Author Topic: Buying OEM parts...  (Read 2263 times)

souzamoto

• View Profile
Re: Buying OEM parts...
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 05:43:57 PM »
I called Kymco USA and they answered on the 6th ring. I asked about plans to import the 550 scooter and he stated they did not know what would be available for 2021. I inquired about parts as well and they are processing orders with some items on back order due to covid 19.  I know there is a minimum for dealers to place a order with Kymco. If the dealer no longer carries Kymco there is little incentive to place a order for a few items. Kymco USA does not sell parts to the public .

There is a minimum order if the dealer wants free freight. A dealer can order a single bolt if he wanted but will pay freight.
CJS

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2020, 06:10:37 PM »
Anything but gleeful that dealers are bailing. But gleeful my predictions came true..in a dark sense. The Memphis area used-to-be dealer said that parts were glacier-slow BEFORE C19.

My harp has been:
1. Dealer techs like most airplane mechs are NOT but barely competent with a few exceptions.
2. Dealers are not required to stock any parts because realistically Kymcos rarely need any.
3. Dealers have a minimum so you have to wait until minimum is met.
4. Kymco USA seems to have no parts in the US so most have to be shipped by an actual ship!
5. Dealers and Kymco USA are not interested in anything the customer thinks.
6. The technical base is right here in this forum.

1. Most Tech's are more competent than the owners of the machines they are working on. Most Tech have attended some type of schooling but experience is the key. If in a multi line dealer, the tech could go from working on a GSXR1000 to a Like 150. The techs skill set is more diverse and it's difficult to be experts on all makes and models.
2. It is recommended by KUS that Kymco dealers stock a minimum parts inventory based on the market area and sales history.
3. There is no minimum. There is if the dealer want free freight from KUS
4. Prior to the new management KUS fill Rate on parts orders was around 96% which is way better than every other OEM on average. KUS uses both Air freight and ship freight. Emergency orders go Air, stocking orders or ship.
5. You've never worked for Kymco so how do you know what Kymco thinks. BTW, you are wrong.
6. Sure the focus on Kymco scooters here is prominent, but when it comes down to it most customers end up screwing the bikes up by doing there own work and then expect warranty. It reminds me of many posts here that claim to be factual but are no where close than actual.
Just my opinion

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 07:07:31 PM »
1. Most Tech's are more competent than the owners of the machines they are working on. Most Tech have attended some type of schooling but experience is the key. If in a multi line dealer, the tech could go from working on a GSXR1000 to a Like 150. The techs skill set is more diverse and it's difficult to be experts on all makes and models.
2. It is recommended by KUS that Kymco dealers stock a minimum parts inventory based on the market area and sales history.
3. There is no minimum. There is if the dealer want free freight from KUS
4. Prior to the new management KUS fill Rate on parts orders was around 96% which is way better than every other OEM on average. KUS uses both Air freight and ship freight. Emergency orders go Air, stocking orders or ship.
5. You've never worked for Kymco so how do you know what Kymco thinks. BTW, you are wrong.
6. Sure the focus on Kymco scooters here is prominent, but when it comes down to it most customers end up screwing the bikes up by doing there own work and then expect warranty. It reminds me of many posts here that claim to be factual but are no where close than actual.
Just my opinion
Then why are there so many posts on nearly all forums/brands complaining? Why have so many dealers bailed? Why are there so many reporting problems with obtaining parts? Why did KUS have an ANSWERING SERVICE for so long? Why do emails to the KUS go unanswered? Why don't they have an automatic acknowledgement for receeipt of an email? Why don't they answer or acknowledge snail mail? Should I just go away?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 07:34:12 PM »
I know there are good techs out there but they seem in a minority. I also know there are good dealers out there but also in a minority. I have worked with some good airplane mechs in my time but like MMI grads, A&P school grads most take their diploma or license as a sign of having all the answers which they don't. Admittedly, I have nothing but experience that forms this opinion and it probably is over cynical but I do not see anyone making many, if any, improvements. I have seen butcher jobs from both owners and techs. It is just initially, expected more from someone in the field and so far, have been disappointed.

Have you heard my "Louie Pelzor story?" The guy who thought he was THE GIFT of Harley Mechanics?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 07:59:54 PM »
Then why are there so many posts on nearly all forums/brands complaining? Why have so many dealers bailed? Why are there so many reporting problems with obtaining parts? Why did KUS have an ANSWERING SERVICE for so long? Why do emails to the KUS go unanswered? Why don't they have an automatic acknowledgement for receeipt of an email? Why don't they answer or acknowledge snail mail? Should I just go away?

Because 90% of everything written on forums/post are complaints. If all happy customers that are happy would post, the ratio of negative would show as more in balance.
Since 2008, scooter sales have declined. Many dealers jumped in, in 2005-6-7 because they were hot then. Since then dealers have been dropping scooter line as the demand is not there. granted, since new management at KUS, things can be more difficult and some dealers choose to focus elsewhere.
KUS let the parts inventory dwindle about 2 years ago. Staff left and the replacements were not in tune on the order system. Stocking orders were not ordered. It's better today but processing orders from dealers can take a day or so and UPS an be slow.
They had an answering service for a short period of time as they were short on staff. The tried the service for a bit until staff was replenished.
Emails: Why is there so much need to email KUS? Believe it or not, the dealers are the best to answer questions even if they have to contact KUS for the answer. No reason for consumers to contact KUS unless in cases like the gentleman with the Xtown recently but in that case, the situation could have been resolved by the dealer if better tact was used by the customer.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 08:45:44 PM »
I have had good experiences dealing with Leeson's for Kymco parts. And you get a real person answering the phone!
2009 GV 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 08:53:51 PM »
Because 90% of everything written on forums/post are complaints. If all happy customers that are happy would post, the ratio of negative would show as more in balance.
Since 2008, scooter sales have declined. Many dealers jumped in, in 2005-6-7 because they were hot then. Since then dealers have been dropping scooter line as the demand is not there. granted, since new management at KUS, things can be more difficult and some dealers choose to focus elsewhere.
KUS let the parts inventory dwindle about 2 years ago. Staff left and the replacements were not in tune on the order system. Stocking orders were not ordered. It's better today but processing orders from dealers can take a day or so and UPS an be slow.
They had an answering service for a short period of time as they were short on staff. The tried the service for a bit until staff was replenished.
Emails: Why is there so much need to email KUS? Believe it or not, the dealers are the best to answer questions even if they have to contact KUS for the answer. No reason for consumers to contact KUS unless in cases like the gentleman with the Xtown recently but in that case, the situation could have been resolved by the dealer if better tact was used by the customer.
Look on Stig/Major Tom post July 5, 2014 about "1st running issue." Read the whole six months of posts and tell me what you would have done. Seems like I cannot find the six months of agony our moderator went through just to get his dealer to honor the 2 year warranty. Found it! All PM's so I can't really post them. Maybe I should find the sack full of posts relating MY problems with an unresponsive dealer who sorta forgot to put the battery clamp in my new Yager. These are typical cross-sections of dealers across the country where Kymco regional sales reps had to be called because of reluctant dealers. Unlike stuo's experience with Leeson's. We even had a thread on here about good dealers and there were a few mentioned. But mostly crickets....
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 10:12:48 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2020, 12:23:00 AM »
one place I'm not seeing support, is in advertising, hunting magazines have big full page ads for other manufacturers UTVs, I would suspect, there is no scooter advertising aimed at retired folks, but go to Kymco website, you find out they make a bunch of electric mobility scooters. How would you know, they don't promote the products, I try my share of word of mouth, locally, They make a good reliable product, for less $$$
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2020, 01:15:28 AM »
Look on Stig/Major Tom post July 5, 2014 about "1st running issue." Read the whole six months of posts and tell me what you would have done. Seems like I cannot find the six months of agony our moderator went through just to get his dealer to honor the 2 year warranty. Found it! All PM's so I can't really post them. Maybe I should find the sack full of posts relating MY problems with an unresponsive dealer who sorta forgot to put the battery clamp in my new Yager. These are typical cross-sections of dealers across the country where Kymco regional sales reps had to be called because of reluctant dealers. Unlike stuo's experience with Leeson's. We even had a thread on here about good dealers and there were a few mentioned. But mostly crickets....
That 6 mos. wasn't all bad Karl....
My wife really liked the pretty red Honda Forza 300 and told me to go ahead and get it -- so I would quit moping around the house with my LIKE200iLX stuck at the dealer with a busted TPS.

Once I had that Honda I quit bugging the dealer - which seemed to spook them. "When you get it fixed, call me & leave a message - I'm out riding!"
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 03:34:43 AM »
If people don't have a issue they are less likely to post. If you have a issue you want to tell everybody regardless of product.  The dealer I use is multi-line and I have bought a new  Kawasaki mule,  jet ski,  KLR 650  along with a few used machines. Did not purchase any of my Kymco's from him but use his parts dept and shop to work on them.  I use ebay a lot for certain things because the great state of Kansas has 9.44% sales tax and no sales tax on mail order. You even have to pay sales tax on a used vehicle along with property tax regardless where you purchase.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 06:25:12 AM »
Believe it or not, the dealers are the best to answer questions

Sounds reasonable - except that for most of us there are no dealers. None. Zero.  What works, in a way, is to find an on-line illustrated parts catalog like this one in the UK: https://www.bike-parts-kymco.uk/ and place orders directly.  Unfortunately, the UK parts dealer only speaks French.  I've managed to find an eBay Kymco parts vendor in Taiwan who speaks pretty good English, and parts can be located using the French Kymco catalog in the UK. But the parts have to be shipped by FedEx which is REALLY expensive.  The bottom line is, yes, parts are available, but shipping is out of this world.  For the life of me, though, I can't understand why Kymco makes it so difficult.  All they have to do is put up an illustrated catalog on-line, and connect to some willing overseas parts dealers who can ship by post.

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2020, 07:19:21 AM »
No dealer here, either, for at least 500 miles. Yeah, maybe on paper, but they have ONE Like in the showroom, and stock ZERO parts, and (when asked) could not tell me the first thing about ANY Kymco at all, other than the size if the engine of the one on the floor. Seriously, they had never even heard if the Downtown.
2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2020, 01:30:40 PM »
I'm sure I posted here this morning - I must be going mad.

Essentially, I agree with Souza.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2020, 02:02:29 PM »
I'm sure I posted here this morning - I must be going mad.

Essentially, I agree with Souza.
So do I on many points. Neither of us are 100% correct except in the instances we have drawn. And neither of us have quoted all our examples.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2020, 02:04:56 PM »
Sounds reasonable - except that for most of us there are no dealers. None. Zero.  What works, in a way, is to find an on-line illustrated parts catalog like this one in the UK: https://www.bike-parts-kymco.uk/ and place orders directly. 

Thanks for the link JJJoseph, bookmarked!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()