Author Topic: ? for an auto electrician - jumping bike from a running car  (Read 643 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Re: ? for an auto electrician - jumping bike from a running car
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2021, 09:51:54 PM »
I was told by a battery dealer to charge a battery that has been low to long and does not hold a charge at 15 amps,.  and it cleans the plates , and desulfates the batterys. is that true,

It’s worth a try. I’ve tried it with car batteries with mixed results. I’ve set the charger on boost to coax life into a long dead battery that wouldn’t accept a charge otherwise and left it there until I see some movement in the amp gauge. Sometimes it has worked, sometimes not.

That’s actually the principle our dealership charger/tester operates on. We have to use that charger before condemning a battery under warranty. From my understanding,  The charger automatically shoots short , calibrated bursts of high voltage/amps into the battery to de sulfate the plates. This is done because some customers (or the dealership) will have allowed a car to be parked too long with a battery in a low state of charge which allows the plates to sulfate. But if the “special charger” is used, sometimes the battery actually will accept and hold a full charge
2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()