Author Topic: Aftermarket parts?  (Read 3152 times)

aidanpryde18

• View Profile
Aftermarket parts?
« on: September 23, 2010, 04:53:52 PM »
So, saw some videos of the J. Costa Variator and looked around at some other aftermarket variators and clutches etc.

I was wondering if anyone has done some modification to their yagers? If a part doesn't specifically say yager, do parts designed for the power train of the other 200-level scoots work on the yager?

YagerMeister

• View Profile
Re: Aftermarket parts?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 07:10:05 PM »
Short answer, probably not.  Or at least, it might, but there's no way for you to know for sure.  The Yager has some pieces in common with other bikes, but there's no way to know for sure which ones without some experimentation.  The Yager/Dink 200/Frost do not seem to have much performance parts support, even in Japan where scooters are a big craze (granted, most Japanese ride Japanese brand scooters). 

My only planned mod (for now) is the LeoVince exhaust, which you can order direct off their website.

CapnJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »
I just went to the LeoVince site and they don't have an exhaust for the Yager 200i. You can't just use an exhaust for the dink 200, its not EFI. The Yager exhaust has an O2 sensor mounted in it that you need for the EFI to work properly.
I've been looking for aftermarket parts for my Yager and am not having any luck.
2 wheels is 2 wheels, But China Ain't Taiwan.

YagerMeister

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 08:26:44 PM »
The Dink 200i (emphasis on "i") is fuel injected.  See the diagram from LeoVince's site.  It lists the exhaust as being for the Dink 200i and shows the bung for the O2 sensor:
https://www.leovinceusa.com/schematics/large/DT-7464.pdf

CapnJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 07:19:12 PM »
I didn't see that when I went to the site. How are you going to remap the EFI unit? Are you going to modify the air intake system? I'm very interested in how you make out because I would probably go with another exhaust after my warranty is up. To be honest this scoot runs pretty good as is. I also wonder if a different variator wouldn't be a better performance upgrade.

YagerMeister

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 06:52:02 PM »
Any further mods are probably unnecessary.  I have a Yamaha fuel-injected scooter and after installing a Yoshimura pipe, it runs great.  I also know someone with a Vespa GTS250ie that added the LeoVince 4Road to his with no further tuning.  That said, whether the Kymco will run and idle just right after putting on the exhaust remains to be seen, but I'm willing to bet it will be fine.  Since it is water cooled, so long as it runs smoothly, heat buildup due to any slight leaning out of the mixture should be of minimal concern.  I don't recommend fooling with the air intake tract on any FI scoot since usually that causes more problems than it solves, IMHO.  An exhaust will probably not enhance the scooter's real-world performance that much (if at all) the reason I want to do it is primarily so the bike won't sound like a lawn mower.

If a variator exists for this bike, I'm unaware of it.  However, putting different weights in the variator shouldn't be too difficult, since most of them are universal.  The bike is a bit lazy at launch, and that could probably be alleviated with weights, but keep in mind that will also have a potentially negative effect on top-end.  Messing with the variator is like a game of tug-of-war with low and top-end power.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 07:47:32 PM »
I think the ecu should control the amount of fuel required, I believe this is the job of the o2 sensor?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

CapnJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 04:59:14 PM »
YagerMeister,
         I'd appreciate it if you would keep me posted as to how you make out with the exhaust.

YagerMeister

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 07:43:42 PM »
Sid, even vehicles with O2 sensors have a finite range of self-adjustment on the fuel mixture.  Again, that said, I don't think it will be an issue.  I've seen several FI bikes without O2 sensors do just fine with just an exhaust and no further mods.

CapnJ, sorry but I will probably keep you waiting awhile.  I don't plan on buying the exhaust until early next year as my budget probably won't be able to cough up an extra $400 until then.  But I will post when it's on.

CapnJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 12:56:19 PM »
YagerMeister,
        I hear what your saying about coming up with the bucks. Whenever you do get to it I'll be looking for it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()