Author Topic: Helmet Cams  (Read 6117 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Helmet Cams
« on: May 18, 2016, 07:13:44 PM »
I’m in the market for a good helmet mounted camera, though it can also be of a universal design/mount good for attaching to various part of the bike.
Does anyone have any good suggestions?

- Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Helmet Cams
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 08:11:36 PM »
Go-Pro.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 08:30:16 PM »
My first choice, but there’s a lot to choose from. I’m looking at someone in the $200 -$250 range, that works well in low light, has a good microphone, battery life, and HD 1080 p30 quality. Not sure if other factors are a thing, but if it has stabilization abilities too that would be a plus.

- Wolf

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 03:56:07 AM »
List all the choices you are considering.

Personally I do not like the footprint of the Gopro, if it were me I would look for a more sleeker design.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »
I just got a Drift Ghost S with a Drift mic a couple weeks ago. Satisfied so far. My big deal was that I wanted to be able to put a mic on it so I could narrate while riding. Seems to be working well. I also like the slimmer design vs the GoPro and the rotatable lens so I can mount any which way and it keeps the slim profile. It also has the standard .25" camera screw hole on one side so it mounts to any tripod out there or any device with that standard hookup. Technomoan on youtube has some good comparisons and reviews. Also gives you links to raw footage so you can compare models. Check out my first go at it in the Eye Candy section of this forum.
Wayne

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 02:59:22 PM »
Thanks Wkrps, I’ll check out your footage and the Drift Ghost S as well.

- Wolf

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 03:07:08 PM »
Yes, the drift looks good. More expensive than I’d like, but I like the remote mic, which is something I’d like to use.

- Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 04:16:18 PM »
I have seen other HD cameras that were way cheaper and slimmer than the Go-Pro. At the same places as the GP, like BestBuy. Go for it!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 02:44:06 AM »
I just got the GoPro Session which is the smallest one they make. I love it so far. I got it at Best Buy for 200. Nice and clear video and you can preview it and see it on your smartphone so you can position it correctlly.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 10:46:04 PM »
Mnpugdog, does the GP Session have a microphone, or a port to add one?

- Wolf

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 11:18:07 PM »
the go pro hero 2 has mike and speaker plugs, so the new ones should have the same things, 

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 12:26:09 AM »
Sony Action Camera does great videos, particularly in low light. BUT the mike is awful.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 01:06:35 AM »
The session has a mic on the front and back of the cam, no outputs since the case is waterproof. No extra case needed like the other Go Pro's. With it on top of the helmet I get the wind noise from the wind screen but if you're stopped and cussing someone out it will record it  8) I would think if you wanted to mount it on the bike somewhere behind the wind screen it would pick up more.

I do like that you can use the app to help aim the cam and then after you have it set the way you want all you have to do is push the button on top to start and stop the recording and power. I run it in the loop formation so all it does it just keep recording over it self and I don't have to think about it till something happens and then I will have it on video. And it's in 1080p too at 60 frames per minute. And using it at night is not to bad. There is a couple of places coming home where all you can see real well is what is in the headlight but you can still see some off on the side. During the day the clarity is incredible.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 03:15:05 PM »
Good to know about the microphones. I’d like something I  can narrate to while driving. I may be able to use some of the GoPro cameras from the film dept.  equipment room where I teach, but I’d like to have my own camera that I can use year round. I’ll be doing my research now.

- Wolf

fest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 11:03:24 PM »
Also check Garmin virb. I am not sure about the microphone thing but I think you can attached the mic on the back. But the video quality is excellent. They have basic which is black in colour and elite (white). 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()