Author Topic: Traffic Islands (Roundabouts)  (Read 514 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Traffic Islands (Roundabouts)
« on: July 27, 2023, 01:12:02 PM »
I know that you guys in the States don't (yet) have too many of these, but they're ubiquitous here in the UK.  Protocol is standard for these and generally cause no problems as long as us two wheelers adhere to lane discipline on the multilane approach versions.

This morning however, whilst ferrying young 'un over to his Module 2 riding test on the back of his KTM Adventure 890 I had a "moment" and wondered what you think?

Standard four exits island with 2 lanes (so 8 exits if you count the 4 no entries) and I'm approaching it to carry straight on.  Driver in a white Fiat 500 approaching from my right to turn right and take the same exit as me.  So far so good.  As I get to the "give way" road markings I realise the Fiat is travelling too fast for me to safely merge ahead of them and so I brake to let them clear so I can slot in behind.

Now we get to the interesting bit.  As I brake, so do they!  This means I can no longer slot in behind, but draw alongside them on their nearside, still braking.  It all got a bit messy and doubtless caused some irritation to following traffic who were held up slightly as we finally sorted ourselves out. 

No real danger as such to anyone as we both had sufficient time to slow etc., but the lesson I took from this was the reminder never to assume that other road users will apply the same driving skills that you do.  Had the Fiat maintained their momentum, then no drama.  As it was, they did something I didn't expect - but should have!  Always expect the unexpected and ride accordingly.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Traffic Islands (Roundabouts)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 01:49:51 PM »
Surprisingly, roundabouts are becomingly increasingly popular here. Many intersections have been rebuilt as a roundabout and they appear in a lot of new areas. Almost all of the ones I can think of are single lane approaches. Only one is a multi lane road going into the roundabout.

I like how my town post signs at roundabouts that say in very large font - ‘Yield to the left’..(yours would say ‘yield to the right?”).

Interesting little traffic incident you described..at least the speeds tend to be low in roundabouts, minimizing the danger.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 02:46:16 PM »
Yes Hawk it's the same convention here, Give Way to traffic from the right and traffic already on the roundabout has right of way.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 03:45:15 PM »
Pls let me chip in here too for Italia:

- both of you are right, the  driver within this rotunda has theoretically right of way as long he/she not indicates by hand/ blinker or somehow
to leave the circle

BUT here in Italy in reality only IF he /she sits in a truck/ lorry or something which looks and weights as much as a middleclass fighting vehicle a.k.a. tank in common language.
The right of way after them has in that fighting order
-SUVs
-family combis
-Piaggio APEs
-police and carabinieri
-military vehicles
- baby strollers
-byciclists
-scooteristi
-motoristi
And of course the ambulance which patches up the rolled-over biker.😉
-
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 03:48:47 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 04:03:31 PM »
Since we over here drive on the "RIGHT" side of the road...  ;D

Yes, as Hawk said, these are becoming more common over here in larger metro areas. But unfortunately not all who have to use them have yet figured out proper protocol while using them. Fortunately most of the time I'm riding through the traffic is lower and the locations I am riding also just have less traffic so it doesn't get too exciting... sometimes.

I've always considered it to be NORMAL that any traffic coming to the round-about is suppose to yield to any traffic already IN the circle. This is per the state code (law) for these (I used to work for the state government so have read a lot of that state code). But I've also learned to expect the unexpected. Once in a while someone IN the circle does what you described and begins to stop for traffic waiting to enter. BAD MOVE, IMO. More often I see someone in front of me about to enter the round-about but stops for another driver also not yet in the round-about on the side street. JUST NO. Then there's the ignorant who constantly change lanes within the round-about.

I went through 4 of them this morning. All are 2 lane approaches. We have mostly traffic circles vs the round-about. Traffic circles are a bit smaller diameter. They often have a recommended speed limit of 15 mph (24-25 km/h). I usually run though them at almost double that if possible.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 04:07:31 PM »
Several round abouts here and drivers were against them at first.  Many still lack the reasoning to slow down and leave space so vehicles can merge into the cross traffic and keep the flow going.  Old habit of not giving way thinking only of themselves. 

Wiz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2023, 09:01:51 AM »
Talking about Roundabouts always reminds me of this scene.

Current Ride: Gold 2012 People GTI 300.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2023, 10:09:58 AM »
There you go, Neil! You should have known the pizza in the Topolino would do something like that! Har, har!

Great illustration, sir!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2023, 06:56:55 AM »
Thanks Karl. 🙏
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()