Author Topic: Blowing Headlight Bulbs / Voltage too high  (Read 209 times)

Scootmaster

• If you're too busy to ride, you're too busy!
    • View Profile
Blowing Headlight Bulbs / Voltage too high
« on: October 14, 2023, 08:29:06 PM »
I have a 2009 Xciting 500Ri. It runs great and always has but a few months ago it started burning out my headlight bulbs. The low beams blow out quickly. The high beams don't burn out but it is very brite and has melted my headlight lense. I will have to replace that when I correct the voltage issue. With it running, it's putting out 18vdc when it's running. I'm afraid it's going to fry instrument cluster or other electronics. I'm thinking it's a bad Voltage Regulater. Looking for ideas on what else it could be and how to diagnose a bad regulater or stator. Thanks in advance for your help.
2011 Kymco People 50
2009 Kymco Xciting 500Ri
2004 Honda VTX1300S
2008 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Blowing Headlight Bulbs / Voltage too high
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 08:42:41 PM »
@Scootmaster welcome here!
You read out 18V after your regulator at the battery, right? Blows bulbs?
Then you can say with a 99% accuracy, it's the regulator/ rectifier. An very common and known  issue on many modern motorcycles.
(pls see link)
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=33615.0

Had the same issue on several scooters lately. Take any reg/rect (brand) which you can get. Some last longer, some shorter and are inexpensive. Internet platforms offer plenty from €28,- to €42,- all pretty much the same.
It's not worth the work to open, clean out, change burned diodes and EC.

You can take any reg, also from Grand Dink/Yager 250 or...etc.as long as they have 3 yellow and a red and black cable.

Very easy to change, two 10mm nuts hold it in place, goes without removing sidepanel.
For our 500th is the standard 5 cable (3 yellow, from generator,  1 red 1black to battery) the right one.

After that you might change your halogen H4 bulb to a fancooled LED H4 and LED position lamps, has some benefits.
Maybe give us a feedback to learn.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 09:41:07 AM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()