Author Topic: Could really use some help please  (Read 2425 times)

clrains

• View Profile
Could really use some help please
« on: August 27, 2023, 06:32:25 PM »
Hello, new to the forum here and new to Kymco Scooters. I bought a used 2009 xciting 500i with 7000 miles.  Rode it home 2 hours. No issues.  Put it on my lift and gave it a full service. Plug, air filter, changed oil. News tires, new brake pads , new belt. The works. Took it out last Sunday for a day ride and she ran like a top. I was all smiles. Loving the new scooter.  Last Monday went out to crank her and she would not start. I would cranks strong but won’t catch to start. Starting trying to resolve this problem. Checked spark. It’s strong. Acts like it’s not getting fuel. Pulled the injector and saw that fuel was only coming out of one of the four ports (holes) so I ordered a new injector thinking this was the problem.

While waiting for the new injector to arrive I pulled the fuel pump. Everything there looks ok.
When I remove the fuel line and cycle the key, full will pumps. Installed new injector today and still won’t start.  Checked voltage at the injector and it’s producing 10+ volts. 

Now I’m stumped. I don’t have a Kymco dealer anywhere close to me. Is there anyone where who has either had this happen to of can maybe offer suggestions that knows more about Kymco than I do.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Curtis.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Could really use some help please
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 06:42:29 PM »
Sounds like your injector is plugged with snot from bad fuel.

Reverse flush the injector. Do it yourself or take it to a shop that does EFI injectors. Post here if you want to do it yourself and I and/or others will describe the proceedure.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

clrains

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 09:17:54 PM »
I thought it was the injector as well. I ordered a new one and installed it. It has made no difference. The bike will just crack but never start.  Is it possible the new injector is also plugged up?

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 09:22:22 PM »
Welcome here!
First action I would set:
-jumpstart cables from a car battery to see if it starts then, if YES your battery is dead
Second:
-check the scoots sidestand switch, if this switch is faulty it cranks but does not start
Third:
- check killswitch
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

clrains

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 10:57:53 PM »
Have confirmed that the battery is good.  With the side stand down. The fuel pump will not energize, when the side stand is up the fuel pump will come on. Also confirmed that the kill switch is working properly.  I am beyond baffled. Is there any other “safety” switch that I’m over looking?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 11:35:43 PM »
No the new injector is not plugged up. You said your original injector had fuel coming out of only four holes. I was assuming there are more than four holes like the injectors in my Kymcos. So, how many holes are there?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

clrains

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 01:16:00 AM »
The injector has 4 holes   The old injector I could only consistently get fuel out of 1 hole.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 09:43:46 AM »
Did you check your brake switches?
Brake lights on when pressed?
LH and RH all fine?

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 09:51:21 AM »
As I read, you did a full service.

I assume you did NO valve adjusting because this is a PITA at this 500, for you have to lower/lift the motor to take off valve cover.

So far so good. No change there to worry about.
Check into motorbay for any unplugged cables!

One more thought:
-since the sparkplug cap is pretty long and very hard to apply, maybe your cap came loose and is not on the sparkplug?
-or one of your ignition coil cables is off or loose?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 10:22:29 AM by Ruffus »

clrains

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 02:25:12 PM »
All brake switches work great.   No, I did not do a valve check when I did service.
When I pulled the plug to check spark, I was getting good spark and just assumed that the coil wire was connected.  I will double check that when I get home from work this evening

Can anyone tell me how the cold start choke is supposed to work. There is a nipple at the end of it but I don’t know if it’s supposed to actuate back-and-forth when you turn the key on or how exactly it operates

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2023, 07:18:03 PM »
If you open this little lid in your metin-box (view onto air and choke system) watch it and
-pull brake lever
-press start button
you will see a small movement on your air system, caused by scoots ECU via a small motor to reduce airflow and enrich your fuel mixture

AFAIK there is NO manual possibility to regulate a "choke" or cold start "bystarter".

I'm waiting for my diagtool to look into this matters.

For this sparkplug cap: If it wiggles only a little bit (original cap) it's not connected properly, must sit tight and close without any sideways movement.

Maybe try to reset: pls see link
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=30229.msg211198#msg211198
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 07:58:22 PM by Ruffus »

clrains

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2023, 01:26:21 AM »
I will look into that more tomorrow afternoon. When I had the “choke” out of the bike I could feel it vibrating when I powered the key on, I was not sure how it operated.

Another update. It seems like the new injector is working properly. I get fuel out of the 4 ports on the injector.  Have tested the side stand switch and it is operating properly. Side stand down, fuel pump shuts off. Side stand up fuel pump energizes and works.
I have checked the spark plug twice and it is giving spark. This is the weird part for me. When I spray some starting fluid into the throttle body and try to start, it will “chug” once like it wants to start but won’t.

I would think (please correct me if I’m wrong)  but with starting fluid into the throttle body. The engine should start and run for a few seconds but it simply doesn’t

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2023, 07:04:52 AM »
I will look into that more tomorrow afternoon. When I had the “choke” out of the bike I could feel it vibrating when I powered the key on, I was not sure how it operated.

Another update. It seems like the new injector is working properly. I get fuel out of the 4 ports on the injector.  Have tested the side stand switch and it is operating properly. Side stand down, fuel pump shuts off. Side stand up fuel pump energizes and works.
I have checked the spark plug twice and it is giving spark. This is the weird part for me. When I spray some starting fluid into the throttle body and try to start, it will “chug” once like it wants to start but won’t.

I would think (please correct me if I’m wrong)  but with starting fluid into the throttle body. The engine should start and run for a few seconds but it simply doesn’t
Now that fuel delivery out the injector solved, recommend a voltage check while cranking. Anything less than 9.5 volts renders no spark. You may also get a weak spark under compression. Plug cap not fully seated or faulty plug wire insulation may be factors.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

clrains

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2023, 10:11:34 AM »
I will check the wire and plug boot as well as volts while cranking, tonight when I get home
I will update once I know.  Thank you.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2023, 06:05:10 PM »
When I had the “choke” out of the bike I could feel it vibrating when I powered the key on, I was not sure how it operated.

This could be the culprit!
If you had your "choke" flap out of your airsystem, there is a good likelyhood to mess up scoots fuelmixture sistem.
Also your TPS (throttle position sensor) could be misplaced somehow and gives irrational values.
All guesswork but we have to start somewhere.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()