Author Topic: Jay Leno & Honda Super-Cub  (Read 414 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Jay Leno & Honda Super-Cub
« on: February 21, 2020, 10:30:26 PM »

If you haven't seen one of these new Cubs in person - I saw a pair of them in my coffee village last summer.
Won't debate the price with you - but I was very impressed by the fit and finish of this bike.
Actually, I haven't seen them all or owned & serviced a great many (just 6), but I cannot remember the last time I was not impressed by the build quality & finish on a Honda motorcycle or scooter.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Jay Leno & Honda Super-Cub
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 12:08:18 AM »
Leno talks about the Bridgestone 350 - before they quit bikes and just made tires.
I had a '68 Honda CB350 and a buddy had a red Bridgestone. After doing OJT as Army medics-in-training at the dispensary for the medics training area  at Ft Sam Houston, TX, we'd come out and fire up our Japanese bikes after a Texas downpour and go home.....while the two guys with British bikes were still kicking their brains out in our rear view mirrors :)

That CB was my 3rd Honda bike....and I was still 19 yrs old. The Hondas were the only transportation my wife & I had in the 1st years of our marriage. I swore that if I ever had to buy a car - it would have to be a VW - the only auto with the same build quality as my Honda bikes (at the time only VW & Rolls Royce had 2 yr warranties - and I couldn't afford a Rolls on Army pay.) All 6 of our kids came home from the hospital in VWs.

Stig
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 12:11:38 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 12:34:18 AM »
Flashback to my Honda Hawk 250....oiltight, easy starting in summer, crabby bear in winter! That restored BSA 650 was rebuilt vewy, vewy cawfuwwy and started reliably IF the established start routine was followed EXACTLY!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 02:02:30 PM »
Flashback to my Honda Hawk 250....oiltight, easy starting in summer, crabby bear in winter! That restored BSA 650 was rebuilt vewy, vewy cawfuwwy and started reliably IF the established start routine was followed EXACTLY!
Used to joke over here that Beezers (and Triumphs) ran total loss lubrication systems!  Always a pool of oil under them lol.  John Bloor spoiled all that with his oil tight Hinckley Triumphs.  Mind you, he converted this cynic and sinxce the mid-90's I've now owned 5 of them, including a Daytona 955i that I ran for 20 years.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 09:08:59 AM »
Jay not so knowledgeable-----cub does not have "oil bath" chain case----just case where chain is protected from dirt/grit.  Took them awhile to realize Cub was electric start.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 09:22:23 AM »
LOL
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 01:23:13 PM »
Jay not so knowledgeable-----cub does not have "oil bath" chain case----just case where chain is protected from dirt/grit.  Took them awhile to realize Cub was electric start.
Jay's never owned a Cub - but ask him about his Honda CBX! His first new vehicle, purchased in 1981,  and still rides it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=GMWurGORq_8&feature=emb_title
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()