great in cool weather but in cold weather the backs of the hands get very cold while the palms are toasty warm. I didn't like that idea. I ended up going with heated gloves since those concentrate most of the heat on the backs of my hands and all the way out to my finger tips. Those worked for me really well down to well below zeroF temps (as low as -15F or a little lower) keeping my hands toasty all over even at those temps.

I did run a fused wire from the battery to a glove heat controller that I put on the dash and then to the pigtail that I ran through my jacket and out the arms of the my jacket to the gloves. That worked well also and I didn't have to wonder if I had enough battery  for a several hours long ride.

With my AK I decided that since I now have heated grips I'd "cut the cord" and figure out what to do about keeping the back of my hands warm. I found that using handlebar muffs that my hands feel like they are in cozy little caves kept warm all over by the heated grips. I bought mine from Kemimoto since those hold their shape so I can slip my hands in without holding them open with an extra hand. The price was way better than Hippo Hands brand. This setup has worked really well keeping my hands warm in temps also below zeroF. Was -2F on one ride early this year but temps haven't been as cold as some years past. I also didn't need to set my heated grips more than just LOW until the temps were below +5F and then only needed to go to medium. My heated grips have LOW/MEDIUM/HIGH settings... which is plenty for me.

OH, and I admit I ride in some much colder temps than most riders do and I dress to keep the rest of me warm in those cold temps so there's that. I also found that heated grips turned on while also using heated gloves really doesn't work so well. I do keep warm but I didn't feel any difference with grip heat on or off while the heated gloves were on. And there is a grip heater temp sensor at the grips that is messed with when heated gloves are working while holding the heated grips. I did use my heated gloves with my AK until I figured out about using the bar muffs with the heated grips.

Recommendations:
If you have heated grips then easy to add the bar muffs and not worry about having battery power for the ride.
If you only take shorter rides... less than a half hour up to an hour max... then battery powered heated gloves might work out for you. Otherwise, plug in.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 03:25:23 PM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 06:58:35 PM »
Thanks Bob, I thought from your vast experience of these things your contribution would be useful, ... and it was!  Especially the Recommendations.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 12:12:39 AM »
I have a psychological aversion to being tethered to a scooter so no wired gloves. My CanAm had heated grips as did the AK550, I’ve wired up my B400 with heated grips. The inside of the hand stays comfy but the heated grips do nothing for the back of the hand. Bob solved this problem with muffs. For me, that is the same as a wire tether. I don’t ride in anywhere near as cold temps as Bob. Therefore, if I wished to extend my riding calendar, I’d opt for a battery powered glove.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 09:39:22 AM »
Thanks Manc, I’m inclined to agree.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 03:52:59 PM »
When I initially considered my wired heated gloves setup I thought about that. But the fact of the matter is that IF I departed the bike for any reason the plugs separate easily enough that the cable does not in any way impede my departure. Just like the safety tether on a Jet Ski. So it became a non-issue in my mind. I felt it was more important to not be worried about using up the battery power before I was done with my ride in the cold temps I ride in. I have many times parked my bike and forgotten to unplug the heated gloves cord when I got off the bike to walk into a store or when I parked it in the garage after a ride and sometimes I didn't even notice until after a few steps away I realized the connector had separated. No damage to the cord since those are designed that way.

To me this is even less of an issue than using 2 fingers or all 4 fingers on the brake levers.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2023, 07:51:32 PM »
I've run a few combo's of this.
- Just heated grips.  Worked OK, but my hands tended to cramp a little, not debilitating, but uncomfortable, for a bit before they warmed through.
- Heated grips and wired heated gloves.  Much better.  No cramps.
- Heated gloves all but the palms (Battery and wired).  This was OK but like the grips only it took a bit to be comfortable, no cramps though.
- Heated gloves, palms included (battery).  Works OK, but they're made from fabric so the wind cuts through them so I turn 'em up a notch or two sometimes.  I think leather would be better. Esp. cuz you can wax that and waterproof 'em a bit better.  This is what I currently have.

For all of them I think some kind of wind blocker would help as well.  One bike had it, the difference was notable.  Even something as simple as 101 barkbusters.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 01:45:57 AM »
I've been riding with 7 V heated in glove liners for 10 years - worn under leather gauntlets.
3 heat ranges. Never a problem lasting 3 to 4 hours out in trmps down to high 20's Fahrenheit.
Also ride with 7 V heated gauntlets.
Both sets have batteries in the cuff. Not a bother removing frequently for pics.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 07:25:21 AM »
Tromper, Stig, thanks guys for your input. Stig I knew you were a cordless heated glove kinda guy and that’s what got me thinking that way!  Just doing some research on what’s on the market over here. Will let you all know what I come up with.

Edit. The gloves I like (Keiss 701S*) don’t come with a battery pouch and, over here at least, you pay £190 for the gloves and then a further £80 for the battery pack!  I may just have to go the hard wired route?  A bit more research first I think?

* https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/558285?glCountry=GB&gclid=CjwKCAjw6IiiBhAOEiwALNqncZ20GH7gzE_x-pAyXhJGISCk0-N5EEq5ql93nyOL6iMg3zsxvYW-PxoClVQQAvD_BwE
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 07:45:03 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()